Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need SIMPLE phone and plan for elderly relative

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score

Need SIMPLE phone and plan for elderly relative

I know there is a service called "Jitterbug" aimed at seniors. They sell a very simple CDMA phone made by Samsung and is a prepaid service.
    Not sure this is the right sub-section to ask this - but does T-M offer any plan (voice only, obviously) geared to seniors that isn't publicized? Also, is there a SIMPLE GSM phone, either from TM or elsewhere, that is easy to use. Large buttons w. no features.

Thanx.

...mike
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    6 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. 2G fast data on each line . $120/mo. + taxes. We have had no landline in more than 10 years.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Nokia 6263 has large buttons and is pretty simple to use. Its durable too, and works on AWS UMTS 3G

Device(s)
    Samsung Vibrant?
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Cell Phone For Seniors

I'd be surprised if T-Mo offers anything geared toward seniors. Also, believe it or not, there is a website dedicated to this topic. http://cellphonesforseniorcitizens.com/

Could be helpful.

Good luck!
    www.611Connect.com: Your Connection to Everything Wireless

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, Mfro. Antenna - that Nokia phone seems too sophisticated for me, much less an oldster<G>. (Which i guess i am.)

...mike

Telford/Souderton,PA to St.Petersburg/Clearwater,FL
    Device(s)
    Electric Blue Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Phonewise you could go on Ebay and look for an older T-Mobile/VoiceStream Nokia 5190 or 3390 device.Simple,rock-solid,and pretty cheap last I saw. I have a 5190 as an emergency phone.
    A Great Commercial for a Beautiful Automobile : The Oldsmobile Aurora

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by experiment626
    Phonewise you could go on Ebay and look for an older T-Mobile/VoiceStream Nokia 5190 or 3390 device.Simple,rock-solid,and pretty cheap last I saw. I have a 5190 as an emergency phone.
    It depends on how mobile your senior is. The 5190 and 3390 are single-band GSM-1900 phones which will not roam on GSM-850. This reduces the available coverage quite a bit.

I agree that this is an area where the carriers and manufacturers have failed to service a large portion of the public. I understand that Jitterbug service is quite expensive. An economical prepaid service using a phone with a simple UI, large buttons and a clear, bright display would be greatly appreciated. T-Mobile prepaid service would be almost ideal. The problem is the phone.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Carrier(s)
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler
    I know there is a service called "Jitterbug" aimed at seniors. They sell a very simple CDMA phone made by Samsung and is a prepaid service.
    Not sure this is the right sub-section to ask this - but does T-M offer any plan (voice only, obviously) geared to seniors that isn't publicized? Also, is there a SIMPLE GSM phone, either from TM or elsewhere, that is easy to use. Large buttons w. no features.
    No features on a current phone - fuggetaboutit.

What you would need is an old phone, like my Nokia 8290. But as pointed out by others old phones do not generally have GSM 850. The Nokia 6340i (note the "i") may be the lamest phone to have GSM 850.

You need to tell us where your relative is going to be using the phone, to see if 850 is needed.

Or go with CDMA because Verizon and Sprint have had the same bands forever, although you have to consider e911 ability with Verizon and Sprint.

I've got my Dad on a new but relatively simple Nokia (2160?). Just this past Saturday I got my Mom on a Samsung A137. These are both AT&T prepaid phones. They have way too many features, and confuse the heck out of my parents, but they do OK with them.
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    http://shop.clarityproducts.com/prod...g/item3289.asp If the cost doesn't matter much of course.. $269 is a bit steep for a phone that does nothing besides make calls.
    Bye!

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iFone3G
    http://shop.clarityproducts.com/prod...g/item3289.asp If the cost doesn't matter much of course.. $269 is a bit steep for a phone that does nothing besides make calls.

"$185.00 with 1 Year Service Agreement with T-Mobile"
    LOL, too funny

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I did a quick Google search for simple GSM phones. Here's a link to what I found. (Note that it is in China.) It looks ideal. Just think, if grannie just needs a cell phone for emergencies you get one of these and a T-Mobile prepaid SIM. With a $100 top-up (from cheapphonecards.com) you get Gold Reward status and can keep the phone active for $10/year. As long as she doesn't get to using it all the time it's ideal. Much cheaper than Jitterbug, but without the On*Star service.

Device(s)
    sch-i760
    Carrier(s)
    page plus-
    Feedback Score
    my grandmom who is 78 use a cheap nokia tracfone .I can't rember the model but its silver with blk buttons and we got her the double minues for life card . she has no trouble and its very basic .

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Page Plus has some very basic CDMA offerings and they mostly use VZW's network

http://www.pagepluscellular.com/

Device(s)
    Nexus One / SE Equinox TM717
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I agree with the suggestion of prepaid.

You might check out a firefly phone (search on ebay) if you're talking really, really simple, although I suspect you're not. (It has only a few buttons that can be programed to call a few numbers.)

Finally, every cell carrier has to offer at least some phones that are hearing aid compatible. If your relative is hard of hearing, you might want to limit your search to phones that meet that requirement.

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, all, for suggestions. Decided to get a Doro #326i. I'll have to mail order it for about $150. I'll probably put her on the $100 TM prepaid plan which winds up costing 10 cents a minute. If she starts using 500 minutes/mo., which I doubt, will simply add it to the 3 phones we now have.
    That Firefly phone def. is aimed at kids. Lots of games, etc.
    The phone recommended by DRN looked ok - and the price was right at $100 - but would have to be ordered from China. Besides the risk of ordering from there, the price w. shipping might not be a whole lot less than the Doro.

...mike

Device(s)
    Samsung N920T Galaxy Note5 | MS Lumia 640 LTE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid | Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    This is probably too late for the OP, but I'm chiming in with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Motof...8523413&sr=1-1

It's cheap, durable, and ultra-simple... without being old and used! It's unlocked but for US GSM 850/1900 only.

For example, I'd combine this with a low-usage prepaid GSM service like Pure TalkUSA or T-Mo-To-Go for my own parents... if I hadn't already set them up on Page Plus Cellular.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast