Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: UMA WORKING!! Unlocked Bell 9700 -> Rogers Talkspot! OMG

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007
    Ya, a lot of this is hinging on him. Right now his 9700 is the golden goose...
    I honestly can't believe that there isn't someone else reading this with an unlocked Telus or Bell 9700 on the Rogers network, that wants to get their UMA to work. Surely not all of us, besides loth's 'magic' 9700, have Rogers branded phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Namueab
    I honestly can't believe that there isn't someone else reading this with an unlocked Telus or Bell 9700 on the Rogers network, that wants to get their UMA to work. Surely not all of us, besides loth's 'magic' 9700, have Rogers branded phones.

I have an unlocked bell 9700 in my hands. Will try when I get home.

Feedback Score
    Definitely works with unlocked Bell 9700. All I did was enter the uma profile and there it was. Just have to figure out how to get rid of that Bell screen now

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Well, thanks for doing that. Now we know that it has to somehow be device specific and that loth's phone isn't magical!!
    Did you use the settings exactly as loth specified?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Namueab
    Well, thanks for doing that. Now we know that it has to somehow be device specific and that loth's phone isn't magical!!
    Did you use the settings exactly as loth specified?
    Same settings in new uma profile, nothing else needed to be done.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Sweet stuff. Meh, if this works on a Telus 9700 I may just unlock both a Telus 9700 and my Rogers 9700 and swap the two at work :P I'm 99.9% sure an unlocked Telus 9700 would work.

Does anyone here have access to an unlocked Telus 9700 to check that it works?

On the Rogers branded 9700 side of things, what do you guys think we can do? I think we're screwed :P It has to do with the Rogers vendor ID 107 blocking it out... how the heck can we get around that?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Well trafsta, this may be why we haven't heard from loth lately:
    http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1627508

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trafsta
    Sweet stuff. Meh, if this works on a Telus 9700 I may just unlock both a Telus 9700 and my Rogers 9700 and swap the two at work :P I'm 99.9% sure an unlocked Telus 9700 would work.

Does anyone here have access to an unlocked Telus 9700 to check that it works?

On the Rogers branded 9700 side of things, what do you guys think we can do? I think we're screwed :P It has to do with the Rogers vendor ID 107 blocking it out... how the heck can we get around that?
    We have to figure out what's different with the phones. They're on the same network, same certificates, Rogers SIMS, same OS version.

It has to be something that gets left over from the bell firmware once the phone is unlocked. Guessing that something is staying in the key store or something along those lines.

Interesting...I was digging through BlackBerry.alx and found quite a few .cod files related to UMA. I wonder if it would be as simple as changing the vendor ID inside the alx to 107 to get them to install on a rogers branded bold? I know WorldIRC tried something similar a while ago, but I think he was using cod files meant for the 8900...
    Last edited by mikeo007; 03-13-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    talked to a cell tech who does debranding and repairs. he told me the UMA option is disabled in VSM for rogers branded 9700 which is impossible to turn on at this moment.

Feedback Score
    lol... I just noticed that when I started to read this thread (pg 1) I had hit the arrow link-key thinking it was the "final page" link... so when I thought I was on Pg 13, I was actually on Pg 2 of the replies to this thread :P.

I retract my statements above haha... glad someone replied in here otherwise I woulda never known :P. As for the instant flamers... seriously guys?? Lol... I just bought the rogers branded 9700 this morning so... no, I haven't made a single attempt at it yet myself and no, I am not "spewing manure" as you eloquently phrased trying to be witty using wording from my post... I just thought at the time that what I was reading was leading no-where and voiced my opinion. Simple mistake being I wasn't on Pg13 when I skipped all the forum junkies posts and went to the last page (or so I had thought! haha)

Seriously if you're that fast to jump on a single post, some of you guys need to leave your basement and try that place with the big blue thing above you (outside :P). Lighten up!! lol.

Anyways, cool beans after reading, looking forward to learning more about this phone!

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.545 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Quote Originally Posted by Inclemental
    talked to a cell tech who does debranding and repairs. he told me the UMA option is disabled in VSM for rogers branded 9700 which is impossible to turn on at this moment.
    This is the saddest thing I've heard this year Super crappy... Now I might need to swap with a Telus 9700 and unlock them both I guess... Anyone able to test this with an unlocked Telus 9700 just to be sure?

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deviance159
    lol... I just noticed that when I started to read this thread (pg 1) I had hit the arrow link-key thinking it was the "final page" link... so when I thought I was on Pg 13, I was actually on Pg 2 of the replies to this thread :P.

I retract my statements above haha... glad someone replied in here otherwise I woulda never known :P. As for the instant flamers... seriously guys?? Lol... I just bought the rogers branded 9700 this morning so... no, I haven't made a single attempt at it yet myself and no, I am not "spewing manure" as you eloquently phrased trying to be witty using wording from my post... I just thought at the time that what I was reading was leading no-where and voiced my opinion. Simple mistake being I wasn't on Pg13 when I skipped all the forum junkies posts and went to the last page (or so I had thought! haha)

Seriously if you're that fast to jump on a single post, some of you guys need to leave your basement and try that place with the big blue thing above you (outside :P). Lighten up!! lol.

Anyways, cool beans after reading, looking forward to learning more about this phone!
    Sad that you feel the need to retort even after you realized that you were wrong. Read your post again. Now try and picture it from the point of view of people who have been working hard to bring UMA to the masses on Rogers. Now realize that it was your first post, making it look like a total troll. Context is everything my friend, and you fail to realize that.

Made a mistake? Fine, it was your own fault, no argument there. What's really funny here is the fact that the page 2 you claim to have read contained several respected forum members confirming Loth's findings.

It seems like you just signed up for an account to randomly call BS against someone you don't know, regarding something you know nothing about. You perfectly fit the definition of a forum troll, and I believe we will do just fine without your trolling from now on.

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.545 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

This is the saddest thing I've heard this year Super crappy... Now I might need to swap with a Telus 9700 and unlock them both I guess... Anyone able to test this with an unlocked Telus 9700 just to be sure?
    It's not over for me yet, I'm still working on getting the missing COD files over to my 9700. No luck so far with digging through the alx files, but I believe the fact that we can enable UMA by engineering screens means that we have found a way around the VSM lockout.

I think the key is going to be forcing the missing cods onto the device, but I'm not sure if it's better to trick the installer into thinking I'm using a t-mobile device, or actually changing the install files to work with a rogers branded device.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I'm never able to make a UMA connection when the phone is unable to connect to the wireless network, so I'm allowing it to connect to AT&T, but I have data disabled while roaming. (I upgraded the firmware and a couple of emails slipped through when I forgot to disable data when roaming -- oops!)

Voice connects fine with "edge", BB services connect to WiFi and work properly, but every time I try to enable UMA, it goes to "Searching for network" and pretty much just hangs at that point.

Note that I'm also connecting through a Canadian VPN, so my connection should be going out with a Canadian IP address.

Any other suggestions for how to get this working? Is it possible something in the phone is configured to only use Rogers?

What I'd recommend doing, since the cell radio has to be turned on, is go to "Mobile Network Options", set "Network Selection Mode" to manual, set "Select Automatic Mode When Manually Selected Network is Not Available" to "No", then select your Rogers 3G or 2G network of your choice.

I think this will likely stop your phone from even attempting to hop onto a USA wireless network. But because your radio is still active UMA will work.

Either that, or just use these settings which will stop your phone from using anything other than UMA:

3GPP_GERAN=Disabled
    3GPP_UTRAN=Disabled
    3GPP_GAN=Enabled
    GAN Preference=GAN

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson K850i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    subscription post

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast