Thread: Disable Internet on Samsung Moment

Phones
    HTC Hero (Personal)
    ATT BB Curve POS (Work)
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Disable Internet on Samsung Moment

I'm looking for a way to disable the Internet connection on my Samsung moment. I don't require push e-mail, and would prefer my battery to last longer than a day. I've disabled all the sync services, but it's usually down to 25-45% at the end of the day with light texting.

On the Hero there is a widget that you can add that will shut off the mobile web services with just a touch. The moment doesn't seem to have this capability. Any suggestions?

I've seen a few apps on the market that promise to do this, but when installed there is no such luck.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    You say that you have disabled sync services, do you still think it is attempting to sync data despite those settings?

It is possible that the battery life you are seeing is due to the processor, screen size and other non data usage throughout the day.

Phones
    HTC Hero (Personal)
    ATT BB Curve POS (Work)
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I did an experiment the other day and barely touched the phone except for maybe four times at no more than a minute or two each. The battery was down to 75%. Certainly less than with the sync services on. However, that seems like more of a drain than I would have expected. I have set the screen brightness to as low as it can go.

I've noticed that there seems to be data passing through when I did have a look at it. The indicators on the status bar show this. However, if it can make it a full day without dying, I'll be happy. Before it was down to 25% before I even got out of the office.

Since I have that dreadful blackberry curve for work, I always get my e-mail on that device, and don't need my personal phone always checking. As much as I hate that phone, to their credit, checking e-mail 24 hours a day, making a few phone calls, and texts; the battery lasts for 2 to 3 days without charging.

Phone
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Curve ALWAYS had amazing battery life. if you think the Moment will EVER compare with the Curve's battery, you're sorely mistaken.

Can I ask what the huge deal is that you can't plug the phone in at night and take it off the charger when you wake up? I never understood people who want phones to last for 2-3 days on a charge.

Feedback Score
    Freedom from worry!

At the end of a long day the last thing I want to have to think about is "oh that bar everyone wants to go to has no service so my phone will be dead when I leave and I wont be able to call anyone else. Now I have to remember to put it on airplane mode and then take it off when leaving" or "damnit I shouldnt have listened to music on the way here now it is about to die before I get home" 1 day or sub one day battery life isnt a deal breaker for most people but it is the kind of annoyance that people remember far out of proportion to its actual effect on their life.

The power savings and battery life gained from RIM's particular implementation of push email are a huge selling point for them. It is one of the comments I hear most often from non 'phone people' "oh my BB gets such great battery life! Why cant my iPhone/Android phone/WMphone/et al get that too??".

Phones
    HTC Hero (Personal)
    ATT BB Curve POS (Work)
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Basically what Pro said ... Even with my old ancient 700wx brick I was able to go several days without a charge, of course the battery was twice the size too.

Of course if I switch to tethering instead of a data card, then it won't be much of an issue as it will be plugged in the majority of the day to my laptop.

So far the only other down side to the moment is the non-standard connector. I liked the Hero's USB one, as it meant I didn't have to carry an extra cable around. Oh well.

There are days I just feel like paying the ETF and only using my work phone.

Carrier
    Platinumtel
    Feedback Score
    There is an app called Quick Settings that lets you quickly set your screen brightness, GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, and mobile data, all from one screen. There are already a lot of widgets for those purposes but Quick Settings puts them all in one place.

Also, I noticed a couple days ago that the Weather Channel app that came preinstalled on my Moment (i.e. no way to uninstall it without rooting) automatically checks for severe weather conditions every 5 minutes and there is no way to change or disable that. It runs at startup too, so I have to use a task killer to stop it every time I reboot my phone. Very annoying and I'm sure it sucks up battery life too. I think there are many other preinstalled apps that run on startup and drain your battery like that so I just try not to reboot my phone often and make sure to kill them all when I do.

Phone
    Iphone 4s
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Saw this on another forum , try this for battery life..

As far as the battery is concerned, if you haven't done so already, download any task killer program (person used 'Advanced Task Killer Free'). Make sure to kill all programs after you use your phone. Person went from 7:30 am to 7:00 pm, and still have 75% left.

I haven't done it yet , but if it works please let us know..

Phones
    HTC Hero (Personal)
    ATT BB Curve POS (Work)
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    TaskKiller does help, but somehow these apps manage to restart themselves in the background. I'm usually down to about 40% or so at the end of the day, maybe 20-30 if I've been hitting it hard for texting.

Quick Settings rocks tho ... That app is very nicely done. Sadly, it does not disable 3G on the Moment. None of the apps that promise to do that will.

Again, this all might become less of an issue if I decide to do tethering instead of my data card as it will reduce the amount of time the thing is not plugged into a charger. Still trying to figure this out, but I have until 5/2. I've already gotten some e-mails and calls about resigning for the data card and getting the USB/Wifi router device.