Thread: 50 mb data plan - how much usage for email?

Phones
    iPhone 4
    HTC Touch WM6.5 + SPB MS3
    Blackberry Pearl
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score

50 mb data plan - how much usage for email?

Just wondering from people on data now how much 50 mb realistically comes out to for data usage? Was looking at the $15/50 mb plan which is tiny and significantly more expensive than the 500mb plan but I just don't see myself using that much data. I basically don't surf and am really just looking to use data to check email on a winmo phone. Is 50mb/month enough for that, or am I better off getting the unlimited email/bbm for $15/month? Thanks in advance for any opinions on this!

^ Flash version here!
    Check out my feedback here...

Phones
    Blackberry Torch
    iPhone 5 16gb
    iPhone 4S 32gb
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Tour 9630: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

On a WinMo phone, I don't think 50mb would be enough depending on the volume of emails you get and if you plan on downloading attachments. I think it would also depend on the type of email you are using (push or pull), to determine the amount of overhead is involved. I know I wouldn't be comfortable taking the chance on a WinMo phone with that small amount of data.

My New Rogers Plan
    - $35 Unlimited Local Calling Plan
    - $30 6GB Data
    - $10 Retention Value Pack - Free (2500 texts, CID, VM)
    - 100 mins LD - Free
    - $67 + tax

Bite me Telus.

Phones
    Motorola Milestone
    Nokia N97 Mini (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I have an Android phone with push turned on on 2 email accounts (Gmail and Exchange), and it eats up 5MB/day usually. If you're a corporate user (I'm not), you'll probably use up more than that.

I don't think 50MB is enough for any smartphone these days... maybe for BB with data compression, it may be just enough. But for WM or other platforms, it certainly isn't enough!

Phone
    BB Storm OS 5.xx
    Carriers
    Telus
    7-11 Speak Out
    Feedback Score
    As noted, it depends how you use it...

I use a Blackberry at work and have a 30MB dataplan attached to it and in 2 years have never gone over the 30 MB base amount. I use it as an email only device...

I use a Blackberry at home, personal, for email, weather and various toy programs and every month I am around 150MB... I have a 500 MB plan so I am no where near the limits on it.

I played with my wife's WM device and ran up 200 MB using HPDA without even trying over a weekend...

What device are you going to use and for what are the first questions to ask before how much can be suggested...

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    on a BB, with very light usage, you could get by with 50mb a month.

on any other phone, no way.

Feedback Score
    He might and i say might be able to get by with 50 mb on windows mobile if he sets outlook to not download the attachments or full email and only the first 2 lines of every email that he gets to help compress some of the data.But downloading the full each and every email he gets 50mb is defiantly not gonna do anything for him
    Help to keep the HoFo community in harmony...... REPORT PROBLEMATIC POSTS to us by using report a post

Feedback Score
    You mentioned using 50 MB for a Windows Mobile phone but then mention going for the $15 Unlimited Email/BBM.

The 50 MB option is not available for BlackBerry's and there is no longer an option for non-BlackBerry's to get unlimited email/IM

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Tour 9630: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.419 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

When I used to have the $25/4MB plan on my Treo I could only check my email once a week and I was at the limit. I was going to cancel the data plan and then the lovely $15 unlimited promo came around.

Phones
    Blackberry Torch
    iPhone 5 16gb
    iPhone 4S 32gb
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Tour 9630: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane
    Wirelessly posted (BB Tour 9630: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.419 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

When I used to have the $25/4MB plan on my Treo I could only check my email once a week and I was at the limit. I was going to cancel the data plan and then the lovely $15 unlimited promo came around.
    I remember those days and was going to do the same thing when I realized there was a loophole to get unlimited data back then. Whenever you signed up for a dataplan, the system would give you a 3 month promo of unlimited data. However, this was also true if you switched from one dataplan to another. So I would just switch from one dataplan to another every 3 months. I believe Riley did the same thing until the $15 plan came along.

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by joop88
    I remember those days and was going to do the same thing when I realized there was a loophole to get unlimited data back then. Whenever you signed up for a dataplan, the system would give you a 3 month promo of unlimited data. However, this was also true if you switched from one dataplan to another. So I would just switch from one dataplan to another every 3 months. I believe Riley did the same thing until the $15 plan came along.
    Clever! I remember hearing about this, but not until after I already got the $15 plan.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    HTC Touch WM6.5 + SPB MS3
    Blackberry Pearl
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies, that's definitely helpful. Sorry I should have clarified that I was considering adding either the 50mb data plan to my current windows mobile phone (stick to the winmo platform) or switch to a blackberry and get the unlimited email/bbm. I won't be surfing on my phone, just email, but since 50mb won't be enough clearly I should switch to a blackberry!