Thread: Lost Minutes on Net 10 "Buy From Phone" System

Feedback Score

Lost Minutes on Net 10 "Buy From Phone" System

I recently signed up for the online system so I could buy minutes straight from my Net 10 Motorola EM326g. Was that ever a mistake. I had about 50 minutes on my phone a while after making my first "from phone" purchase. I turned the phone off before going to bed, turned it back on the next morning and there was no airtime display on the home screen. I checked the info and it read

Mintues - 00.0
    Due Date - 00/00/0

So, I bought 300 more mintues from my phone. Well, I had to turn my phone off two days ago ( I had 288 minutes) and when I turned it back on, the minutes were gone and the airtime displays were turned off. Yesterday, I bought another 300 mintues from my phone. I turned it off today, and the same thing happened. Everything else was fine. All of the pictures, saved games, everything was fine. The only problem was my airtime displays were turned off and I had no minutes. That's 650 minutes ($65). So, I bought a phone CARD at Wal-Mart and tried it. It worked. My mintues remained.

So, there is something wrong with the "buy from your phone" system. Interestingly enough, when I do add new mintues, the due date has saved. Like I still have until December 12, 2011 before I am due for more minutes. My minutes are just going somewhere when I buy from my phone and restart it.

I know what you're thinking, "DON'T TURN YOUR PHONE OFF!" My response to that is, I shouldn't have to worry wether or not my phone is on or off. It could be turned off accidentally and then I'd be out of minutes.

I called the 800 number to report the problem, but I was told the department I needed to speak with was close today (Sunday). I will call tomorrow and see if I can regain those minutes.

My advice - Don't risk it and lose 65 bucks like I did. Buy the phone cards at retailers and leave the online service alone for another 5 years until it's completely debugged.

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehardy07
    I recently signed up for the online system so I could buy minutes straight from my Net 10 Motorola EM326g. Was that ever a mistake. I had about 50 minutes on my phone a while after making my first "from phone" purchase. I turned the phone off before going to bed, turned it back on the next morning and there was no airtime display on the home screen. I checked the info and it read

Mintues - 00.0
    Due Date - 00/00/0

So, I bought 300 more mintues from my phone. Well, I had to turn my phone off two days ago ( I had 288 minutes) and when I turned it back on, the minutes were gone and the airtime displays were turned off. Yesterday, I bought another 300 mintues from my phone. I turned it off today, and the same thing happened. Everything else was fine. All of the pictures, saved games, everything was fine. The only problem was my airtime displays were turned off and I had no minutes. That's 650 minutes ($65). So, I bought a phone CARD at Wal-Mart and tried it. It worked. My mintues remained.

So, there is something wrong with the "buy from your phone" system. Interestingly enough, when I do add new mintues, the due date has saved. Like I still have until December 12, 2011 before I am due for more minutes. My minutes are just going somewhere when I buy from my phone and restart it.

I know what you're thinking, "DON'T TURN YOUR PHONE OFF!" My response to that is, I shouldn't have to worry wether or not my phone is on or off. It could be turned off accidentally and then I'd be out of minutes.

I called the 800 number to report the problem, but I was told the department I needed to speak with was close today (Sunday). I will call tomorrow and see if I can regain those minutes.

My advice - Don't risk it and lose 65 bucks like I did. Buy the phone cards at retailers and leave the online service alone for another 5 years until it's completely debugged.
    Well, when the phone (or their system) lost them the first time that should have thrown up a RED flag to you and not do it again 'till you check with ER to find out what they did with your minutes & service time!

Phones
    w370
    w376
    w170
    Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    once again , the 'definition of insanity'

sorry

Feedback Score
    If you have some kind of record of your purchases, it will be easier to get them to make good on them. You can probably get all your minutes and days back, but you'll likely have to go through some customer service hoops.

If you used a credit card, at the worst you can go through the process of filing a dispute and getting your money back.

Feedback Score
    Sorry you lost all that...

I've never bought/added minutes from my phone because I don't know how I'd have a record of it.

Not sure if this might be helpful, but this is how I do it (because I'm so leery of mishaps) and haven't lost anything yet:

1. Buy Airtime/Minutes online (no you don't have to register to do it).

2. Make a screen shot of the order/billing summary page (which has a transaction ID number),

Hit continue and

3. Make a screen shot of the transaction/activation page, that has new minute totals, new exp. date, (You could just print either page, I guess, but making a screen shot is pretty fast and painless).

4. Finally, when Net10 sends me the text saying I just added minutes, I lock the message - just in case. It's a shame that their CS is so weak that making such records seems a good idea. Still, it's pretty easy and quick to do.

I have almost 1800 minutes on my old Net10 phone (Motorola v176 - barely holding together) and I'm worried about transferring those minutes to a new T401G - I'm not sure it'll go well.

Hope you get your money back...
    Last edited by paperwing; 03-23-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: grammar, etc.
    my mom did not buy me this phone

Feedback Score
    The thing to do is go back in time and un-buy your 1800 minutes...

My strong advice to anyone is never to have more than a few hundred minutes on your Net10/Tracfone, unless you run through hundreds of minutes in no time.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EdGrey
    The thing to do is go back in time and un-buy your 1800 minutes...

My strong advice to anyone is never to have more than a few hundred minutes on your Net10/Tracfone, unless you run through hundreds of minutes in no time.
    It sure would be nice if Net10 offered some way to add days of service (reasonably priced) without minutes. People need a way to keep their minutes/days properly proportioned.

Feedback Score
    Before I realized how much Net10 loves to kill phones, I used to buy their phones on eBay with lots of days and few minutes, to do some "proper proportioning" by doing transfers to my own phone.

Phones
    w370
    w376
    w170
    Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EdGrey
    Before I realized how much Net10 loves to kill phones, I used to buy their phones on eBay with lots of days and few minutes, to do some "proper proportioning" by doing transfers to my own phone.
    EDGRAY....when you buy a fone on ebay,(trac or net10), do you have any problems adding cards? and for that matter , is it 'legal' to sell fones ...their terms of service prohibit that. Just wondering, not judging...

Feedback Score
    When I bought Net10 phones on eBay, I would transfer their accumulated service to another phone, because at the time the terms of service didn't say anything about transferring service. I never tried using a card with them. I haven't bought Net10 phones on eBay in a long time, and I've never had anything to do with Tracfone phones or service.

I wouldn't have a complaint if they had always spelled out exactly what was really allowed and what was not, but they didn't do it that way. I found out about service transfers when I lost a phone that I later found smashed in the street. CS had no problem transferring service to a working phone, and said nothing about the "free" minutes on the phone. Then I discovered the cheap package deals with LG300G phones combined with airtime cards. When I did a transfer from a working phone with some original minutes left, they never said a word. With other phones later, I got different stories, depending on who I was talking to. When I learned about doing online transfers, I never saw anything about any restrictions. (Even the 1100 minute limit could only be discovered through trial and error.) The online system never stopped me from transferring service to a fresh, unactivated phone. There was no distinction made between "free" minutes, transferred minutes, or minutes from a card.

Net10 laid out the playing field, and then they started planting mines and digging potholes that they covered with a thin layer of sod.

And then when I break a leg (figuratively), they tell me I did something "illegal." (!)

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Just a tip to people. Buy physical cards from Walmart, Target, or Best Buy. MUCH less chance of a headache no matter what carrier or MVNO you are with.