Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tethering on a Samsung Gravity 2

Phone
    Samsung Gravity 2
    Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score

Tethering on a Samsung Gravity 2

Tethering to a Windows PC via USB on the Samsung Gravity 2 does work.

Found an appropriate USB cable at a computer store on College St. west of Spadina.
    It's a generic manufacturer USB Data cable for mobile Devices -- Model number on the box is G600.

Took a bit of hunting to find the software for Windows that includes the drivers for the Samsung Gravity 2

Samsung New PC Studio v1.4.0.IL2

Google it -- and make sure you get it from a Samsung web site.

Setup
    1) First, install the New PC Studio software -- this will also install the Windows drivers for the Gravity 2.
    2) Run the New PC Studio software, so that it is waiting for a connection.
    3) Power off the Gravity 2 phone, plug in the USB cable to the phone and connect to the PC.
    Note: powering off the phone is only required for initial setup -- just seems to work better. After the initial setup, you can just plug it in while powered on anytime.
    4) Turn on the Gravity 2 phone. If prompted, turn off Bluetooth. For some reason the USB connection and Bluetooth can't operate concurrently.
    5) When prompted on the Gravity 2 for USB Mode selection, choose 'PC Studio'.
    4) New hardware wizard in Windows will announce New Hardware detected and associate the correct drivers.
    5) New PC Studio software will detect the phone and a phone icon will appear in the upper right-hand corner labeled SGH-T469W (the Gravity 2 model number)

Internet Connection
    1) Click on the Widgets icon (the blue puzzle piece on the left side of the New PC Studio ribbon bar)
    2) Click on the Internet Connector icon
    3) Internet Connector dialog should have the SGH-469W phone auto-populated in the drop down box. If not, select it.
    4) Create a Connection Profile by clicking on the Add icon on the lower right-hand corner (white square with a plus sign)
    5) In the Connection Profile dialog assign a profile name, make sure that 'Samsung Mobile Modem V2' is checked in the modem list, select country 'Canada', select network provider 'Wind Mobile', and Click OK
    Note: you do NOT have to enter any user credentials in the Connection Profile.
    6) Once you have created a connection profile, you will see a summary of that profile underneath the phone drop-down box. If you need to modify this connection profile, right-click on the summary area and select 'Connection Settings'
    7) To connect to the Internet, Click on the Radio Tower icon in the lower left-hand corner of the Internet Connector stage.
    8) A dialog box will appear asking "To connect to the Internet, the mobile phone should first be disconnected. The task in progress will be stopped. Continue ?" with the options of Yes or No. Click Yes. Do Not disconnect your phone -- this question refers to dismounting the mass storage on your phone (and is really misleading in its wording). The SGH-T469W phone icon in the upper right-hand corner of the New PC Studio will disappear.
    9) The Internet Connector will proceed to dial, and if successful, will register your computer on the Wind network. Average connection speed is 3.6 Mbps.

Note: Internet Connection profiles -- If you have more than one USB port on your Windows computer, you will have to setup unique Internet Connection profiles for each USB port. Reason is that each time you plug your phone into a USB port, it creates a separate hardware profile for it. And the Internet Connection profile is bound to the hardware entry. For example, if you plug into one USB port, the Gravity 2 shows up as "Samsung Mobile Modem V2". If you plug it into another port, it shows up as "Samsung Mobile Modem V2 #2". And so on. When I created the Internet Connection profiles, I named each connection profile after each USB port -- USB 1, USB 2, etc.

Tried setting tethering via Bluetooth on my laptop, but the Bluetooth software I have on Windows XP is kind of flaky and kept dropping the connection to the Gravity 2. Could complete file transfers, but couldn't reliably connect to the Internet. I talked to a rep. at a Wind store who indicated he was able to setup tethering via Bluetooth on his Mac with no additional software.

Feedback Score
    Hi Krusty. I've looked everywhere for the software and the drivers. Can'y find them. I even conacted Samsung and they told me there weren't any drivers for the Gravity 2. Where did you get them? Can you provide the link?

Phone
    Samsung Gravity 2
    Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Try this link -- it's big (~122MB), and seems to include the necessary Windows drivers needed for the Gravity 2 (one driver for the modem, one for storage media in the phone). Prior versions didn't work, but this one worked for me.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co..._1.4.0.IL2.exe

Phones
    Blackberry Torch
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That's the most complex set-up I've ever seen and a thorough indictment of why Wind should be thoroughly ashamed of saying this device does tethering. I was told, with a straight face, that the phone indeed would tether, USB and Bluetooth. There is no sign of instructions at Wind; they don't sell the special Samsung cable; they don't offer the software for download.

The ONLY reason anyone would add data to this phone is to tether since the screen is so tiny it's pointless to use to surf with.

I dealt with a sales rep who otherwise seemed knowledgeable but gladly sold the phone, and the data plan, on the basis it would tether. More then eight weeks later, I am still waiting for a refund.

(The Samsung Gravity 2, itself, is a nice, simple quick message phone with an easy slide out and compact format.)
    Sorry about that, chief!

Phone
    Samsung Gravity 2
    Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So without any instructions, and using software that doesn't officially support the Gravity 2, and finding a cable that isn't officially sold by Wind, I managed to get tethering working.

Yes, the instructions are detailed but I included that level of detail to try and make it foolproof for anyone who wants to try it -- and document the problems that I personally encountered along the way, since Wind doesn't have an FAQ for something they don't officially support yet.

And per my original post, tethering via a Bluetooth on a Mac apparently requires no additional software.

Phones
    Blackberry Torch
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    And thanks for the details! Bravo!

But it is a painfully detailed proof that Wind has no business selling this phone with a data plan or under the premise that a typical customer can tether with it.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S II i9100
    Blackberry Curve 9300
    Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
    Carriers
    ROGERS
    SmarTone-Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Sticky Plz!
    Arr~

The Fastest and Most Reliable. Question-Mark?

Feedback Score
    Krusty - thanks so much for taking the time to post the detailed instructions - let me know if you are ever in Calgary and I'll buy you a drink!

Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoephone
    That's the most complex set-up I've ever seen and a thorough indictment of why Wind should be thoroughly ashamed of saying this device does tethering. I was told, with a straight face, that the phone indeed would tether, USB and Bluetooth. There is no sign of instructions at Wind; they don't sell the special Samsung cable; they don't offer the software for download.
    I went into the Wind Kiosk in Liberty Village. When I asked if Tethering was available on the Samsung, I was told no. This was a week ago though.

Phones
    HTC Magic
    HTC Dream
    Sony Ericsson M600i
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I don't get why Wind doesn't just put this **** on their website. How hard would it be to type this up and get people happy?

It certainly would be better than having that horrible forum that has more Rogers employees trolling than HoFo.

Feedback Score
    There is a simple way too.. i dont have gravity anymore and i dont remember exact steps.
    Basically what you can do is, create a dialup connection,
    Extra initialization commands field, type the following: +CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.windmobile.ca" ( have to doulbe check windmobile.ca part)
    In the Phone number field, type *99#
    leave username and pssword empty. I have tested and it works and it will work for any other phone as well.

Feedback Score

I can't tether my Samsung Gravity 2

I don't have Wind, but T-Mobile. I have tried to do as Krusty instructs, but when I plug in the USB cable to the computer and power up the phone, the phone says I need to insert a memory card. If I insert a memory card then repeat the procedure the phone will only give me a "connected" message and I can do nothing else with the phone. So I can't select the PC Studio on the phone. Can someone help?

Phone
    Samsung Gravity 2
    Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    @ccacc -- Is your Gravity 2 set to "Ask on connection" in the USB Mode setting ?

Menu --> Personalize --> Phone Settings --> USB Mode

That should get you the option to manage it using Samsung PC Studio.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the information, I got to the Widgets icon, but it will not let me click on the Internet Connector Icon. It says there is no device to connect to. My computer did install the driver, but I am afraid T Mobile has done something to the phone,in the US, to prevent connection. Thanks for all your help. If I am missing something please let me know. Thanks again.

Phone
    Samsung Gravity 2
    Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    @ccacc -- are you using the v1.4.0.IL2 of the Samsung New PC Studio software ?

That's the only version of NPS I've found that contains the proper serial modem driver for the Gravity 2. One quick question -- are you connecting via cable or Bluetooth (as I was never able to get tethering working via Bluetooth).

Here's my recommendation -- disconnect the Gravity 2 and then completely uninstall the NPS software and reboot. Then reinstall the software per the instructions above. I've got it to work on multiple systems following that checklist.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast