Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: UMA WORKING!! Unlocked Bell 9700 -> Rogers Talkspot! OMG

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Trafsta can you tell us how you get UMA when on 3G? Thanks

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brucele
    Trafsta can you tell us how you get UMA when on 3G? Thanks
    Just follow my previous instructions Thats all I have done...
    But when I leave the WiFi area, the call gets dropped, it does not hand off to 3G at all. And it won't even hop onto 3G until I disable/re-enable the 3G radio...

And that is the problem and why we need to unhide the "Connection Preference" option under "Mobile Network Options"... unbranding a Rogers 9700 BB is not yet possible, so I don't know how we are going to accomplish that...

For now, whenever I get to my desk at work, I just enable UMA via my instructions and then when I leave work I have to reset the 3G radio to get back onto 3G... I can't figure out a better way of doing it... yet

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    So i have got this to work for me... but how about when you reboot the device? do you loss all settings? or do the certs save?

SO if i pull the battery, or use quickpull is my UMA abilities going to disappear? thoughts?
    Check out my Theme blog
    Click Here

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer
    So i have got this to work for me... but how about when you reboot the device? do you loss all settings? or do the certs save?

SO if i pull the battery, or use quickpull is my UMA abilities going to disappear? thoughts?
    The certs and UMA profile will remain after a reboot. You just have to go to the "Multi-WAF Engineering Screens", then "Radio Control Engineering Screen", then "3GPP" and then set it to "Disabled", "Disabled", "Enabled", "GAN" and hit "Set RAT Configuration" after a reboot when you want UMA back on...

It definitely isn't perfect until someone figures out how to unlock/unhide the "Connection Preference" item in "Mobile Network Options".

Feedback Score
    This is all very positive, it appears that Rogers has finally upgraded its GAN servers to support UMA on 3G devices.

They are probably still in the testing mode, hopefully in the next month or two they will announce 'official' support for UMA for 3G devices like the 9700, and there will be an upgrade made available that will support UMA 'out of the box'.

It is very heartening to be see this early confirmation that the Rogers infrastructure will support UMA on the 9700. This validates earlier comments and speculation that the GAN/UMA server upgrade was in the works!

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AJSHER
    This is all very positive, it appears that Rogers has finally upgraded its GAN servers to support UMA on 3G devices.

They are probably still in the testing mode, hopefully in the next month or two they will announce 'official' support for UMA for 3G devices like the 9700, and there will be an upgrade made available that will support UMA 'out of the box'.

It is very heartening to be see this early confirmation that the Rogers infrastructure will support UMA on the 9700. This validates earlier comments and speculation that the GAN/UMA server upgrade was in the works!
    Let's hope thats the case, I do think it is, but who knows. I am still using "UMA v. 1.0.4" protocol instead of "3GPP rev. 6" (which I assume is the new 3G protocol they are implementing). "UMA v. 1.0.4" is what the BB 8900 uses.

Both of these protocols seem to work for me, I've tried both, but I'm sticking to the older one for now....

So does that mean the 3G protocol has been implemented and is in testing by Rogers? I guess so lol, but I wouldn't hold my breath till they actually publicly release this capability to the masses.. it could be years knowing how fast Rogers moves :P

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothario80
    Part #1 March 9 2010
    To load a security certificate, you may need to run the install software for Desktop Manager and "MODIFY" the options which you have installed to include "Certificate Syncronization".
    Once you have that "Cert Sync" option available, click on it and import the certificate file which I will have provided. Once synched it will be on your Berry!

Loth
    Got a question. During installation of BBDM v5.0.1 there is an option under Custom Install to enabled Certificate synchronization. If this is isntalled in BBDM will this affect the Cert Sync?

Thanks.
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trafsta

I guess a good question that would answer this is, Loth, did you have the "Connection Preference" option on your BB BEFORE you started all this work to get UMA working (before you imported the certificate and unlocked the escreen etc)?
    This a good point. I searched around and apparently only 9700's who's provider has uma option for that device would have these settings.
    I don't think that Bell has uma, do they? It would be interesting if someone with a Bell 9700 could post whether they do in fact have this option.
    If you look in the escreens under the GAN control, there are certificates for a few providers, and Bell isn't one of them. T-mobile has a few thought.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Namueab
    This a good point. I searched around and apparently only 9700's who's provider has uma option for that device would have these settings.
    I don't think that Bell has uma, do they? It would be interesting if someone with a Bell 9700 could post whether they do in fact have this option.
    If you look in the escreens under the GAN control, there are certificates for a few providers, and Bell isn't one of them. T-mobile has a few thought.
    lol funny I was going to ask shortly if Bell or Telus offered UMA, I am 99% sure they do not, but wanted to check for the same reason as you.

We have a ton of Telus 9700's and none of them have the connection preference option. I'd love to know if Bell has this option by default (I doubt it does).

I am wondering if unlocking your 9700 somehow gives it to you. I've unlocked a 9000, but never a 9700, so I do not know. Gonna ask a friend who usually unlocks his phones if he's unlocked his yet and if he has the option (he's on Rogers though)...
    Edit: asked him and already received a response. His Rogers 9700 is unlocked and he is on .545 and does NOT have the "Connection Preferences" option under "Mobile Network Options"...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    hmmm what about debranding the devices? wouldnt that open up the conenction preferences? just a thought?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    hmmm what about debranding the devices? wouldnt that open up the conenction preferences? just a thought?
    Yes, but as I previously mentioned, debranding the 9700, to my knowledge, is not yet possible. I've done it for the 9000... but the tools for the 9700 have not yet been made available.... perhaps there is a paid service out there somewhere that can do it, but nothing widely available for people like you and I to do it ourselves...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Sorry i must have missed that when i was reading the previous pages...

again my head is done right now from reading things... has anyone looked in the escreens of a Tmobile device to see whats diff in there vs a rogers device to see if that will bring up the connection preferences? ... sorry if i missed that somewhere in the thread

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    has anyone looked in the escreens of a Tmobile device to see whats diff in there vs a rogers device to see if that will bring up the connection preferences?
    Good question. I don't think anyone has done this yet, but yes it would be a great idea. Anyone know someone with a tmobile 9700?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    i have a friend that is going to look at a 8520 from tmobile and see what that escreen says and compare it to his 9700 so maybe we might have some luck with that

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    i have a friend that is going to look at a 8520 from tmobile and see what that escreen says and compare it to his 9700 so maybe we might have some luck with that
    Awesome Looking forward to hearing your/his results.

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast