Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: UMA WORKING!! Unlocked Bell 9700 -> Rogers Talkspot! OMG

Device(s)
    Acer Liquid E
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    My wife's Rogers 8520 has connection preference and had wifi preferred set in it. But my Rogers 9700 doesn't and I noticed it when I got it over a week ago. Is there a way you can extract something off one Rogers branded Berry and import it to another?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700, BlackBerry Tour
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.423 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/331)

Being from CDMA recently moved to HSPA and coming from a carrier that doesn't support UMA I'm interested to know what the deal is on UMA? Why do people need or want UMA? If it still eats into your bucket of minutes is the only real benefit of having UMA for the times where you don't have coverage but have a wifi signal?
    The meaning of religion:

Catholicism teaches: if * happens, you deserve it.
    Christianity teaches: if * happens, Praise god for it.
    Confucianism teaches: if * happens, let it happen properly.
    Taoism teaches: if you understand *, it isnt *.
    Buddhism teaches: if * happens, it isnt really * b/c everything that happens to you is good.
    Hinduism teaches: I've seen this * before...
    Shintoism teaches: you inherit the * of your ancestors.
    Atheism says I dont believe this *!!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trafsta
    lol funny I was going to ask shortly if Bell or Telus offered UMA, I am 99% sure they do not, but wanted to check for the same reason as you.

We have a ton of Telus 9700's and none of them have the connection preference option. I'd love to know if Bell has this option by default (I doubt it does).

I am wondering if unlocking your 9700 somehow gives it to you. I've unlocked a 9000, but never a 9700, so I do not know. Gonna ask a friend who usually unlocks his phones if he's unlocked his yet and if he has the option (he's on Rogers though)...
    Edit: asked him and already received a response. His Rogers 9700 is unlocked and he is on .545 and does NOT have the "Connection Preferences" option under "Mobile Network Options"...
    I posted in the Bell section asking that if someone with an official Bell Mobility 9700 could check for the "wifi preferred" under the manage connections and someone replied that there were no such settings on their phone.
    loth must have done something else to enable this, or he has one special Bell 9700.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gquie
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.423 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/331)

Being from CDMA recently moved to HSPA and coming from a carrier that doesn't support UMA I'm interested to know what the deal is on UMA? Why do people need or want UMA? If it still eats into your bucket of minutes is the only real benefit of having UMA for the times where you don't have coverage but have a wifi signal?
    Other than for people with low or no coverage (thats me), if you pay $10 a month, you get unlimited minutes. If it you pay $15 a month, you get unlimited minutes Canada wide. I believe it's called Rogers Talkspot. It's great for people who do not have a land-line. They can get the lowest minute package, pay either $10-15 on top of that, and talk all they want anywhere there is WiFi without worrying about minutes. This is great for business people (I play on getting some of our executives and sales staff who talk alllll day long on their cell to try it out once it works flawlessly on their Rogers 9700's), and even more so, women who talk talk talk all day long, like my 18 year old sister lol... too bad she has an unbranded Rogers Bold 9000 and is on Telus lol...

You do not need the $10/$15 Talkspot package though, UMA works without it. It just eats into your regular minutes like talking across the Rogers cell network would...

I've already ran into a few situations in the past day where I needed to call someone while in a zero-signal section of our plant (which is wifi enabled across many many acres of land). It's been awesome so far

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Namueab
    I posted in the Bell section asking that if someone with an official Bell Mobility 9700 could check for the "wifi preferred" under the manage connections and someone replied that there were no such settings on their phone.
    loth must have done something else to enable this, or he has one special Bell 9700.
    Awesome, thanks for doing that.

So, Loth, how'd you get yours to show up? lol...

Maybe it's just a matter of getting any non-Rogers branded phone, unlocking it, and throwing it on the Rogers network... either that or Loth did something to get it to show up

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    Loth, I'd be interested in comparing service book entries. I'll attempt to post mine up a bit later and see if we can find any significant differences.

Also, is the serial number for your ca.rogers.com certificate: B6AC E4F4 CCCA 5124?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007
    l number for your ca.rogers.com certificate: B6AC E4F4 CCCA 5124?
    Awesome idea to check that. FYI, mine is the same as yours. Will be interesting to see if his is any different (really depends where he got his cert from I guess).

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I have everything working correctly with UMA on my phone.

However I'd like to be able to disable the cellular network entirely and only use UMA when I'm in the states. I've never been able to get UMA to work with "mobile network" disabled and WiFi enabled.

Is there something I'm overlooking?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.545 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/331)

Quote Originally Posted by Namueab
    Awesome, thanks for doing that.

So, Loth, how'd you get yours to show up? lol...

Maybe it's just a matter of getting any non-Rogers branded phone, unlocking it, and throwing it on the Rogers network... either that or Loth did something to get it to show up
    All my Berries are magical! The network options showed up as soon as I added the uma profile. I haven't done anything different than what I've posted. The options only appeared when I added the profile and it dissapears when I delete the profile.
    I use a Bell 9700, nothing fancy!

I've also tested this on an unlocked AWS Wind Blackberry 9700 in 2G mode, the drop down appeared when I added the UMA profile. I'm thinking the Rogers' Branded one might have this blocked?

Loth
    Last edited by Lothario80; 03-11-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.545 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/331)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007
    l number for your ca.rogers.com certificate: B6AC E4F4 CCCA 5124?
    Awesome idea to check that. FYI, mine is the same as yours. Will be interesting to see if his is any different (really depends where he got his cert from I guess).
    Same certificate.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by AJSHER
    This is all very positive, it appears that Rogers has finally upgraded its GAN servers to support UMA on 3G devices.

They are probably still in the testing mode, hopefully in the next month or two they will announce 'official' support for UMA for 3G devices like the 9700, and there will be an upgrade made available that will support UMA 'out of the box'.

It is very heartening to be see this early confirmation that the Rogers infrastructure will support UMA on the 9700. This validates earlier comments and speculation that the GAN/UMA server upgrade was in the works!
    Let's hope thats the case, I do think it is, but who knows. I am still using "UMA v. 1.0.4" protocol instead of "3GPP rev. 6" (which I assume is the new 3G protocol they are implementing). "UMA v. 1.0.4" is what the BB 8900 uses.

Both of these protocols seem to work for me, I've tried both, but I'm sticking to the older one for now....

So does that mean the 3G protocol has been implemented and is in testing by Rogers? I guess so lol, but I wouldn't hold my breath till they actually publicly release this capability to the masses.. it could be years knowing how fast Rogers moves :P
    3G to UMA does NOT work. There hasn't been under any of my testing conditions a handoff from 3G to UMA. I wonder if someone can build an app to force the phone to 2G upon successful connection to WiFi which in turn would fix the issue with having 3G turned on!

Loth

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8300, 9000, 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I know this is definitely not true (which is good news!). I have 5 bars EDGE and 5 bars 3G at my house, and it goes to UMA after about 30 seconds when following the instructions I posted for a branded Rogers 9700. Perhaps try using the "UMA v. 1.0.4" protocol instead if you are currently using "3GPP rev. 6".
    Never thought about this being an issue. I will try changing it to UMA v 1.0.4 later today. Will report later
    I want a new phone!!!

I wish Rogers would have the same speed I have at school.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8300, 9000, 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    That is actually the only thing I CANNOT do lol. For me, if I have the cell radio off, I CANNOT get a UMA signal . I have to have the cell radio set to 2G or 3G. I do NOT, however, need a cell signal. I tried it somewhere where I have zero cell signal, and UMA connected. I tried it where I have full 3G and 2G signal, and UMA connected... bottom line, for me, is if the cell radio and wifi are turned on then UMA connects.
    To turn off the cell signal do not do it within your Mobile Network Options (if you want to force UMA)

Instead go to Engineering Screen --> Multi-WAF... --> Radio Control... --> 3GPP and then set

3GPP_GERAN (aka 2G signal) to disabled
    3GPP_UTRAN (aka 3G signal) to disabled
    3GPP_GAN (aka UMA signal) to enabled
    GAN Preference to GAN

then after all this click on Set RAT Configuration

90% of the chance this forces my berry to be in UMA mode. But it's because I disabled both 2G and 3G signal, so there is no handoff.

Edit: NVM I guess you already got to this before I got to typing out my reply

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwammi
    To turn off the cell signal do not do it within your Mobile Network Options (if you want to force UMA)

Instead go to Engineering Screen --> Multi-WAF... --> Radio Control... --> 3GPP and then set

3GPP_GERAN (aka 2G signal) to disabled
    3GPP_UTRAN (aka 3G signal) to disabled
    3GPP_GAN (aka UMA signal) to enabled
    GAN Preference to GAN

then after all this click on Set RAT Configuration

90% of the chance this forces my berry to be in UMA mode. But it's because I disabled both 2G and 3G signal, so there is no handoff.

Edit: NVM I guess you already got to this before I got to typing out my reply
    heheheh yeah I know, those were my instructions after all

Some people are looking for ways to do it with the radio totally off so that they can roam in the US or overseas without fear of the cell radio hoping on to foreign networks.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    ROGERS SECURITY CERT - OUTSIDE LINK

hxxp://forums.crackberry.com/attachments/f65/47480d1259994110-uma-device-swapping-ca.rogers.com.zip

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast