Thread: HTC Touch (XV6900) battery bulge

Phones
    Palm Centro
    Moto V3m
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

HTC Touch (XV6900) battery bulge

I've just bought an HTC Toucch (XV6900) on ebay, and the batery is bulging out on both sides. I assume this is not how the battery on these are supposed to look? Does this mean I have to replace it?

Phone
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It means your battery is bad, and in danger of leaking, and even (though slight) of exploding. Do NOT use it, go to a Sprint store and have them replace it for you.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4S 16GB
    LG Optimus S (Purple/Charcoal)
    LG Rumor Touch (Purple)
    Carrier
    Sprint (ED Family 1500)
    Feedback Score
    ^ That's what it sounds like to me. Rare, but it happens. Be careful.

FYI, the XV6900 is Version's version of the Touch. The Sprint model is MP6900.

Phone
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ah, yeah, didn't even catch that. Not sure what verizon's repair policy is, but I doubt they'd replace the battery for free.

As for battery bulge, it's not as rare as you'd think. I'd have about 10 customers per day come in needing a new battery. people have NO clue how to properly charge phones.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism
    As for battery bulge, it's not as rare as you'd think. I'd have about 10 customers per day come in needing a new battery. people have NO clue how to properly charge phones.
    Which is ... ?

Phone
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Which is... the proper way to charge a phone? I'm going to assume that's what you meant...

Don't leave it on the charger for a long amount of time (some people leave the phone on the charger all day, every day, and use it MAYBE 20 minutes per day), don't let it die down to zero often, don't talk while you're charging... There's plenty of ways to keep your battery healthy. The other thing is, batteries are only supposed to realistically last about 2 years, that's why Sprint replaces your batteries for free.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism
    I'm going to assume that's what you meant...
    Yes it was. Thanks for the explanation.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Battery bulging is generally caused by overheating while charging. I see it all the time on the Sierra 595U data cards when they're operated for long periods of time.

Sprint service centers will replace a defective battery, provided the moisture damage indicator is both present and unactivated, and provided that the battery is either bloated (like yours) or fails to hold 80% of its rated capacity, as long as the phone is within its 1-year manufacturer's warranty. Most service centers will have to order the battery, which will take a day or two to arrive.

EDIT: Looks like the OP has the Verizon version of the Touch. Not sure on VZW's policy either. This is, after all, a Sprint forum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4PEQ
    Battery bulging is generally caused by overheating while charging. I see it all the time on the Sierra 595U data cards when they're operated for long periods of time.
    Since the battery bulges at the worst time, and you NEED to have internet access... I finally stuck a razorblade under the plastic sticker a tiny bit and let the pressure out.

Its worked fine since.

I suspect that there is some kind of vent that gets clogged or the plastic is covering it.

Phone
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    nothing good can come of this...