Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: UMA WORKING!! Unlocked Bell 9700 -> Rogers Talkspot! OMG

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcity
    no..

my options are
    Manual Mode
    Disable BBNS
    Disable RAT_GERAN
    Disable RAT_UTRAN
    Disable RAT_GAN
    Clicking disable rat_gan will then change it to enable

I'm wondering if there isn't a difference in service books between our devices

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8300, 9000, 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothario80
    Try this for me...

in escreen
    WiFi 802.11 Engineering Screens
    One Radio
    BLACKBERRY Button
    Enable
    SAVE

See if that does anything.

Loth
    Sorry, this doesn't do anything. Also I have enabled RAT_GAN under the PLMN Selection. Does nothing to enable UMA.

Plus I am currently only running 2G signal hopefully to increase my chances to get UMA (aka better signal in my house)

I have a feeling everything you're telling us is 100% legit. However, without the connection preference setting, it won't hop over to UMA unless cell signal is 0% and nth more.
    I want a new phone!!!

I wish Rogers would have the same speed I have at school.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    for rogers branded 9700, most of the things we changed in escreen will not be saved after u quit the escreen or after reboot.
    even u enable RAT_GAN, it will disable again when u quite escreen.
    after a few tries, only way to trigger UMA for rogers branded 9700 is to enable oneradio at the wifi engineering screens

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwammi
    I have a feeling everything you're telling us is 100% legit. However, without the connection preference setting, it won't hop over to UMA unless cell signal is 0% and nth more.
    i too have a feeling that it maybe the branding of the rogers 9700 that cripples us to have the connection pref option

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8300, 9000, 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcity
    i too have a feeling that it maybe the branding of the rogers 9700 that cripples us to have the connection pref option
    I got UMA to work by forcing all 2G and 3G signal off. But then again if I lose WiFi signal my call drops.

This is the only way to do it for me so far. Not the best but at least I see the lovely UMA logo on my (Rogers branded) phone

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I have a Rogers branded 9700. Way to force it to UMA is doing the following
    Connect to your wifi network.
    Go to Manage connections, select only 2G.
    Go to WiFi 802.11 Engineering Screens
    One Radio
    BLACKBERRY Button
    Enable
    BLACKBERRY button
    Disable

Then you will connect via UMA

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Next on the To Do List..... Debrand Rogers 9700 and Flash with Bell Firmware or Factory BB Firmware....

Anyone feel like attempting this

Loth

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Ans unfortunately you will have to be on 2G to get the UMA to connect
    Just a quick note on this - I can get UMA going via my instructions on my branded Rogers 9700 while on 3G, doesn't have to be on 2G. I always leave my phone on '3G' mode only. Having it on 2G or 3G hasn't made a difference so far.

Handoff from 3G to UMA or UMA to 3G is likely broken (I agree with you). I haven't tested this yet (and I likely won't, I will never need to handoff a call between the two fortunately).

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Display Name = Factory Provisioning
    Operator Name = Rogers
    UMA Protocol 3GPP rev. 6
    UNCHECK default....
    Provisioning Address = hbsc.uma.rogers.com
    Port 14001
    UNCHECK Default...
    SEGW Address = segw.uma.rogers.com

SEGW certificate = ca.rogers.com
    For Rogers Branded phones, when we use the automatic import option to save these settings (and according to users of 8900's that I've read about elsewhere), Rogers uses "UMA v. 1.0.4" as their setting for the "UMA protocol version". Have you tested out the "3GPP rev. 6" vs "UMA v. 1.0.4" extensively? I'd imagine the "3GPP rev. 6" is the newer '3G' protocol that is NOT yet supported by the Rogers network (this is just an assumption). I haven't used "3GPP rev. 6" yet at all, I've been using "UMA v. 1.0.4" this whole time. Perhaps until Rogers upgrade their network we should stick to "UMA v. 1.0.4"? I have to test this out and compare the two later today... if you guys have time and haven't already please test the two protocols on the Rogers network and see which one hands off calls better, or at all, when going from 2G to UMA, UMA to 2G, and 3G to UMA, UMA to 3G.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    However, without the connection preference setting, it won't hop over to UMA unless cell signal is 0% and nth more.
    I know this is definitely not true (which is good news!). I have 5 bars EDGE and 5 bars 3G at my house, and it goes to UMA after about 30 seconds when following the instructions I posted for a branded Rogers 9700. Perhaps try using the "UMA v. 1.0.4" protocol instead if you are currently using "3GPP rev. 6".

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inclemental
    for rogers branded 9700, most of the things we changed in escreen will not be saved after u quit the escreen or after reboot.
    even u enable RAT_GAN, it will disable again when u quite escreen.
    after a few tries, only way to trigger UMA for rogers branded 9700 is to enable oneradio at the wifi engineering screens
    Although I saw the oneradio settings, I've never touched them, so I don't think it's related to that... since it's working on mine without having touched anything 'oneradio' related. Hmmm...

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I got UMA to work by forcing all 2G and 3G signal off. But then again if I lose WiFi signal my call drops.

This is the only way to do it for me so far. Not the best but at least I see the lovely UMA logo on my (Rogers branded) phone
    That is actually the only thing I CANNOT do lol. For me, if I have the cell radio off, I CANNOT get a UMA signal . I have to have the cell radio set to 2G or 3G. I do NOT, however, need a cell signal. I tried it somewhere where I have zero cell signal, and UMA connected. I tried it where I have full 3G and 2G signal, and UMA connected... bottom line, for me, is if the cell radio and wifi are turned on then UMA connects.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Next on the To Do List..... Debrand Rogers 9700 and Flash with Bell Firmware or Factory BB Firmware....

Anyone feel like attempting this

Loth
    I've done it to a Rogers 9000 a month or so ago to get it on the Telus network, but I've never been able to find a way to do it on a 9700. I must admit I haven't looked hard but from what I have read it wasn't yet possible..? Hmmm...

Has anyone else read otherwise?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Just one more thing to think about, from what I remember reading back in late 2009 when I first tried to figure out how to get this going, is that the "Connection Preference" options becoming visible is highly related to the certificate... I'm not sure if this is true or not, but since Loth has that setting and we branded Rogers 9700 phone uses do not have it, perhaps he got it after importing the certificate that he got from a 3rd party somewhere?

If so, we branded users could try to use the same ca.rogers.com certificate as Loth... maybe that would unlock it?

This is just a hunch from what I *think* I remember reading 3+ months ago, and perhaps he has already sent some of you branded users the same certificate that he has w/o unlocking the connection pref menu...

Anyways, think about it, if we all keep working on this I'm sure we'll figure it out

EDIT: Bah, the more I think about this it is probably not true... but I'll leave this post here just in case :P

I guess a good question that would answer this is, Loth, did you have the "Connection Preference" option on your BB BEFORE you started all this work to get UMA working (before you imported the certificate and unlocked the escreen etc)?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Just some more info on what 3GPP_GERAN and 3GPP_UTRAN are under the Radio 3GPP settings (read up on this after Loth mentioned them in another forum earlier today):

3GPP_GERAN (GSM/GPRS/EDGE): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GERAN
    3GPP_UTRAN (3G): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_Te...Access_Network
    3GPP_GAN (UMA): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unlicensed_Mobile_Access

So now that we (I) understand what these all are, I suppose those of us who have branded Rogers 9700's and therefore no "Connection Preference" under "Mobile Network Options" can set the preference with these settings. So, if you want to be on 2G mode AND UMA with UMA as the preference, you would set 3GPP_GERAN to Enabled, 3GPP_UTRAN to Disabled, 3GPP_GAN to Enabled, and GAN Preference to GAN.

Of course as others have mentioned these settings disappear after a reboot so you'll have to go to the engineering screen every time to do it UNTIL we can unlock "Connection Preference" in the "Mobile Network Options" screen for branded Rogers 9700's [would someone get on that already? lol]

EDIT: Although I figured that doing what I just said above would work for me, in testing it, it does not. I have to have GERAN and UTRAN set to disabled for UMA to kick in, period... anyone else with a branded Rogers 9700 have different results?

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast