Thread: Verizon Contract up next month how do I switch

Phones
    Droid X
    Motorola Droid X
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Verizon Contract up next month how do I switch

I have a LG phone with Verizon Wireless and my contract is up on the 6th of April. I want to switch to PP, use my current phone and keep my number.
    Is it as easy as giving PP the ESN number and asking them to port my number or is it more complicated then that?

Thanks,
    Mark

Phones
    LG Rumor2 PagePlus
    Samsung Exclaim Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Its basically that easy. You will also need your account number and the password on your account. IF you never set one up, its the last 4 of your phone number.

What they will do is port your phone to a dummy esn, and then back to your phone. Once its done you dial *22890 and you will be all set!

Just make sure when you apply a PLAN PIN i.e. TnT or UTnT that your phone is OFF.

Phone
    Kyocera 2325
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The following thread titled "My Experience" by junkthrow may be helpful:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1624846

Phone
    MotoRAZR2 v9m on PagePlus
    Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    How do I begin getting setup on PagePlus Cellular?

This page is designed to be informative & thorough. If you are new to PPC,
    reading this once for the first time will help you incredibly.

STEP 1: You need a CDMA phone to activate.

Typically "CDMA" Wireless pre-owned certified handsets will be eligible for activation on the PagePlus network, for voice dialing and standard text messaging. Due to the software loaded into the handsets, PagePlus will not guarantee that the advanced features such as picture messaging, Data services, and BREW will work correctly on the device.

For best results, please use a PagePlus approved handset. A tri-mode or dual band phone will be best as these phones are able to use both regular cellular networks and PCS networks.

If you are porting over from Verizon, you can bring your current Verizon Post-Paid device with you. Please understand that porting from Verizon will cause you to get charged an Early Termination Fee if you are still under contract.

If you have any questions about whether your chosen phone has a "clear/clean esn", you should get a FREE ESN CHECK done by a dealer on these boards.

Currently Unsupported Phones

New Retail-Packed Prepaid Devices
    (manufactured for another "big" pre-paid network!)

All Blackberry Devices
    All Palm Treo Devices
    HTC Touch
    HTC VX5800
    Audiovox PPC-6700
    UTStarcom XV6700
    UTStarcom XV6800

STEP 2: Make a decision - do you want a NEW NUMBER or do you want to PORT a number in?

You need to decide if you are going to want a NEW PHONE NUMBER from PagePlus or if you want to PORT a phone number into PagePlus from another carrier.

If you want to get a new phone number, then you want to order a NEW ACTIVATION from PPC or from another line dealer.

If you want to port a number in, then you want to START A NEW PORT through PPC or through another online dealer.

STEP 3: Pick a plan and purchase a PIN.

Once you have gotten your phone picked out, activated it with a new number or ported your existing number in from another carrier, you need to pick a plan.

All phones by default when activated start on the Standard Plan, which is also called the Pay-As-You-Go Plan. All new phones will receive a $6.00 Activation Credit for you to try out the service when you start free for 60 minutes or 75 text messages!

Standard Plan Minutes range from 4 cents to 10 cents per minute, depending
    upon the denomination of the refill card that you choose to purchase.

By far, two of our most popular plans are the:

Unlimited Talk & Text Plan for $39.95/mo
    and the
    Talk n Text 1200 Plan for $29.95/mo

I hope this helps you in getting started with PagePlus Cellular. Another suggestion that I like to throw out to people is this: You may wish to get to know, and establish a relationship with, an online dealer. Sometimes PPC can be very hard to reach and, therefore, by having a dealer "on your side" and "familiar with your needs", you can avoid a lot of frustration by contacting your dealer instead of PPC directly.

Good luck!

Thanks,
    Kitty

Phone
    Kyocera 2325
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Mark,

I would suggest you call Verizon and have them confirm the day that you must do the port, so that you avoid paying both the Early Termination Fee (ETF) and for an extra month of sevice.

My understanding is that Verizon does not prorate either the ETF or month of service.

Also try to find out if you initially paid for a month in advance.

Maybe you could get a refund.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleAndy
    Mark,
    Also try to find out if you initially paid for a month in advance.
    You might want to talk to a supervisor about this before you do anything. I called twice in advance and they told me I would get a month refund. When I actually switched out, they changed their tune.

Carrier
    Verizon postpaid
    Feedback Score
    Don't expect any kind of refund from VZW. They don't pro-rate their service charges.

As far as pro-rating of the ETF, I thought that was pretty much a done deal--ETFs start at $175 and go down $5 per month of active service, reaching a minimum of $60 ($350 - $10/mo for smartphones, minimum of $120). The other comment is that your contract date and monthly billing cycle date may not coincide, so you may have time between your contract expiration and next billing date.

It's been posted here before (but I cannot confirm) that if you port exactly on your contract expiration date that you will NOT be responsible for an ETF.

Some people, who have truly postpaid accounts (e.g., a bill dated March 7 includes the monthly charge for service from Feb 7 - Mar 6), have been able to port out after the billing cycle end date without getting hit for another month's service. In other words, if they port out on Mar 9, they'd get a final 'courtesy bill' from Verizon indicating that they were not being charged for those 2 days of service. YMMV. I wouldn't count on receiving that. It's worth downloading your latest bill to confirm how VZW bills you (meaning, whether your March bill covers Feb - Mar charges or Mar - Apr charges), but IMO it's always best to port near the end of your billing cycle so that if you get no refund, you're not left short-changed.

As for the process, you will need to give PPC your mobile phone#, your VZW account number (mine is in this format: xxxxxxxxx-xxxxx), and your billing password. I thought the default billing password was the last 4 of your SSN or Tax ID Number if you hadn't changed it (not last 4 of phone#). Regardless, your billing password can be changed/created in your 'My Verizon' portal under the 'My Profile' tab/link. I'd recommend that you either confirm or set/change your billing password at least a day before porting so you're sure of what it is.

Finally, I would recommend that you have a dealer process the port for you. This recommendation is based on my experience doing a simple activation--I ultimately had to call CS to get everything working. (This was before I had read much here about dealers.) It wasn't a big deal, but I'd have been more worried about it if the problems occurred around porting a number I wanted to maintain. (It also never hurts to support the dealers who give so much of their time here to support us!)

Phones
    Moto Razr V3M
    Samsung Omnia i910
    Carriers
    PP
    Feedback Score
    The other posters have provided good information. From my personal experience, my password was picked by me and I knew what that was. A friend of mine who moved to page plus yesterday, did not know what her password was and calling verizon was no help. We ended up using last 4 digits of SSN and the port went through just fine.

As far as the end of contract. If you login to your verizon profile, it should say when the contract expries. In my case it said expires on March 3, 2010. When I logged into the website on March 3 morning, it said I was month to month. I also contacted the customer service and the rep confirmed (after trying to coax me into not switching carriers) that I was good as of that morning. She also confirmed that the port must be COMPLETED that day, otherwise verizon would charge me for the full next month.

I would second the idea of using a reseller. I am sure they are all good but Kitty Wireless has excellent customer service. I used them for two phones of my own and my friend I helped yesterday also used Kitty.

Good luck and enjoy the savings.

Phones
    Droid X
    Motorola Droid X
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the advice. I know my contract ends 4/6/10 and I was going to to wait until the weekend, but hearing about the full month charge I will probably do it that day, once I confirm I am good, or wait until the following month is almost up.

Thanks,
    Mark