Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: why do people refer to babies in months and not years?

Phones
    galaxy s3
    galaxy s3
    Carriers
    the new brown (if we combine orange blue and now yellow) aka cingular!
    Feedback Score

why do people refer to babies in months and not years?

sometimes this grinds my gears i tell ya. "oh hes 20 months". really? by using that, i am 312 months old.

i never understood the logic behind using months instead of years for babies. This even applies to newborns and the term weeks. "oh!,he hes 12 weeks". really? so he's not 3 months old?

is it something women devised to get attention to themselves or what?

Carrier
    Rogers LTE RRU
    Feedback Score
    I would have to guess due to major milestones that babies reach, it's easier to express it in weeks/months vs years.

i.e. somehow it doesn't sound right "he started to walk when he was 0.9 years old"
    or
    he passed meconium 0.13 years after we left the hospital.

Feedback Score
    Did you ever say to someone "I'll be there in 0.042 days"? No, you probably said "I'll be there in an hour."

You use a smaller unit when you want more precision without the complication of fractions. Babies grow quickly, so the extra precision means something.

Feedback Score
    I agree with the OP to a degree. I think after 2 years of age, they should revert to years rather than months. Prior to that, they can use whatever it is they want.

I have the same peeves about time telling. Im a fan of precise time telling according to numbers. Meaning if its 1:15 you say "One Fifiteen" instead of Quarter past 1. I hate the "Quarter past", "Half Past" and "Quarter to xx".

Feedback Score
    Fractions aren't numbers?

Phone
    BB 9630 Tour
    Carriers
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    its still annoying. 6 weeks? how about month and half. 18 months? year and a half.

i think its meant to annoy men.
    -------------------------------------------
    Isriam
    Want 20GB of FREE storage? Much better than Dropbox with better software, service, and rules! +5GB for every referral you get! Click me

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 16GB
    3.1.2 JB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I went with weeks until 1 month, months until 1 1/2 years. Now I just use years and round to the nearest 1/2 year.

Feedback Score
    Agreed with above: Development/milestones for babies are better measured in weeks or months rather than fractions of a year.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 3G (In Pieces)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just say my son will be X in August. I look like a fool trying to figure out which number to round to lol.
    I don't subscribe to threads. If you've got something to say to me, PM.

Phone
    BB 9630 Tour
    Carriers
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    1 year 2 months is the same as 14 months. you don't say give me 168 oz of water, you say 1 gallon 2 quarts or whatever it breaks out to.

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Assimilated on Aug 7 1993
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

at 2 mine got counted in years unless someone asks 2+?. at 3 nobody asks anymore how many months.
    I bet most folks are using months for their 1st child. after 5 kids I dont count anything but birthdays.
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Phone
    Droid 4
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    How long have you had your phone or your latest toy ? 0 years ? I'd bet many of you use months or weeks to count down to something exciting? I guess people will complain about anything.

I also have never heard anyone say they are 0 years pregnant. Could there be a connection there?
    Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow

Phones
    galaxy s3
    galaxy s3
    Carriers
    the new brown (if we combine orange blue and now yellow) aka cingular!
    Feedback Score
    have you ever seen someone pregnant for a year? no. thats different

it would be asking me how long have i owned my razr and i said 20 months. sounds stupid imo. just round it to the closest in terms of years, and therefore iw ould say "about a year and a half".

Phone
    Droid 4
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Over a year I can see your point but less than a year or even a smidge over a year is more precise to use months. I also think this is a comparison/braggart parent thing , like my baby was such and such age when they started potty training and your big retarded kid is older and still wears diapers.

Would you rather get paid 12 dollar an hour (1 year) or about 18 (year and a half) or 20 dollars an hour.

I have 2 year old twin niece an nephew and if anyones asks I say 2 or they turned 2 on New Years Eve.

Phone
    BB 9630 Tour
    Carriers
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    would you say 18 months or a year and a half. cingtony you're not making a very good argument here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast