Phones
    BlackBerry 8820
    Motorola EM326
    Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Switching to Net10 from AT&T

Hello everyone, I'm a long time AT&T subscriber, I've finally realized that I hardly use my line on my mother's family plan. My line is currently under contract since April of 2009, and I'd like to make the switch to Net10. Particularly the phone I'm interested in purchasing is the Motorola EM326. I have no problem paying the cancellation fee since I will be saving a lot of money. However I would like to keep my same telephone number. The Net10 website says that they can transfer numbers in my area (LNP). I wanted to know if anyone could explain to me how I would go about this. As I was reading, it said that the current number DOES have to be active.

Would I...

1) Buy my Net10 Phone
    2) Activate Net10 and transfer number during activation process
    3) Cancel my AT&T line and contract

Or would the activation with the existing number automatically cancel my AT&T line?

Any help as to how I would do this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Carriers
    Sprint
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't touch your AT&T line. The act of porting will automatically cancel your old line.

So 1) Buy your new phone
    2) Activate and port in your old number
    3) You'll get an AT&T bill for your last month + Early Cancellation Fee.

You will need the account number (and passcode, if there is one) from your AT&T account. You can get this from a recent bill or by calling AT&T customer service.

Do some research on Net10- you have the choice between Net10 on the AT&T network, on the T-Mobile network or on the Verizon network, and you can choose by closely examining the phone info before you buy (either the website URL or the physical box). The EM326 is either a T-Mobile or AT&T network phone, depending on which SIM card is included.
    [SIZE][font=Geneva,Verdana]renew orleans

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    In addition to OOPSZ`s advice, a few additional words of caution:
    1-Make sure the phone number you are porting has not accidently been classified the "Principal contract Phone". Once this one cancels all sub phones would also cancel.
    2-Port the phone number THEN activate the EM326 (if you activate first a new phone number is assigned to the SIM and since it cannot ever accept another number you will need a new SIM for your ported number). If you are at all unsure of the process, ask us.

If you order from other than Net10 GSM4 Market area you won`t get a AT&T SIM and might end up on the T-Mobile network.

Please read my posts in this thread for discount codes for ordering online and links for getting an AT&T SIM phone (or T-Mobile) and other Info. you will need to know. http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1625736

Phones
    BlackBerry 8820
    Motorola EM326
    Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Okay, thank you both for your responses. Now how would I go about finding out which network the EM326 will run on. I live in the western new york area and would probably be purchasing the phone from best buy.

I also read that in the IMEI or other number on the packaging will tell me which one it runs on.

I thought that Net10/Tracfone always ran on both ATT and TMobile networks. If they run on only one or the other, which one is better?

And, if they run on ATT, how do they claim to have better coverage? Just very curious as to how Net10/Tracfone works with their coverage.

Thanks!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimysessanna
    Okay, thank you both for your responses. Now how would I go about finding out which network the EM326 will run on. I live in the western new york area and would probably be purchasing the phone from best buy.

I also read that in the IMEI or other number on the packaging will tell me which one it runs on.

I thought that Net10/Tracfone always ran on both ATT and TMobile networks. If they run on only one or the other, which one is better?

And, if they run on ATT, how do they claim to have better coverage? Just very curious as to how Net10/Tracfone works with their coverage.

Thanks!
    At your local store look at the lable on the very bottom of the plastic wrap. The Net10 EM326 model number at the top of this label will read NTMT326GP4 (AT&T) - if it ends in P5 its T-Mobile. The IMEI (phone serial number) is the bottom number on the label but it gives no indication of the service provider. The SIM serial number does, but it`s not on the label. A SIM serial number starting with 890141 is AT&T, 890141 is T-Mobile.

An AT&T SIM card means that the phone will seek out AT&T towers. A T-Mobile SIM will seek out T-Mobile towers. A phone will stay with this primary provider as long as it can keep a signal, NO MATTER HOW POOR. It will only roam to another when it can find no signal from the primary provider.

If T-Mobile is known to be better in your area and you don`t plan to use the phone while traveling look for a phone with a T-Mobile SIM. Most everyone finds AT&T coverage to be far superior to T-Mobile (especially while traveling).