N95-4
    iPhone (S.O.)
    Motorola V3 Razr (then V3xx)
    Carriers
    Cingular
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Android GSM QWERTY sliders?

I use AT&T, want 3G speed, want current Android, and need a QWERTY hardware keyboard. I've had/tried quite a few virtuals; they just don't work for me. And I really prefer sliders. So, other than the Moto Milestone (which is hard to find in Telus AT&T-friendly form) and the AT&T Backflip (locked down and crippled by AT&T, slower processor, older Android version), what's on the way or out that would work on AT&T 3G bands and has a qwerty slider?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I went thru the same dilemma, and you have really identified the only 2 devices that support ATT with a real keyboard. I got the milestone. I looked at the backflip the other day, but was not impressed with motoblur. Id like to see a vertical slider form factor (ala the Pre). I guess its not "cool" to have a keyboard anymore.
    Carl

Phones
    N95-4
    iPhone (S.O.)
    Carriers
    Cingular
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I was pretty underwhelmed by the BackFlip, plus it's pretty locked down and not cheap if you can't use the AT&T credits. (iPhone disaster a few months ago.)

Any theories on the S-E X10 Mini Pro?

Feedback Score
    There is the phone known here in Canada as the LG Eve (also called LG 620 or something). It runs Android, has a slide-out QWERTY, resistive touchscreen. Reviews are moderately positive.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think the Eve is still on 1.5 or 1.6. Im not sure that makes a huge difference. I wanted a 2.0 release to get built in VPN and exchange support, but I thought I saw exchange support is on the backflip. The VPN support is not doing me much good right this second as I can not get it to work. The Sony X10 looks like a nice handset, but SE is terrible about releasing products in a timely fashion. I predict that by the time it comes out, it will be yesterday's news. I was hoping that HTC would come out with something, but they are probably a little busy at the moment.

Phones
    Xperia X10a
    Xperia X10a
    BB Curve 2
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I admit I was skeptical on the the Backflip. I bought one on Sunday anyway and planned to return it in the 30 day window.

After using it for the last few days, I love the phone. I thought the keyboard being on the outside would be a bad thing, actually I like it. It gives the device a secure feeling when holding it. Because you are not just holding a plastic backing it feels very secure in your hand. The keyboard is slightly recessed and almost feels like a grip. The metal body also gives the phone a great feel and it doesn't show fingerprints. The display is incredibly responsive and is capacitive not resistive. The camera faces you when the keyboard is open and makes for great self-portrait shots. I have picked up typing on the keyboard very quickly and I have no issues with the keyboard at all.

All in all, this phone was a pleasant surprise for me. I do not play games and such on a portable device so the performance on this phone has been more than adequate for me. I like the narrow (candybarish) dimensions and the thickness is about right. This device is only ever so slightly thicker than the Pure I was using prior. I have owned three iPhones and two other Android phones (G1 and myTouch) and I am much happier with the Backflip than any other phone I have owned.

The whole Yahoo instead of Google is not of much concern for me. I already changed my browser to default to Google as the home page. I never really use the widget search bar anyway. I am also confident that some hacks will take care of changing the default back to Google soon enough. I also do most of my searches in wikipedia and there is an app for that.

I am pleasantly surprised by how much I am enjoying the blur interface as well. No real complaints there either. Sure, there are a few things that can improve but nothing is perfect. Time will take care of any minor issues.

Yes, it could have a faster processor but for my needs it doesn't seem to be an issue. The phone feels solid and the keyboard should hold up as well as any other candybar phone with a keypad does. I am definitely happy with this purchase.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy the Backflip, just wanted to give my opinion after using it for a few days.

Phones
    N95-4
    iPhone (S.O.)
    Carriers
    Cingular
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Naples, glad you're enjoying it. I write a lot of my own software for my phone (e.g. MilliLock) and load other software on it; my understanding is that the Backflip is locked down too tightly for that. Correct or not?

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    The New AT&T
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Motorola DEXT from TelCel

Phones
    Xperia X10a
    Xperia X10a
    BB Curve 2
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoCat
    Naples, glad you're enjoying it. I write a lot of my own software for my phone (e.g. MilliLock) and load other software on it; my understanding is that the Backflip is locked down too tightly for that. Correct or not?
    Well, there is an option missing that would allow you to install an apk from the sd directly on the phone. You can still load apk files via adb (Android SDK) on a PC. I just loaded a Google Voice Search apk using this method.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have the same issue but I have t-mobile there are only a handful of andriods that use the aws brand an dif they do they are touchscreen only. I would like to get an unlocked phone instead of the t-mobile branded so I can keep my current data plan, but I know eventually I will have to pay if I want to utilize its 3g performance.
    With T-Mobile since 2003
    1000min Family Time $69.99
    Unlimited Family Messaging $9.99
    Preferred Unlimited Mytouch Internet $20 x2
    Premium Handset Insurance $7.99 x2
    MyFaves add-on $Free x2

I plan Events and Weddings
    EGO Productions: Events Glamourously Outdone

Ideal Phone: Android with a keyboard, 2ghz processor 32g ROM and 2g RAM, front facing camera, and running with all bands of 3G and 4G with UMA...I can dream can't I!

Feedback Score

Comparative chart

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoCat View Post
    I use AT&T, want 3G speed, want current Android, and need a QWERTY hardware keyboard. [...] what's on the way or out that would work on AT&T 3G bands and has a qwerty slider?
    Hello there. While asking myself the same question (which Android smartphone is there that has a decent slate screen AND a slide-out qwerty keyboard?) I came upon your post. There are many people asking themselves the same question. Not many asnwers though. I made a comparative chart to help me decide. Everything in it might not be useful, because is pertains to buying a canadian phone to use on the canadian carrier Koodo, but still... it's all the best - and all the okay - phones that I found out there, that answer that question.

Not too sure about compatibility with AT&T, but there shouldn't be a problem if you buy it unlocked, since all the phones listed here are Quadband GSM + 3G (so-called "international" or "world" phone).

Hope this helps !

here is the link to the chart: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14284187/12-...artphones.xlsx