Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Selling my iPhone - How do I erase it?

I'm selling my iPhone 3G 16GB today for $200 and moving to Verizon and the Droid. I'm going to miss my iPhone dearly but AT&T is bad in my area so I'm forced to switch.

When they deactivate my iPhone, what do I have to do before selling it? Do I simply do a "restore as a new phone" with the current OS? I dont want the person that's getting my old phone to have my emails/contacts/credit card #s...etc etc. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

TJ

Phones
    iPhone 3Gs
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, just restore in iTunes. When it asks you if you want to restore from backup or setup as new, pick "Setup as New"
    Are you going to teach these people to fish, or just keep feeding them???

Phones
    Apple iPhone 8gb (2.5G)
    Nokia E61
    Treo 600
    Carriers
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Settings>general> reset> erase all content and settings...

I think it does a few wipes through to ensure none of it could be restored..

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipFlops24/7
    I'm selling my iPhone 3G 16GB today for $200 and moving to Verizon and the Droid. I'm going to miss my iPhone dearly but AT&T is bad in my area so I'm forced to switch.

When they deactivate my iPhone, what do I have to do before selling it? Do I simply do a "restore as a new phone" with the current OS? I dont want the person that's getting my old phone to have my emails/contacts/credit card #s...etc etc. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

TJ
    The carrier does not deactivate the phone. They deactivate your SIM card which has your account information. In addition to the information above, you should remove the old SIM card before selling the phone. Your phone number is still on the deactivated SIM card. Bear that in mind if you choose to keep your same number with the new carrier.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri
    The carrier does not deactivate the phone. They deactivate your SIM card which has your account information. In addition to the information above, you should remove the old SIM card before selling the phone. Your phone number is still on the deactivated SIM card. Bear that in mind if you choose to keep your same number with the new carrier.
    Thank you. This is exactly the information I needed. I figured I was missing something. I didn't even realize there was a SIM card with my information on it, so kudos to you for helping a noob.

TJ

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    also, am I getting ripped off by selling it for $200? I put it on craigslist and I must have gotten 20 local people interested. Whats the going rate for a good condition iPhone 3G 16GB?

Phone
    Iphone 3Gs 32 gig
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    also, am I getting ripped off by selling it for $200? I put it on craigslist and I must have gotten 20 local people interested. Whats the going rate for a good condition iPhone 3G 16GB?

Sounds dirt cheap to me. I dont know what the prices are in the states but in Canada a 16gig Iphone costs $700 to outright buy it.

Phones
    iPhone 4 32GB
    iPhone 4 32GB
    iPhone 3GS 16GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It depends - if you still have the 3.1.2 firmware then you can probably get a bit higher value from the phone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    looks like I accidently updated to 3.1.3. So there's no way I can go back? Why would the phone be worth less with a newer firmware? Would $250 be a good asking price?

Phone
    Iphone 3Gs 32 gig
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    3.1.3 can not be jailbroken. 3.1.2 Can be...

Phones
    iPhone 3G
    Motorola Z3
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i just sold a 3G 8GB jailbroken and unlocked for $312 on eBay (3.12 firmware)

Phones
    Apple Iphone 4 16GB
    Apple iphone 4 16GB with VZW had 32GB with att
    Apple iphone 3GS 16gb 4.0
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    For the OP: Last august i sold my 2G 8GB iphone for $325 jailbroken and unlocked. I think that you are selling it too cheap, the original price for a 16gb 3G brand new was 300 before the 3GS was released, you should of posted something like 325 negotiable and the lowest you would go is like 300, somebody would still buy it. If you still have the opportunity to, raise the price so your not losing money imo
    Phone history
    Verizon Wireless: Apple iphone 4 16GB, Motorola Droid X, 2, LG VX8500 "chocolate" black, LG VX8500 "chocolate" white
    AT&T: Apple Iphone 2G 8GB(Sold $325), Apple Iphone 3G 8GB, Apple Iphone 3G(S) 16GB
    need help with jb/unlocking your iphone go here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1446466
    My 1,000th post was made at 3:24 pm on 12/19/2008
    Android Sucks, ios is better

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pryncearif
    For the OP: Last august i sold my 2G 8GB iphone for $325 jailbroken and unlocked. I think that you are selling it too cheap, the original price for a 16gb 3G brand new was 300 before the 3GS was released, you should of posted something like 325 negotiable and the lowest you would go is like 300, somebody would still buy it. If you still have the opportunity to, raise the price so your not losing money imo
    I ended up getting $250 for it. The fact that I had the newest firmware apparently dropped the value of the phone....I guess I could have gotten more if I had waited, but at least that paid for my new Motorola Droid ;-)