Thread: Need help Tethering BB9700 to Macbook pro

East Flatbush, Brooklyn/ Hampton, Georgia
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    At&t (I can't wait to switch back to Tmo)
    Feedback Score

Need help Tethering BB9700 to Macbook pro

Can someone please help me figure out how to tether my blackberry to my macbook pro. i'm clueless here.
    hofo
    /eBay

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Does DT Mgr. that works on a PC also have a similar version for Apple? If so, a version of DTM after 11/09 would have an icon on its home page to enable tethering simply by connecting your BB to your laptop.
    If not, there is, I believe, a 3rd party software that is available for both PC and Apple. I almost bought it until I learned it was now available on DTM. My trial version worked fine on PC. Forget the name, but I can find it, if you want.
    Cost was $30 or $50, can't recall.

...mike
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    6 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. 2G fast data on each line . $120/mo. + taxes. We have had no landline in more than 10 years.

Feedback Score

Its easy on a Mac!

Its easy...

1. Install the Blackberry Desktop for Mac if you haven't done it yet. You don't have to sync with it, you just want it installed so that all the appropriate drivers are installed
    2. Pair your phone to your Mac using Bluetooth.
    3. You'll get an error message "Bluetooth Setup Assistant can't set up your device as a dial-up modem because the Bluetooth interface isn't available.
    4. Open Network Preferences to add it." That's ok.
    5. Click continue.
    6. You'll get a screen that says pairing was completed successfully.
    7. Click on Quit
    8. Go into System Preferences
    9. Go into Network
    10. Click on the + on the lower left corner to add a network device
    11. Change interface to Bluetooth DUN
    12. You can change service name if you like, otherwise press Create
    13. Account name will be your phone number
    14. Password will be the password you use to access your T-Mobile account for that phone number
    15. Click on Apply
    16. Click on Advanced
    17. Click on Vendor and select Research In Motion
    18. Click on model and select the type of phone you have (you're on T-Mobile so it'll be Blackberry IP Modem (GSM))
    19. APN will be wap.voicestream.com
    20. Click on OK
    21. Click on Apply

That takes care of the configuration. Now to "dial out".
    1. Its easier if you have "Show Modem status in menu bar" ticked under network preferences (and you have Bluetooth DUN selected). If you don't, go to System Preferences
    2. Click on Networking
    3. Select Bluetooth DUN on the left
    4. Click on Connect that's on the right pane, about 1/2 way through the page

Surf the web and be happy!

FYI, the above instructions are for Snow Leopard. Leopard should be similar.

Good luck!

East Flatbush, Brooklyn/ Hampton, Georgia
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    At&t (I can't wait to switch back to Tmo)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by peetah
    Its easy...

1. Install the Blackberry Desktop for Mac if you haven't done it yet. You don't have to sync with it, you just want it installed so that all the appropriate drivers are installed
    3. You'll get an error message "Bluetooth Setup Assistant can't set up your device as a dial-up modem because the Bluetooth interface isn't available.
    5. Click continue.
    7. Click on Quit
    9. Go into Network
    14. Password will be the password you use to access your T-Mobile account for that phone number
    15. Click on Apply
    16. Click on Advanced
    18. Click on model and select the type of phone you have (you're on T-Mobile so it'll be Blackberry IP Modem (GSM))
    20. Click on OK
    21. Click on Apply

1. Its easier if you have "Show Modem status in menu bar" ticked under network preferences (and you have Bluetooth DUN selected). If you don't, go to System Preferences
    2. Click on Networking

Good luck!
    if you were a woman i'd kiss you and make sweet sweet love to you.

worked like a charm. thank you so much. what's your paypal account? I gotta send you a couple bucks.

on behalf of my mbp, my bold 9700, and my wife. we all thank you.

Feedback Score
    No worries! Glad I could help... I think

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This works great for BT, Thanks. I also want to tether with USB to take advantage of the 3g. I tried setting up with similar settings, and others from internet, but not working. Any suggestions? I had it working with total internet, but now I am on t-mobile blackberry internet plan.

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I got this working on USB. Weird though. I have to use the CDMA setting for the RIM phone and then change the phone number to *99# and the APN to wap.voicestream.com. It doesn't connect with the RIM GSM setting.

One problem is that the Modem "times out" if I leave the computer for an extended period. I wonder if there is a way to prevent this. My other 3g phone will tether indefinitely.

Also, there are TCP setting on the blackberry itself. I wonder if these have anything to do with tethering to the MAC. Right now I have the TCP setting on the phone set to wap.voicestream.com with no username or password.

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DuggaD
    I got this working on USB. Weird though. I have to use the CDMA setting for the RIM phone and then change the phone number to *99# and the APN to wap.voicestream.com. It doesn't connect with the RIM GSM setting.

One problem is that the Modem "times out" if I leave the computer for an extended period. I wonder if there is a way to prevent this. My other 3g phone will tether indefinitely.

Also, there are TCP setting on the blackberry itself. I wonder if these have anything to do with tethering to the MAC. Right now I have the TCP setting on the phone set to wap.voicestream.com with no username or password.
    Try changing your APN to "epc.tmobile.com" This is what I have on my 9700 and I was able to tether fine in Vegas this past weekend. Saved me from paying the $15/day internet fee from the hotel I was staying at.

Device(s)
    Samsung SGH-T999, Huawei Sonic 4G Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I can't speak for Mac OS X, but this has worked like a charm for me with multiple versions of Linux. According to the site, it is supposed to work with OS X.

Berry4All
    .:Rob Smith:.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999
    T-Mobile Sonic 4G Mobile Hotspot
    Acer Iconia A500 - Honeycomb 3.2
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Red

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    A little update... I am now tethering macbook pro via wifi on cradlepoint mbr1200connected to Bold 9700 since router firmware updated to 1.6.12 this week. I am getting better download speeds of 800mbps and don't have to mess with reconnecting everytime I wake-up or restart macbook. Using the GPRS log-in name/password and wap.voicestreram.com on 19.99 t-mobile BB Plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by peetah
    Its easy...

5. Click continue.
    7. Click on Quit
    9. Go into Network
    15. Click on Apply
    16. Click on Advanced
    20. Click on OK
    21. Click on Apply

2. Click on Networking

Good luck!
    Good show I requested this be Stickied

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    On the Tmobile website, in their forums there is an offical Tmobile complete guide to tethering, posted by Tmobile. It covers all Tmobile tethering capable phones.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8520, Unlocked HipTop Slide
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Can anybody confirm if these settings work if you're trying to share your UMA connection? My laptop refuses to connect to a Wi-Fi network but my BB 8520 works fine. Since you guys all have UMA devices, can you test it? I've been trying to use these settings but they don't work, but since I don't have access to a mobile network out here I can't test it over EDGE either.

I am using the epc.t-mobile.com APN because that's what the the device came with. I have Snow Leopard, and as I already said, an 8520 from T-Mobile.