Thread: Better signal meter?

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Better signal meter?

I have the Touch Pro 2 on Verizon. The signal meter on the notification bar at top only shows 1X or 3G depending on whether 3G signal has been acquired or not. Does anyone know if there's a way to get a replacement signal meter that shows both 1X and 3G strengths at the same time, like most of Verizon's dumb phones?

Thanks,
    --Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1
    Watch me on YouTube: AlexKidd4Fun

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Assimilated on Aug 7 1993
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

that would be cool. I still dont understand mine. gray evdo/gray 1x/white evdo/white 1x/ signal meter constantly up and down but I rarely know which it is
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Carriers
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    I don't think so, but gray arrows means the data is connected but inactive, white means active.

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

thats what I mean the icons and bars change and change colors almost constantly. right now I have gray white bars and am on wifi.it only makes me curious when websites dont load. is it the network?the reception? the phone? the website? type curiosity while I await the blue line at the bottom to start moving

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBikerMark
    thats what I mean the icons and bars change and change colors almost constantly. right now I have gray white bars and am on wifi.it only makes me curious when websites dont load. is it the network?the reception? the phone? the website? type curiosity while I await the blue line at the bottom to start moving
    My understanding is as nitrous says. The bars themselves are always solid and indicate the strength of the signal to the left of it. For example, if you have a 3G signal (EV on some phones) then the bars to the right reflect the strength of 3G/EV only. The arrows above are either gray or white. When gray the data connection over 3G or 1X is idle. When they change white, that means data is transferring over the 3G/1X link. Whenever you turn on WiFi, the 1X/3G/EV square is replaced by the WiFi antenna icon with it's own set of white arrows. These never change color - when using WiFi, the arrows above the signal meter may occasionally flicker white for background things that only run over the radio like Exchange ActiveSync, but should stay predominently gray because the remaining data is being transmitted over WiFi and there's no activity indication for that.

The reason I posted was hoping someone knew of a way to get the signal strength for both 1X and 3G at the same time - I know the phone is technically connected to both, but it only shows 1X when it can't reach the second 3G connection.

Not a huge deal, just curious if someone knew. I can get the numbers by dialing ##DEBUG, but that's not nearly as handy.

--Kidd

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

thanks Alex. right now Im on wifi showing 1 gray bar but within 3' of the router. when I go to the settings it shows 4 bars of strength by the connected router
    like you said,just curious
    ##DEBUG thanks again. i can do the mobile speed test for speeds but as I wrote before when its sluggish my curiosity wonders phone,vzw network, or signal

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    thanks Alex. right now Im on wifi showing 1 gray bar but within 3' of the router. when I go to the settings it shows 4 bars of strength by the connected router
    Hey Mark - when connected to WiFi, the signal strength "bars" to the right of the WiFi logo continue to show your 3G or 1X strength. There's no indicator on the menu bar for WiFi strength.

To see WiFi signal meter, open the WiFi tool which you can access under the "Comm Manager" and then click right soft-key "Advanced" and "Wireless LAN". That gives WiFi strength.

like you said,just curious ##DEBUG thanks again.
    No problem.

i can do the mobile speed test for speeds but as I wrote before when its sluggish my curiosity wonders phone,vzw network, or signal
    Signal strength actually affects download/upload speeds far less than the available trunk bandwidth at the cell tower your connected to. I say this because the phone's radio senses how far away the cell tower is, and adjusts it's broadcast power higher to compensate for longer distances. Result is that phone battery life is reduced the further away you are from the tower, but call quality should be about the same regardless of what distance you are away. In my house, I usually have zero to one bar of 3G, while about two bars of 1X. Even at two bars, an extended phone conversation can really heat up the phone. I'd hate to be at zero bars of 1X!

--Kidd

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

whats it called "latency"? the time it takes for data to start moving. thats what I check when it lags.
    im a mile and a half from a tower but low lying with heavy foliage all around so its like being miles away on my battery. 1 bar of 1x is a good day here and Im 1-2 bars EVDO most days. thats why I wifi at home amap

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    whats it called "latency"? the time it takes for data to start moving. thats what I check when it lags.
    im a mile and a half from a tower but low lying with heavy foliage all around so its like being miles away on my battery. 1 bar of 1x is a good day here and Im 1-2 bars EVDO most days. thats why I wifi at home amap
    Latency is usually used for measuring Internet routes. Latency doesn't really apply to a cell signal to the best of my knowledge. The idea of creating a cell network involves placing towers every so many miles apart whereby the same radio frequency can be reused over-and-over by multiple phones. The cell towers are always close enough to any phone on the network that there's no significant delay in phone or data transmissions.

In a computer network, latency (also known as PING) measures the amount of time between sending a small piece of data to a remote machine and the that machine repeats the data back to your computer - the measurement is the time your computer is waiting for the data to start being received by your local computer.

--Kidd