Thread: Motorola (Rival) A455 Flashing Guide With Software

Device(s)
    Rival A455
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Smile Motorola (Rival) A455 Flashing Guide With Software

I Have Decided to make life a little easier and write up a flashing Guide for the Rival A455, I have sadly bricked 2 phones in the process so I will be giving pointers that hopefully keeps others from making the same mistake.

** DISCLAIMER **
    First off DO NOT!!!! Try to Downgrade the Rival so far there is no software known that will recover a Bricked Rival most of the tools have been made for older type phones as of the time this is being written

I have Provided a List of Tools Needed in this Guide

Motorola USB Drivers >>> Motorola Rival Basic Drivers

Motorola Software Updater >>> Software Updater

RSD Lite Software >>> RSD Lite 4.5.7

Motorola (Rival) A455 Monster File Rush Ver. 1.29.15 >>> RUSH 1.29.15 MONSTER Provided by Trevor146

Motorola (Rival) A455 UPDATE!!! ONLY Rush Ver. 1.29.24 >>> RUSH 1.29.24 UPDATE

These are the Main Apps Needed I have a few more applications I will Include in this Guide to use, although some may not work with the Rival

QPST V 2.7 Build 301 >>> QPST
    I personally use this software to Program the NAM and Such

P2K Commander Ver. 6 >>> P2k Commander
    Use this Software to Read the EFS of the phone

Motorola Phone Tools Ver. 5 >>> MPT 5
    This Must be updated to use with the Rival it has a live update feature to do so
    This allows you to backup your phone Contacts calander etc etc

Motorola PST General 7.2.3 >>> PST 7.2.3
    This is used also to program the phone and flash it as well it includes a app called Multi Flash/Flex in the Program files
    ** NOTE** Their is a patch called Uni_Patch that MUST be installed in order to use this software, I didn't include it as all the ones I have found have virsus however a good look through Google will yield Results

CDMA Workshop Ver. 2.7 (Full) >>> CDMA Workshop
    A older software that allows to read NAM and other utilities not verified to work 100% with the Rival

Flash Backup Ver. 3.0.7 >>> Flash Backup
    A multi flash backup software, currently not working for Rival

Whew Now that is taken Care of Down to Business

First Download and install the Motorola USB Drivers

Plug in your phone with the Micro USB Cable (Needed) for this phone type

Download the Update and OR Monster pack Depending on what version is currently on the rival

In the Phone go to Setting and Tools >> Phone Info >> SW/HW Version >> Software Version

If the Rush Version is newer than 1.29.24 you will NOT want to attempt flashing as you will recieve a error in the bootloader saying "SW Degrader" and your phone will be a brick unless their is a tool out there to recover a "DeadUSB" Flash for this phone

If you are upgrading to rush 1.29.22 or 1.29.24 from 1.29.15 or older this will work fine

Open RSD Lite and navigate to the .SHX file you have choosen and on the Left if your system has detected the phone properly their will be info displayed about the phone, from there all you will need to do is hit the "Start" button and wait

DO NOT UNPLUG the USB cable or there will be major issues
    After the flashing is complete the phone should restart and the Verizon Logo should appear boot up as expected

The Motorola Software Updater can also do the same thing as the Instructions above however if your phone is older than 1 year old the auto warranty code in the phone will not allow it to be upgraded, it is a easier process but this will do what you need if that is the case

In some cases after flashing the phone be it with MSU or RSD the phone will ask for "Initial Programming" Dial *228 and hit Option "1" on the verizon Network to do what is needed ( *22898 also works)

Here are a few tips that may or may knot be known to Rival Users

Programming Menu
    ##PROGRAM >> "Call" Button
    Security Code "000000"

##HELP >> "Call" Button
    Displays the Same Info as "Phone Info" Menu

##BROWSER >> "Call" Button
    Allows you to tweak the browser setting and create New Web Sessions

##FEATURE >> "Call" Button
    Security Code "000000"
    Allows you to Enable and Disable the Camera and DUN (Dial Up Network)

##DEBUG >> "Call" Button
    Allows you to check the MMS Erros and Location (GPS) Paramaters

Here is how to Manually Acess the Bootloader without Flashing (In Case you want to see what it looks like)

Provided by karlthegewgaw
    To go into bootloader mode with the rival you want to hold the "a" button and "enter/return" button on the keyboard, as well as the "previous/back" button on the front of the phone, then press the power button to power on.
    [Edit]
    I have found holding the "previous/back" Button is not needed

A few other tweaks that might be of real interest is how to get free internet on the phone
    use ##BROWSER and copy the default VZW setting and it will give you a option to create a new name
    Go into the setting and change the setting according to either WAP portals found on Google or another Network

When Using QPST if you go to the Servicee Programming there is a M.IP tab that has info in it that allows you to get free internet using the phone as a modem when you change the setting

Click the M.IP Tab and then Click Edit Button (Assuming you have already clicked the "Read From Phone" Button)

From there their is a Tethered NAI field delete the "dun." from the field it should look like [email protected] rather than
    [email protected]

click "ok"
    and then Write to Phone
    That will open up the ability to connect to the internet on your computer using the phone as a "Dialup" Modem anywhere you have A signal from a cell tower
    On the Computer to finish this setup go to Control Panel >> Network Connections >> File >> New Connection
    Click "Next"
    Make Sure "Connect to Internet" Radio Box is checked
    Click "Next"
    Click "Setup My Connection Manually"
    Click "Next"
    Make Sure "Connect Using a dial-up modem" Radio Button is checked
    Click "Next"
    Enter whatever Name you want for the "ISP Name"
    Click "Next"
    In the Phone Number type in "#777" without Quotes
    Click "Next"
    Under User Name:
    [email protected] Ex. [email protected]
    Under Password and Password Confirm type in:
    vzw
    Click "Next" until the promt closes
    From there you can now connect to that connection and have free internet on your computer via you cell phone WOOOT!!!!!!

I hope this helps
    Stick it to "The Man"

Device(s)
    Rival A455
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    [Edit]
    I have been Given the Rush Ver 1.29.22 UPGRADE File >>> RUSH 1.29.22 Provided by drkcobra

All of these Are Verizon Wireless Files
    Last edited by wildcat2083; 02-28-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Device(s)
    Rival A455
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-A455/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.606 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Also a menu for the Rival not entered above is the NAM menu
    ##Nam will open up just the nam menu on this phone

Device(s)
    Moto Rival
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Will this work on koodo phones?

Device(s)
    Rival A455
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Basically everything in this guide works on other carriers, you can use MSU to flash with koodo or whatever, the menus inside the phone are the same regardless of what carrier you have and as far as the M.IP goes, so long as the carriers supports the ability to use the phone as a modem in the first place this should work, now in the Tethered NAI section on QPST will be different and the credentials for logging into their servers will also be different, i believe ive seen some info in the forum elsewhere, but so long as those conditions are met I dont see and issue

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    anyone here try this on a telus Rival?

I went to look at software version...it says "RUTLS_01.1B.00R"

so can i just download the monster file?
    |Student 50 - 500 Daytime+Unlimited n&w @ 5pm | 5GB Data | MyFaves 10 Nationwide | Unlimited Texting | $5-Caller ID | Voicemail 3 | $50+$5+HST=$62.15 |
    Telus is great!

Feedback Score
    has anybody flash to pageplus with this phone?

Device(s)
    Motorola A455 Rival
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    thanks for the shout out on the mp

UPDATE
    ****ing serious? you can get the net on the verizon mp? can anyone confirm? mms too? omfg, i just got my new rival and i havent wanted to re flash cuz i wuoldnt have net or pic msgs, if i can get it all! boooooo yah! plz if anyone can confirm,

Feedback Score
    so does this really work for a Motorola Rival A455 to be flashed to say boost mobile? My family is thinking about switching to boost mobile now with those cheap plans

Device(s)
    K1m
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Smile

A friend told me to try a workaround in MSU for updating the firmware when the unit is past the warranty period.....it worked great. You disable the internet connection of your computer, then run MSU. After it detects your phone, it will say that there is no active internet connection and show a "retry" button. You re-enable the internet and then hit "retry". It just goes and updates without checking the auto warranty date. After being denied by MSU, I tried this and it updated with no arguments. My buddy said he got this tip on here but I couldn't find it...wanted to give credit here though...thanks to whoever posted this tip originally!

Device(s)
    Rival A455
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Should work cept I dont know the cariers specific details

Device(s)
    Rival A455
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This is to use the phone as a modem for a computer, and or to flash it, it wont give unlimited internet, and now the companies are monitering usage closer I cant guarentee how much data u will be able to use without the specific carriers cutting off the data

Device(s)
    Rival A455
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you could find the boost mobile firmwire for the phone if any it.should

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by l2iceboy View Post
    anyone here try this on a telus Rival?

I went to look at software version...it says "RUTLS_01.1B.00R"

so can i just download the monster file?
    Hey, I have the same phone and carrier. I'm curious about if you went through with the upgrade, which upgrade you used (monster or rush), and if the phone still worked afterwards.

I'm also curious if you ever had issues with charging the battery... my charger developed a short right where the cable goes into the micro-USB connector, I've tried using a regular usb to micro-USB adapter for USB charging but get that "Unauthorized Charger" message (phone still charges, but the battery icon turns off instead of showing the charging animation, and it fails to show a "charge complete" message once fully charged).

Its a well known annoyance, has to do with Motorola having a third wire in their cable which the phone uses to identify/authorize faster charging via their wall plug. It annoys everyone that they can't just connect to a powered usb hub to charge. You have to either use their wall adapter or connect to a computer which has had the Motorola usb drivers installed... and it has to be done with their cables (a regular cheap spare cable causes the "Unauthorized" message). People asked for a fix/patch, but it seems Motorola hasn't given one... and it doesn't help that even using official Motorola chargers/cables is not a guarantee to avoiding the "Unauthorized Charger" message.