Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: UMA WORKING!! Unlocked Bell 9700 -> Rogers Talkspot! OMG

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Basically I read a bunch of other forums threads for getting UMA working on other providers in Europe, and so once you have the Engineering Screen up go to "Mobile Network Engineering Screens", then "Utilities ...", then "Session Manager", then hit the menu button and go to "UMA Options", hit the menu button again and go to "Add Rogers UMA profiles" and it'll inject the Rogers certificates and profile (it may ask you to create a cert store profile w/ password, just go ahead and do that). You will then have "Rogers" in your UMA list. Select it and then go back and hit Save.

Then make sure your cell radio and wifi is turned on still and go back to the main menu of the Engineering Screen and go to the "Multi-WAF Engineering Screens", then "Radio Control Engineering Screen", then "3GPP", and what I did was mess around in here by changing the 4 "Unknowns" to "Enabled", "Enabled", "Enabled", "GAN", and then go down to "Set RAT Configuration" and click on it. And that did it... (EDIT: It should be "Disabled", "Disabled", "Enabled", "GAN" - this seems to work better after trying 4 or 5 more times)

I'm not sure if I did anything else, just like Inclemental I messed around in here a lot... wait for Lothario80's final instructions for more details and I'm sure he has more specifics on what exactly the settings need to be... mines definitely not working perfectly yet.

Props to you Lothario80 for all your hard work on this! You rule!

Here are some other threads I've been following for months on this that helped me figure it out just now (no way it would be possible without Lothario80 though!):
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/uma...apping-218920/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/um...rogers-286361/

Heading home now. I'll be back in an hour or so to check on the progress here Exciting stuff! Can't wait to see how it works at home on my Rogers internet connection (we have a wireless internet connection at work so its not as good as it'll be at home for UMA).
    Last edited by trafsta; 03-10-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    I'm guessing that you could also manually input Rogers UMA server addresses in the UMA profile. I don't know what the 3GPP section would have to do with getting UMA working, but who knows!

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8300, 9000, 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Boo...it doesn't work for me. Oh well

Patiently waiting for Loth then
    I want a new phone!!!

I wish Rogers would have the same speed I have at school.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    i updated my OS from 531 to 442 in office, still no "connection preference" option in mobile connection option. can't test UMA as don't have access to wifi at work

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007
    I'm guessing that you could also manually input Rogers UMA server addresses in the UMA profile. I don't know what the 3GPP section would have to do with getting UMA working, but who knows!
    Yes you can put it in manually, it's just a lot easier to import it if you have a Rogers branded 9700. if not, then import the certificate (ca.rogers.com, google it or check the other threads I posted, they have it), then create the profile manually.

3GPP GAN is what you are after under the 3GPP section (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Access_Network).. GAN = UMA I believe.

So far I cannot get it working at home, but it did work at work.

I tried talking to my wife as I left my office (talked through UMA) and it dropped the call when I got too far from the office and WiFi dropped out. I had my phone set to 2G EDGE only though, so that could be why...

OH as I wrote this the UMA symbol showed up. Seems it took a few minutes to kick in at home. I'm set to 2G EDGE mode again, not 3G...

To see if its starting to work, under "Multi-WAF Engineering Screens" go to "Tunnel Engineering Screen". There you should see 1 tunel for your 3GPP cell radio connection, 1 for WLAN (WiFi), and 1 for "VPN" which is your UMA VPN tunnel to Rogers UMA server. If you only see 2 connections there its not working. But if you see 3 you can probably expect the UMA icon to popup in a minute or two.

Whenever I get UMA showing up its been by having my phone in "2G" mode, not "3G" or "3G & 2G"... no idea if this is required to be in 2G... but I just tested this again and this was the case on my 3rd successful attempt to get UMA going.

Anyways, I think I'm done posting for a while. Lets wait for Loth's details instructions... I'm probably just making things worse for a lot of you :P

EDIT: One last post, a correction to my earlier instructions, it's "Disabled", "Disabled", "Enabled", "GAN" that seems to work the best (while in 2G mode) for getting me into UMA fast. Another EDIT: seems like with these settings it works while in "3G"-only mode too... yay... dunno how the UMA --> 3G handoff would be though, I heard only UMA --> 2G (EDGE) handoff works smoothly... I am too tired to test this out by walking out of my house in the cold so I'll let someone else worry about that :P

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Trafsta, your method worked on my Rogers Branded 9700. However, I am in central time zone, and when uma kicked in it updated me to pacific. Hmmm....

I also don't have UMA in the settings as loth has. Don't know what's up. Anxiously awaiting his official instructions!!
    Thanks!

*edit* with some further messing around if I shut the mobile network off in settings, this changes back all the changes I made under the "disabled...etc" section.
    I wish OP would come on here and post his thoughts. I'm still anxiously awaiting his input once again.

Device(s)
    Bold
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trafsta
    Yes you can put it in manually, it's just a lot easier to import it if you have a Rogers branded 9700. if not, then import the certificate (ca.rogers.com, google it or check the other threads I posted, they have it), then create the profile manually.

3GPP GAN is what you are after under the 3GPP section (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Access_Network).. GAN = UMA I believe.

So far I cannot get it working at home, but it did work at work.

I tried talking to my wife as I left my office (talked through UMA) and it dropped the call when I got too far from the office and WiFi dropped out. I had my phone set to 2G EDGE only though, so that could be why...

OH as I wrote this the UMA symbol showed up. Seems it took a few minutes to kick in at home. I'm set to 2G EDGE mode again, not 3G...

To see if its starting to work, under "Multi-WAF Engineering Screens" go to "Tunnel Engineering Screen". There you should see 1 tunel for your 3GPP cell radio connection, 1 for WLAN (WiFi), and 1 for "VPN" which is your UMA VPN tunnel to Rogers UMA server. If you only see 2 connections there its not working. But if you see 3 you can probably expect the UMA icon to popup in a minute or two.

Whenever I get UMA showing up its been by having my phone in "2G" mode, not "3G" or "3G & 2G"... no idea if this is required to be in 2G... but I just tested this again and this was the case on my 3rd successful attempt to get UMA going.

Anyways, I think I'm done posting for a while. Lets wait for Loth's details instructions... I'm probably just making things worse for a lot of you :P

EDIT: One last post, a correction to my earlier instructions, it's "Disabled", "Disabled", "Enabled", "GAN" that seems to work the best (while in 2G mode) for getting me into UMA fast. Another EDIT: seems like with these settings it works while in "3G"-only mode too... yay... dunno how the UMA --> 3G handoff would be though, I heard only UMA --> 2G (EDGE) handoff works smoothly... I am too tired to test this out by walking out of my house in the cold so I'll let someone else worry about that :P
    Following your instructions, I am getting UMA on my 9700, and correct, if I am on 2G & 3G, no joy, 2G no problem, 3G only no problem

still a good step!

Feedback Score
    Does the phone need to be unlocked. I got a Rogers 9700 and I found the key gen online and put it on my webserver but I enter the key and it does nothing.

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    It doesn't have to be unlocked.

I want to remind everyone that you could do some real harm to your phone by playing around in the engineering screens. If you're not comfortable with it, I'd advise you to wait until a complete set of instructions is available before making any changes.

I've got UMA working. Handoff between UMA & 3G seems to be hit or miss. I'm going to stop messing around now until we get some more detailed instructions from those who have already figured it all out

Feedback Score
    Hmmm then I wonder why I cant enter the code.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bboy9700
    Try generating another, and if that doesn't work another. The first time I did it, the first code worked, I restored my phone then it took 3 or 4 tries.
    Hope this helps

Device(s)
    Bold
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.545 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Fyi, I am running the latest leak (545)

This works on that build, too

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bboy9700
    make sure you put the info exactly as it appears in the help screen (alt+h).

For example, you can't just put the OS version of "5.0.0.536", it has to be, for example, "5.0.0.536 (701)".

Oh and also, put your PIN in the EXACT same case as you see it in the help screen (not all in caps). So if your pin is 208cfg1h put it like that, not 208CFG1H...

Hope this helps.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Namueab
    Trafsta, your method worked on my Rogers Branded 9700. However, I am in central time zone, and when uma kicked in it updated me to pacific. Hmmm....
    Under Options --> Date/Time, set "Auto update time zone" to off, that should stop it from doing that I'm guessing...

Quote Originally Posted by Namueab
    I also don't have UMA in the settings as loth has. Don't know what's up. Anxiously awaiting his official instructions!!
    Thanks!
    Yeah I have been wondering about this as well and meant to ask if anyone else had gotten it to show up. Maybe there is a hack somewhere to make it appear? No idea... sux though, cause I personally think that once we have this in network options that it will automatically keep UMA working even after a battery pull reboot... just a hunch though, could be wrong... time will tell!

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trafsta
    Basically I read a bunch of other forums threads for getting UMA working on other providers in Europe, and so once you have the Engineering Screen up go to "Mobile Network Engineering Screens", then "Utilities ...", then "Session Manager", then hit the menu button and go to "UMA Options", hit the menu button again and go to "Add Rogers UMA profiles" and it'll inject the Rogers certificates and profile (it may ask you to create a cert store profile w/ password, just go ahead and do that). You will then have "Rogers" in your UMA list. Select it and then go back and hit Save.

Then make sure your cell radio and wifi is turned on still and go back to the main menu of the Engineering Screen and go to the "Multi-WAF Engineering Screens", then "Radio Control Engineering Screen", then "3GPP", and what I did was mess around in here by changing the 4 "Unknowns" to "Enabled", "Enabled", "Enabled", "GAN", and then go down to "Set RAT Configuration" and click on it. And that did it... (EDIT: It should be "Disabled", "Disabled", "Enabled", "GAN" - this seems to work better after trying 4 or 5 more times)

I'm not sure if I did anything else, just like Inclemental I messed around in here a lot... wait for Lothario80's final instructions for more details and I'm sure he has more specifics on what exactly the settings need to be... mines definitely not working perfectly yet.

Props to you Lothario80 for all your hard work on this! You rule!

Here are some other threads I've been following for months on this that helped me figure it out just now (no way it would be possible without Lothario80 though!):
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/uma...apping-218920/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/um...rogers-286361/

Heading home now. I'll be back in an hour or so to check on the progress here Exciting stuff! Can't wait to see how it works at home on my Rogers internet connection (we have a wireless internet connection at work so its not as good as it'll be at home for UMA).
    amazing find. followed all your steps on my rogers branded 9700. works flawlessly. even did a test call with a local 7 digit number, and i get an automated system telling me that "the call you are making is a local 10 digit call, the call cannot be completed. please dial the area code and the 7 digit number you are calling" (at least something along those lines). same exact error msg i get when i used to make calls from my 8900 that i would dial the actual 7 digit number, rather than dialing from the contacts which are preset with all the area codes. can confirm my phone was not bricked throughout the process (carefully not trying to mess any other setting within the escreen. thank you

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast