Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: UMA WORKING!! Unlocked Bell 9700 -> Rogers Talkspot! OMG

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    ok, so i have been looking into trying to get my hands on the MFI to load a VSM onto my BB... i have a contact i could get it from, but he has told me that with the new security RIM as put on the BB to prevent us from using the older MFI loader, that there is an extremely high risk of bricking the device...

i'm still trying to get it out of him, and when i do i will put my device in harms way to try and load a VSM that will allow for "connection preference"

I have also been in contact with my Rogers friends, and i have not been able to confirm whether or not UMA will come to the 9700 either... someone had posted that it may be coming and wasnt yet ready because of the issues with Rogers network and 3G to UMA, and vice versa issues... again i have not been able to confirm or deny this... but i am working on it...

Not sure how the other guys are doing with the settings in the engineering screen and getting connection preference... but there is my update...
    Check out my Theme blog
    Click Here

Device(s)
    Acer Liquid E
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    UMA will come to Rogers when they are good and ready to release it.
    However it will never be soon enough for us gearheads!

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C_86
    ok, so i have been looking into trying to get my hands on the MFI to load a VSM onto my BB... i have a contact i could get it from, but he has told me that with the new security RIM as put on the BB to prevent us from using the older MFI loader, that there is an extremely high risk of bricking the device...

i'm still trying to get it out of him, and when i do i will put my device in harms way to try and load a VSM that will allow for "connection preference"

I have also been in contact with my Rogers friends, and i have not been able to confirm whether or not UMA will come to the 9700 either... someone had posted that it may be coming and wasnt yet ready because of the issues with Rogers network and 3G to UMA, and vice versa issues... again i have not been able to confirm or deny this... but i am working on it...

Not sure how the other guys are doing with the settings in the engineering screen and getting connection preference... but there is my update...
    I've had no luck using the T-Mobile cods yet...every time I try to access the menu, it either hasn't changed, or freezes the device. I'm still working on it though.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    yea i dont think its a COD... i think it has to do with the VSM coding.... sucks...

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Namueab
    Well trafsta, this may be why we haven't heard from loth lately:
    http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1627508
    Ahhh you think I bricked my Test 9700 Thats a big Negative folks; all beta testers should always have a spare in case something breaks. I work some 12hr days, have a 2yr old I take care of full time and tbh Hofo is not at the top of my list. Althought, being socially inept it does rank pretty high on the charts!

I haven't been able to get the Telus 9700 unlock codes as my "favour" friend doesn't seem to be replying to my emails. I think he may no longer be in to unlocking.

Here is some info for everyone to think about:

1) My idea of a Tunnel Proxy is moot. UMA requires some sort of active Cellular connection for the provider to determine what your LCA should be and route calls according to that. So; if I hook on to WiFi in Toronto, my Tower would correspond to that and badabing Toronto is now my LCA on UMA. Sooooo that being said; I go to Mexico, Lock on WiFi, Show a Mexican Tower and well i'm caught by Rogers messing with the system or it just doesn't work. So roaming UMA is probably a no go since a geographical tower lock is required to allow your calls to go through. Which is why you can't turn off your mobile network and force UMA to work. Should someone know how to build a server that would handle the UMA technology and backhaul the interconnection over VOIP; then UMA would be viable for travel.

2) I have a thought. So how hard would it be to build a BB App to automatically force the 9700 from 3G to 2G upon a successful wifi connection. This would allow the UMA to kick in without any intervention. And upon a loss of UMA the app would send the phone back in to a 3G & 2G mode. This obviously wouldn't work on the Rogers branded phone as the VSM appears to be locked down pretty tight. But assuming Bell, Telus, ATT etc phones aren't as locked down; this may be something to investigate.

Loth

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C_86

exact reason why i gave up after 2 days

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8300, 9000, 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Same here, I've basically given up with the UMA thing for now. Too much work for not much gain.

Rogers seem to have fixed up the signal around my home so no more dropped call. Moved up from Bold 9000 to 9700 so that solves my 3G battery issue.
    I want a new phone!!!

I wish Rogers would have the same speed I have at school.

Feedback Score

Cool UMA tmobile

UMA for TMO

Feedback Score
    TMO UMA? in a 9700\

Feedback Score
    don't have a good cell signal either Eastern time TMO
    [/QUOTE]

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisha
    UMA will come to Rogers when they are good and ready to release it.
    However it will never be soon enough for us gearheads!
    I dunno about that...before I got my Bold 9000, I had an 8820 that supported UMA and it worked very well. This was about one year ago. Then I got my Bold and found it didn't have UMA

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Just an update that I meant to post over a week ago... if you have a Rogers branded 9700 and want to switch automatically between EDGE and UMA, set your radio to "2G" only and use these settings in the e-screen:

3GPP_GERAN=Enabled <--- Not disabled like I had previously said, GERAN = 2G
    3GPP_UTRAN=Disabled <--- this is 3G
    3GPP_GAN=Enabled
    GAN Preference=GAN

It seems to have the same effect as the "Connection Preferences" "Wifi prefered" option that we do not have available to us on our branded Rogers 9700s...

Of course, after a system reboot, or after enabling/disabling your cell radio you will have to reset these settings in the engineering menu...

I had tried this many weeks ago (I believe I posted it at some point) but it did not work properly at that time (no idea why) so I edited my comment stating that it didn't work, but for the past week or two it has worked just fine.

Oh, and obviously, if you want it to prefer your cell radio over the wifi UMA, you can set "GAN Preference=Cellular".... it depends what you want to do...

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Sorry to burst everyone's bubble:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1630376

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CantCookToast
    No bubble bursting here, my work will pay for the UMA subscription even if Rogers does disable UMA for non-Talkspot subscribers.

I still don't see them doing this as it would anger a whole lot of people that use UMA on like a dozen different phones (not just BlackBerry's) just to get a signal, but hey, if they do, no biggy to me

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trafsta
    No bubble bursting here, my work will pay for the UMA subscription even if Rogers does disable UMA for non-Talkspot subscribers.

I still don't see them doing this as it would anger a whole lot of people that use UMA on like a dozen different phones (not just BlackBerry's) just to get a signal, but hey, if they do, no biggy to me
    Whoa whoa whoa. Rogers...doing something that will make people angry?

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast