Thread: How do you tell if your gsm phone is locked or unlocked?

Feedback Score

How do you tell if your gsm phone is locked or unlocked?

How do you tell if your gsm phone is locked or unlocked?

Let say you get a new sim from airvoice unactivated. You stick the sim in without activating it. Can you tell if your phone is locked? What would the message be if locked?

Phones
    HTC Mogul & TP
    Moto c290 & i425
    Nokia 6010 6600 6800a
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA Pre-Pay T-MO
    AirvoiceGSM LocusO2
    Feedback Score
    I believe that you usually get a sim error code message when a foreign-network or un-activated sim is placed in a locked GSM phone Gpatrick.

BTW I just placed a recently deactivated Cingular 3G sim in to an unlocked T-MO Nokia 6800a and it booted up just fine when turned on. However, when I tried to place a call I got a "sim error" message. Some phones will system will not boot up at all if the correct networks sim is not installed before power-up...

Try a friends activated T-MO sim and another friends activated (non-phone sim locked) At&t sim and see if both networks are available from your phone. If both are your phone is unlocked...
    Saving the free world with one pre-pay simcard at a time...
    Sprint/Boost CDMA is like a box of chocolates... you don't know what is in the center until you bite down hard.

Phone
    Samsung Captivate, Samsung Mythic
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    If putting a foreign SIM in a phone that is locked, it will either say "Enter Subsidy Unlock Code, Wrong SIM, SIM Error," or some other message. If it isn't locked, then it will continue to go to the home screen like it would if it had the carrier provided SIM.

An un-activated SIM would either get "No Service, or some other message. A previously activated SIM that is deactivated would say " No Service, Emergency Calls Only" and some show an icon with a phone with a slash across it and some show reception bars that are greyed out.

If you don't have a foreign SIM to check with, depending on the phone manufacturer, some have a secret code or toggle combination that displays if the phone is subsidy locked or unlocked.

On some GSM Samsungs, typing *#7465625# displays the locks that are enabled/disabled.

From another thread titled GSM Phone unlocking FAQ Post #7 discusses how to do it on some SonyEricssons to display the phone locks enabled/disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralAK
    OK,
    In ericsson Handsets press the following key sequence:
    > * < < * < *

The > means right arrow
    and < means left arrow

Now this reveals a "secret" service menu.

When you are here, navigate your way to where it says SIMlock (in my phone this option is under the "Services info" selection) and select it. Now, the "Network" will show a locked padlock icon next to it if your phone is locked.

Select "network" (if it's locked it's selectable) and you will be asked for a code. Here is where you input the code that your provider has given you.

CAUTION!!!!!!

If you enter the wrong code multiple times (I think 3 times, but I am not sure since it's been a while since I unlocked my phone) your phone will be LOCKED FOREVER!!!!!! (the only way to unlock it will be by flashing it!)
    If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mango808
    On some GSM Samsungs, typing *#7465625# displays the locks that are enabled/disabled.
    Hi Mango808.

Type in *#7465625# from where? Where are you in the menu sequence when you type it in? Also, did you mean *#7465625# or *#7465625#* (trailing *)?

Thanks.

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You type codes like these at the idle screen, as if directly dialing a phone number. On some phones you need to press SEND afterward (which will open the hidden menu, not make a call). On others the menu will appear immediately after pressing the last # in the code.

Phone
    Samsung Captivate, Samsung Mythic
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani
    Hi Mango808.

Type in *#7465625# from where? Where are you in the menu sequence when you type it in? Also, did you mean *#7465625# or *#7465625#* (trailing *)?

Thanks.
    Type it just as you would a phone number at the home screen.

No trailing *.

As mentioned pressing the last code # would bring up the request directly from the phone. Unlike the *646# then Send which requires the phone to send the code to the network for the results from the network to send to you.

And as I mentioned, it will work with some GSM Samsungs not all so if after pressing the last # nothing happens, then the code doesn't work with that Samsung model. I know my SGH-d807 and SGH-P207 doesn't work with that code. On my SGH-i607 BlackJack and SGH-i617 BlackJack II, after pressing the 5 the Lock Status Information screen comes up so no need for the last #.