Phones
    ZTE Warp (Rooted)
    ZTE Warp (Rooted)
    Sanyo Incognito
    Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score

HOW-TO: Google Voice on Boost Mobile

Over the past couple months, this forum has taught me a lot. In return, I thought I would share some of the knowledge I acquired, in the form of this post.

The specific reason I am writing this is I have not found another thread on the same topic in this forum. There are a few webpages that can be found through Google that give conflicting or errant information on this topic, but I would like to offer instructions on how to accomplish using Google Voice with your Boost Mobile device.

Before I get into this, I must say that hopefully you do not yet have a Google Voice account, or you do and it is of the Google phone # variety.

1. At time of Google Voice account selection, you MUST NOT CHOOSE "Use My Pre-Existing Number." I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, because once you've made that selection, you're locked in (as of present there is no way to switch between account-types). Also, with this option, you get the best of both worlds, as you can still use your ORIGINAL number to send callers to Google Voice services (by turning on your phone's 'Call Forwarding' feature and forwarding calls to your GV#)*

2. At this point you will run through the Google Voice setup; choosing a number, creating a PIN, entering your current phone number, and call verification.

3. Congratulations, you now have GV on your Boost number -- feel free to go into the Google Voice site to change your settings or poke around and explore. Do not use the "Activate Google voicemail on this phone" link in the Settings > Phone tab; instead, call your new GV# directly to activate/setup your VM.

While not a "tutorial" per se, this article at LifeHacker features some info, ideas, and tips for beginning Google Voice users, and is worth a look.

*As of yet, I have not found any features that do not work, it seemed to take a few hours before GV and the phone were aligned (not sure if your forwarding settings have to provision on a network or something). Also, if you have Call Forwarding enabled on your phone and are forwarding to your Google Voice # (i.e you wanted to continue using your current # as primary), the calls will not ring through to you at all, but will ring on the caller's end until they get your Google voicemail. (Think about it, it's a loop.)
    If I'm asking a question, it's because I've searched this forum and Google (which also searches this forum) and not found anything relevant/the correct answer... Don't tell me to "search!"

do YOU like dubstep?? if so, check my productions at >> soundcloud.com/kwizzo

Feedback Score
    Are you on IDEN or CDMA? I"m guessing CDMA based on your phone list. I've been using GV with an IDEN 8350i on Boost for about 6 months now. But planning on switching over to CDMA soon. IDEN would send calls to Boost voicemail before GV would and there's no way of extending the ring time. You have to set up conditional call forwarding on your handset to use GV voicemail. Does CDMA ring long enough to use GV voicemail? What happens when your phone is off or out of service? Another feature unique to Boost is you aren't charged for Instant Messaging on Nextel or Sprint phones. I use GVMax to forward my texts to Google Talk so I get unlimited texts free. With pay-go Boost, I'm only paying about 15-20 bucks a month for service. Unlimted texts, web, and just paying per min on phone calls. I use GV+VOIP for free calls at my house so I just use minutes when I'm at work or out.

Phones
    ZTE Warp (Rooted)
    ZTE Warp (Rooted)
    Sanyo Incognito
    Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHDScrambler
    Are you on IDEN or CDMA? I"m guessing CDMA based on your phone list. I've been using GV with an IDEN 8350i on Boost for about 6 months now. But planning on switching over to CDMA soon. IDEN would send calls to Boost voicemail before GV would and there's no way of extending the ring time. You have to set up conditional call forwarding on your handset to use GV voicemail. Does CDMA ring long enough to use GV voicemail? What happens when your phone is off or out of service? Another feature unique to Boost is you aren't charged for Instant Messaging on Nextel or Sprint phones. I use GVMax to forward my texts to Google Talk so I get unlimited texts free. With pay-go Boost, I'm only paying about 15-20 bucks a month for service. Unlimted texts, web, and just paying per min on phone calls. I use GV+VOIP for free calls at my house so I just use minutes when I'm at work or out.
    You're correct that I am on BCDMA (however I wasn't sure if the process was specific to that or if iDen users would find it of use so I posted it here). On ringing long enough, haven't had any problem with that. It will keep ringing after the callee hits "Ignore", after which it will go to GV voicemail. As for working if the phone is out-of-service, I'm not sure as I wasn't able to activate my GV until the phone was in order (they give you that confirmation call to confirm). Glad to hear you're getting the most out of your phone service with Google Voice though!

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Vibrant
    Carrier
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank You - I just helped a friend of mine get google voice, and found out that "Boost Mobile", was not a compatible like AT&T, Tmobile, Verizon etc. I didn't even think about that issue before hand. I will follow your suggestions and see how it works. I thank you for taking the time to give such detailed instructions.

Have A GREAT Day!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHDScrambler View Post
    Another feature unique to Boost is you aren't charged for Instant Messaging on Nextel or Sprint phones. I use GVMax to forward my texts to Google Talk so I get unlimited texts free.
    I have boost service with a Nextel phone, how is it you get your Instant messages without charge?

Feedback Score
    If you're on Pay as you go data is free on Boost.

Carrier
    Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    If you have CDMA data isn't free. I've tried it.

Feedback Score
    Yeah it is. I switched to CDMA about 6 months ago. Can't beat free 3G. No official Android phones yet, but I've got a HTC Touch flashed to Android. The official GV app works great for texting.

Feedback Score
    ok so i am seeing that it should work with boost mobile phones. however i can not get it to work on my phone. i have a kyocera hydro. do i need to pay the monthly service fee? I was wanting to use voice in place of the expensive plan through them. Please HELP!

Feedback Score
    The OP set up instructions are how I always set up GV for my self or for friends.
    The only service I have ever seen GV not work properly on was VirginMobile and only on one phone, just once.
    When I was on VM it worked just fine, but a friend of mine tried using it with his VM and for some reason his phone would dial out to random numbers.
    He would get lots of angry return calls because the GV system was doing it between 1 and 4 am all the time and sometimes in the evening even while I was there having a brew he would get a return call from someone who claimed he just called, and I know he hadn't because we had been talking and his phone was in his pocket or on the desk.
    Never had a problem with GV on my Boost phone or any of my ST phones, those phones purchased directly from them or with a BYOD sim.

ST to IPhone http://goo.gl/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://goo.gl/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://goo.gl/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987