Thread: Recovering Deleted Text Messages - Can it be Done ?

Feedback Score

Recovering Deleted Text Messages - Can it be Done ?

There are a few text messages that I have sent & received in the past 4 months - most of them are international text messages ( both sent & received )...after receiving & sending them I have deleted them from my phone ( Fido Branded Phone ) .

Is there anyway I can recover these deleted text messages as I need them for some important work .

I spoke to a FIDO rep over the phone he told me that I could recover these deleted text messages by logging on to my FIDO account online - I am not sure what he meant by that as I don't see anything online where I can see a history of the past deleted text messages .

I was told by a few people that even if I deleted the text messages they will still be stored on my SIM card in some format & I can recover them by extracting them from my SIM - using some kind of software - Is it true ?

Also I am assuming for a charge ( which should be pretty expensive ) , FIDO can probably recover these text messages ( history ) from their server if I ask them..If at all this is possible is there anyway I can find out how much this service will cost to say recover about 50 messages sent in the last 4 months .

TIA

Carriers
    Fido
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Are you asking for the numbers that you sent too OR the info on these messages?

If your asking for the numbers that you sent too, you can call customer service and CSR will provide you this info over the phone as long as that info was within the last 90 days. The CSR will not provided you info from unbilled calls/sms.

As for the numbers you received from, it's not possible to provide you this info due to Canadian privacy laws. However, if you are able to get court order subpoena issued by a judge, Fido will provide anything you need.

If your asking for the info on these messages, forget it. The only way fido will provide you this info if you submit a court order subpoena to

Fido Solutions Inc.
    Legal Department
    1200 avenue McGill College
    Suite 800
    Montreal, Quebec
    H3B 4G7

If you have the numbers of these sms, why don't you just call them and get this info again?

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FidoSeniorAgent
    As for the numbers you received from, it's not possible to provide you this info due to Canadian privacy laws.
    Not to doubt you but certain detailed billing from some accounts actually show the incoming numbers (in Canada). In the company that I used to work for, they actually received the incoming numbers that I received on my cellphone. When I saw the statement/bill, I was surprised to see the incoming number but it was there. In fact, I believe that I still have a copy of the statement/bill which I show some of my friends who don't believe me that certain accounts with certain carriers actually do get the incoming numbers on the detailed billing.

Also, I find the "Canadian privacy laws" argument silly since if a person has call display, they already see the number (unless the caller blocks it). It reminds me of the argument that VirginMobile used in the episode on the worst Canadian cellphone bill.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

Bell (tablet plan): LG Nexus-4

My Tech Blog

Feedback Score
    Are you asking for the numbers that you sent too OR the info on these messages?

If you have the numbers of these sms, why don't you just call them and get this info again?
    Actually I wanted both the nos & the info in these messages..but the court order & all the other things is too complicated/expensive so I won't bother .

The reason I can't call them and ask for the info again is because I want the text messages with the time & date stamped on the day I received them...if they send it to me again it will have today's date & time . I want to show for some legal/technical reasons that the info I sent or received from them was done a few months back hence the date/time has to be for the day when the correspondence actually occured .

Carriers
    Fido
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bensoncv14
    but the court order & all the other things is too complicated/expensive so I won't bother .

I want to show for some legal/technical reasons that the info I sent or received from them was done a few months back hence the date/time has to be for the day when the correspondence actually occured .

Actually it's not expensive. You just go to your local Court house, you fill out some paper work(Free), you see a Judge on duty(Free). Explain to the Judge that you need to issue a subpoena requesting Fido hand over this info for Incoming call(numbers) and SMS(numbers) and the content of sent and received sms during a specific time period.

The Judge will ask you why you need this?

You tell them that your defending yourself in Criminal trial case(you provide the Judge your case# and what you are charged for)
    You would tell the Judge that the other party is saying some things which is untrue and the info provided from these sms or calls will make you victorious in this case. NO JUDGE will deny you this request. The judge will sign the subpoena and stamp it with his rubber stamp.(Still Free)

You hire a bailiff($$) who would go to Fido Legal office and issue the subpoena. Someone from Fido Corporate security dept will contact you the next business day inquiring on when you need this info, the location of court house and the time.

An agent from Corporate security dept will show up to your trial(Free) and will only show you this info when requested by the presiding Judge. The other party may object to this info from being released, but presiding Judge will make the Final decision. Enjoy.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I don't doubt you actually need this info for work but the first thing that popped into my head was to see if your spouse/significant other is cheating on you.
    Generic signature text.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I'm thinking content of sms is not kept beyond 72 hours... I'd have to double check on that though.
    It's all fun and game until someone gets hurt... then it's hilarious.

Feedback Score
    sorry dude but checking a customer's actual txt content violates privacy laws and have therefore been made impossible the system will only know when, from what phone, and from which sim card it was sent and to whom the actual txt deosnt show up

Phone
    Carrier
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    As for the numbers you received from, it's not possible to provide you this info due to Canadian privacy laws.
    I've heard this from Rag CSR's too, and IMO it's bunk.

AIUI:
    - phone numbers, with no other associated info attached to them, are not "personal information" as defined by PIPEDA and thus garner no PIPEDA protections
    - furthermore, by calling a phone number, you, the caller, lose all right to claim that info (ph num of originating caller, 411-listing for that line) is private
    - consider that prefixing a landline call with *67 to block your CID: if you're dialing an 8xx number, this CID-block is completely ignored by the terminating LEC and the caller's 'CID' will be provided in addition to the ANI of the caller
    - If such ph num info were info that had to be protected (from the cx's knowing them) then certainly Fido would not provide it at the time the call arrived via CID (and optionally, Name) - IOW Fido cannot give the info to the cx one day, but say the next that they can't because of privacy reg's.

Feedback Score

An agent from Corporate security dept will show up to your trial(Free) and will only show you this info when requested by the presiding Judge. The other party may object to this info from being released, but presiding Judge will make the Final decision. Enjoy.

And the SMS's will be tossed out because the person you are suing did not get a chance to view the evidence before the trial which is required in our court system.

Feedback Score
    As we know, every time you sync iDevice with iTunes, it will automatically make a backup of your iDevice contents including photos, SMS, reminders, contacts and more. Therefore, as long as you have ever synced your iPhone with iTunes, you can get the lost messages from iPhone backup files created by iTunes.
    Do not connect your iPhone to iTunes again until the messages are recovered. Otherwise, the old backup file will be overwritten by the current content on your iPhone. Once it happens, the deleted messages will be gone forever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by callylioop View Post
    As we know, every time you sync iDevice with iTunes, it will automatically make a backup of your iDevice contents including photos, SMS, reminders, contacts and more. Therefore, as long as you have ever synced your iPhone with iTunes, you can get the lost messages from iPhone backup files created by iTunes.
    Do not connect your iPhone to iTunes again until the messages are recovered. Otherwise, the old backup file will be overwritten by the current content on your iPhone. Once it happens, the deleted messages will be gone forever.
    You are over 3 years late lol

Phones
    Moto X
    Q10
    Carriers
    Fido Solutions
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OP_POP View Post
    You are over 3 years late lol
    This can be easily avoided nowadays...tons of free SMS backup apps for the major platforms, or you could just enter an email address into the "copy" function on Fido's free Extreme Text Messaging feature so you'll always have all your texts in an email folder.

Personal phone: FIDO $56 unlimited Smart plan w/2GB LTE MAX ($10/GB overage)
    Business phone: FIDO $55 unlimited Standard plan w/5GB LTE MAX (2 x 10% discounts = $44.55, $10/GB overage)
    Laptop/desktop: WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB soft cap)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.