Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Michigan?

Feedback Score

Northern Michigan?

So I know a month or so ago, AT&T issued press releases about investing more in their network in Michigan this year. I live in West Branch, Michigan, and I was wondering if that means anything for us? I'd love to have 3G up here, but assuming that's still a long way off. However, does anyone know if they'll be upgrading the Edge network up here? It's good in town, but sucks throughout the rest of Ogemaw County. I know AT&T bought Centennial Wireless, and I'm not sure how that transition will effect us.

Can anyone offer any insight on this? Any improvement would be good. With rumors of the iPhone coming to Verizon, I'd really rather stay on AT&T, but Big Red's network is so much better up here. Everywhere else, I'm a big fan of AT&T.
    Last edited by Eric8199; 03-31-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't really call West Branch 'Northern Michigan', but I guess that's technically anything past Bay City. I was expecting something like Petoskey, Charlevoix, Cheboygan or Mackinaw City to be Northern Michigan (or anything in the UP).
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric8199
    So I know a month or so ago, AT&T issued press releases about investing more in their network in Michigan this year. I live in West Branch, Michigan, and I was wondering if that means anything for us? I'd love to have 3G up here, but assuming that's still a long way off. However, does anyone know if they'll be upgrading the Edge network up here? It's good in town, but sucks throughout the rest of Ogemaw County. I know AT&T bought Centennial Wireless, and I'm not sure how that transition will effect us.

Can anyone offer any insight on this? Any improvement would be good. With rumors of the iPhone coming to Verizon, I'd really rather stay on AT&T, but Big Red's network is so much better up here. Everywhere else, I'm a big fan of AT&T.
    I doubt AT&T will even touch anything in that area. It's not urban enough. I'm from the Thumb and we were transitioned over from Dobson over 2 years ago and they have done absolutely nothing to improve coverage in our area, even 2G wise. I don't foresee 3G coming to us for another year or more.

AT&T is probably going to focus this year in Michigan by merging the Centennial network with it's own, launching 3G in Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Benton Harbor, Port Huron, Monroe, and other areas around metro Detroit. All of the areas that were former Dobson areas are pretty much rural and are going to be left out, I can almost guarantee it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I would tend to agree.

'When' 3G makes its way to northern Michigan (including the UP), I would expect that places like Mackinaw City / Mackinac Island / St. Ignace, Sault Ste. Marie and a few others to be on the list. I don't expect it to happen for a while though. It would be rather 'quick' in most of those northern areas, as there are only a few sites, and a lot of spectrum available.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I'd bet it would take awhile too, definitely. But it would be unfair to think AT&T is neglecting Dobson areas. They've done a good job bringing 3G to Traverse City and Mount Pleasant, and they've upgraded parts of the 2G network in NW Michigan capacity-wise. Let's hope they keep it up.

Feedback Score
    I know we have Centenial towers up here though, because we had Centenial stores until the merger. So, are there enough of their poor coverage to merge with AT&Ts poor coverage to create ok coverage?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    The current coverage maps have the acquired Centennial towers' coverage on them. No idea if it's actually been integrated yet though. I remember last time I was up north my phone was more apt to jump over to 310-30 (Centennial's network) than it was in the past.

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Not integrated yet. I've noticed that my Iphone will somtimes get stuck on the old centennial network for an hour, even though there is plenty of AT&T signal....this is after my switches over when AT&T drops out in some places inside buildings.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would really hope for ATT to get 3G in a lot of areas it got from centennial. Honestly one thing I really don't like about ATT is they do not like to play good in rural areas. I really feel like rural areas need attention too and would be good money for ATT too.

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I have an iPhone. How do I tell whether I'm on Centenial or AT&T's towers? I don't have data roaming on. Should I?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric8199
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I have an iPhone. How do I tell whether I'm on Centenial or AT&T's towers? I don't have data roaming on. Should I?
    To check which network you're on: Go to the phone app, specifically the dialpad, then dial *3001#12345#*, then hit call. Tap MM Info, then Serving PLMN, then put together Mobile Country Code (it'll be 310) and Mobile Network Code. AT&T is 310-410, Centennial is 310-30. You shouldn't see anything else while in Michigan.

I personally would turn on data roaming, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to use any data on Centennial's network until it's integrated. You won't be charged for roaming or hit any roaming caps while on Centennial anymore, so it's safe. And there are actually no roaming providers in Michigan anymore as far is I know, so I wouldn't worry about being off-network.

And just in case you're interested, I'm in Roscommon Co. this weekend and the Centennial coverage is a marked improvement, particularly for in-building coverage and spots on the north shore of Houghton Lake. It's too bad the phone doesn't prefer the stronger signal yet (it won't until integration). Anyway, hope it helps you all next door in W. Branch!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I remember being on Centennial around West Branch on my previous I-75 treks between Detroit and Sault Ste. Marie.
    It was actually interesting to be on AT&T (310-410 I think) in Sault Ste. Marie, MI and in St. Josephs Island, Canada, but south of there, it showed as Dobson and Centennial until I was near Bay City area.

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't think the data roaming switch will have any effect on whether you can use data on the former centennial network or not...I haven't seen it make any difference anyways.

Device(s)
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have a Nexus One (and a Samsung a137 + Nokia 2660)... how can I check to see what towers I'm using?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I live in Northern MI and I guess one downfall of living in a less populated area would be the tech advances are slow to arrive.

Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast