Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BOOST or STRAIGHT-TALK... which is better?

Feedback Score

Question BOOST or STRAIGHT-TALK... which is better?

All things considered, which one of the two prepaid carriers do you feel is better. Considering things such as coverage, "bang for your buck" on minutes etc... Which one would you choose? And if you wouldn't mind, a few pros and cons. $$$ are most definitly important in this equation.

If demographics have some effect, the two areas of concern are the NJ Shore and the Lakeland FL areas respectively...

Feedback on this is very much appreciated. :-)

Thank you in advance

~ DAVID ~

Phones
    Droid Eris
    TP2
    iPad ♥
    Carriers
    VZW,
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Depends, are you talking Boost CDMA (Sprint) or Boost iDEN (Nextel)?

Boost CDMA over Straight Talk, just because of BYOD and tethering capability. Straight Talk has VZW coverage, unlimited 411, and $5 cheaper that Boost. Boost has Sprint coverage (no roaming), way better selection of phones (even the boost branded phones are better than ST phones), and tolerable CS.

But, ST over Boost iDEN. It's pretty simple.

Android fanboy til I die!!! G1 FTW!!! F$^k Apple!!

Feedback Score
    I thought Boost CDMA didn't officially have BYOD. You still have to buy a boost phone and trick them into doing an esn change to your own cdma phone.

Feedback Score
    Simple. Phones? Bmcdma. Coverage? Straight Talk. Take your pick.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveinNJ
    All things considered, which one of the two prepaid carriers do you feel is better. Considering things such as coverage, "bang for your buck" on minutes etc... Which one would you choose? And if you wouldn't mind, a few pros and cons. $$$ are most definitly important in this equation.

If demographics have some effect, the two areas of concern are the NJ Shore and the Lakeland FL areas respectively...

Feedback on this is very much appreciated. :-)

Thank you in advance

~ DAVID ~

Boost CDMA is the clear winner in your particular case, IMO. Price is lower with Boost CDMA (using some simple maneuvers) and coverage in the two areas mentioned should not be a problem, from what I can see (but check the Boost CDMA coverage map, to be sure.)

The one thing ST has over Boost is the free 411, so if you are a constant 411 dialer that might be an issue. There is a way around it for Boost customers by putting one of the free alternatives in your speed dial - 1800-FREE-411 and 1800-GOOG-411, but they are not quite as convenient as just dialing 411, and usually come with some 15 to 20 seconds ads you have to listen to before they give you the listing you are looking for. The other thing to look at is whether aside from the 2 "home" areas you have listed there is a chance you might travel into regions that Sprint native coverage is weaker in, such as several states in the upper Midwest and upper West (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming come to mind.) Study the coverage map and if you travel into some of these regions Verizon's better coverage could then be an issue after all.

From what you listed, though, Sprint native coverage, which is what Boost CDMA utilizes, has blanket coverage all over Florida. I find it extremely strong coverage here, being from Tampa, but often travelling inside the state. Plant City (just there today for the Strawberry Festival,) Lakeland, Winterhaven, Orlando, Bartow, Ft. Myers, Naples, the entire FL east coast from Jacksonville down to the keys, and anywhere inbetween, zero problem with coverage.

Not familiar with coverage in NJ Shore, but it looks like it is strong there as well. However, type the exact locations you are looking for in to be sure:

http://www.boostmobile.com/coverage/#?map=cdma

You can bring in about 40 different phones to the service, 3 official Boost phones (Boost Blackberry 8330, Boost Incognito and Boost Mirro) and the rest Sprint phones. Anything from 3 different Blackberry models to any Sprint-branded Palm phone, to a bunch of HTC Smartphones, Samsung, Sanyo, Motorola, etc.

Read the "Boost CDMA Beginners - FAQ" for more details:

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1592868

If you go with one of the many smartphones listed you could get one with 3G EVDO Rev. A to take advantage of very fast unlimited internet (around 1.2 to 1.8 MB down, 500kb up.) If you are interested in any type of multimedia web then Straight Talk is probably not for you, but Boost CDMA with a Sprint phone is. STs phones are made for very basic web browsing, so even though you have basically unlimited data you are limited by the phone's capabilities. The one phone that is capable of higher speeds, the Samsung Finesse (pricey at almost $400,) has been locked hard to disallow any kind of streaming (music or video.)

With Straight Talk the unlimited service costs $45 plus taxes and fees. I suppose it depends on the state where that ends up, but probably close to $50.

With Boost CDMA the unlimited plan is nominally $50 (includes all taxes and fees) but can be reduced to around $40 a month by signing up for auto-reboost (they give a one-time $20 credit for that, plus credit $2 each month thereafter) and buying $50 refill cards on ebay for $43:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOOST-MOBILE-Re-...item2305d08f4e

More savings can be achieved if you have a Bing Cashback account, since clicking through to Ebay from that site nets 8% cashback (on a purchase of a $43 card that would be an additional $3.50 in your pocket.)

http://www.bing.com/shopping/pages/s...ack&FORM=R5FD1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I thought Boost CDMA didn't officially have BYOD. You still have to buy a boost phone and trick them into doing an esn change to your own cdma phone.

It is not official, but it is very easily achieved, nonetheless.

Boost CS reps more routinely than before just go ahead and activate a Sprint phone as a matter of course (rarely is it necessary to call back to try another CS anymore.) In addition there is also a simpler method now to get a Sprint CDMA phone moved into the account, right online without the need for a rep. That also made it possible now to have multiple phones on one account and switch between the phones within seconds, the ultimate BYOD freedom. I currently have four phones on my account, an HTC Diamond, a Palm Treo 700wx, a Samsung Instinct and a Motorola C290. Depending on mood or need I can move the ESN of one phone into the place of the current one within mere seconds, and then back again when it is convenient to carry another phone. Not that I find a lot of need for doing that, but I have on occasion gone back to the C290 clamshell to protect my other phones from dust/dirt when doing yard work or working on some fixer-upper house projects. It is just great to have that type of phone freedom, knowing that I can make an instant phone swap just like someone with a GSM phone can. It could also come in handy if something happens to your phone (say, the phone falls in a lake) and you need to quickly switch over to another phone.

There is also no need to purchase a Boost phone to start service with anymore. All one would need is the ESN of one to get service started with, then a few minutes later swap a Sprint phone in its place, either using the online method or with a CS. There is an active ESN exchange thread to help people get Boost CDMA service started without the expense and hassle of having to actually purchase a Boost phone:

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1611867

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    ST has better coverage, but poor customer service. Plus they are an MVNO, meaning VZW can change the deal they give ST at ANY time. They have already started doing this to Page Plus. Boost has worse coverage, but very good customer service, plus they are owned directly by Sprint, which is huge.

Feedback Score
    Texting Google at 46645 is another way to get 411 service for business numbers. Text them the business name, city, and state.

Feedback Score
    I'm in a strong Sprint area and have used Bmcdma before. Bmcdma all the way. If I lived in the country, ST.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304
    they [Straight Talk] are an MVNO, meaning VZW can change the deal they give ST at ANY time. They have already started doing this to Page Plus.
    I don't know why you'd predict or intimate some sort of impending strife between Straight Talk and Verizon, considering VZW helped with the Walmart rollout--their branding even appeared on ST packaging briefly.

If there's any company who's been good to its network partners, it's Tracfone and its associated brands. I don't think there's much to worry about that relationship, as they most certainly aren't trafficking VZW prepaid devices.
    Kyocera 2135 on Verizon Prepaid
    Nokia 3585i on Simple Freedom/Alltel U Prepaid/Page Plus
    LG AX-5000 on Alltel U Prepaid/Verizon Prepaid/Page Plus
    LG 420G on Tracfone
    LG 900G on Net10
    DROID by Motorola on Page Plus Cellular
    HTC DROID Incredible 2 on Verizon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304
    ST has better coverage, but poor customer service. Plus they are an MVNO, meaning VZW can change the deal they give ST at ANY time. They have already started doing this to Page Plus. Boost has worse coverage, but very good customer service, plus they are owned directly by Sprint, which is huge.
    Joe12304
    Actual they can't change ST mvno agreement change it for at least a year. Not anytime. Another poster said they made an agreement for a year, the trail agreement is over with. From what that poster said. They can no longer use these words "Powered by the verizon network" on their phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nwm4ever
    I don't know why you'd predict or intimate some sort of impending strife between Straight Talk and Verizon, considering VZW helped with the Walmart rollout--their branding even appeared on ST packaging briefly.

If there's any company who's been good to its network partners, it's Tracfone and its associated brands. I don't think there's much to worry about that relationship, as they most certainly aren't trafficking VZW prepaid devices.

The poster never predicted anything. He just stated a fact. MVNOs are a go-between, a reseller. Therefore they are subject to changes that might be out of their control. They have to abide by Verizon's rules, even if those are changed. Thus, the poster stated that Verizon CAN change the deal, which is not a prediction or intimation, just statement of fact.

Phone
    Palm Pixi Plus (Page Plus)
    Carriers
    Page Plus,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    Actual they can't change ST mvno agreement change it for at least a year. Not anytime.
    They can change it anytime they want, as long as both parties agree.
    You either have coverage or you have Sprint native, you can't have both.

PAYG rules; contracts are for fools.

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Straight Talk's parent company is huge. I'm sure they have negotiated a long-term, airtight contract with VZ. But it would seem that VZ is still charging them a lot for data, because ST is trying all they can to cripple the phones in a way that makes it hard to actually use a lot of data.

Walmart is not pushing ST like they used to. My local store only has the basic $40 flip phone (and lots of 'em!), no QWERTY phones. Also the special Straight Talk rack with the big sign on top is gone.

Phone
    BlackBerry 10, Android,
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, AIO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HF305
    Walmart is not pushing ST like they used to. My local store only has the basic $40 flip phone (and lots of 'em!), no QWERTY phones. Also the special Straight Talk rack with the big sign on top is gone.

ST has been a flop here. Boost iDEN and CDMA phones fly off the shelf.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast