Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1038

Thread: Northern Michigan?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S6, iPad Mini 3
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The site in Pigeon received LTE today - a single 5MHz B5 carrier. That leaves only four sites left in the thumb without LTE - Cass City, Akron, Forestville, and the site just south of Caseville. All four of these are scheduled to get LTE this summer.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    The site in Pigeon received LTE today - a single 5MHz B5 carrier. That leaves only four sites left in the thumb without LTE - Cass City, Akron, Forestville, and the site just south of Caseville. All four of these are scheduled to get LTE this summer.
    Any word on the site along M-68 right by the M-33 junction? Looks like that one is still on HSPA+ only.
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TWX View Post
    Any word on the site along M-68 right by the M-33 junction? Looks like that one is still on HSPA+ only.
    My info is unclear. I think maybe this year, but could possibly not happen until next year.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Took a ride up north last night. The tower in Sterling (I-75 exit 195) is now LTE providing consistent coverage now from Standish to Alger. The sites in Waters and Gaylord received a lot of love First time I've seen B2 on 20 MHz here.

Attachment 151471

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The site in Sandusky finally received a second LTE carrier earlier this week. I believe it is a 15MHz B2 carrier, but haven't been able to confirm that.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    The site in Sandusky finally received a second LTE carrier earlier this week. I believe it is a 15MHz B2 carrier, but haven't been able to confirm that.
    I will check this weekend.

Now Gaylord is running 20 MHz B2, 10 MHz B30 and 12. Is 10x10 B4 still active on that site just north of OMH? Because when I was there, I toggled Airplane Mode several times but my S8 would only connect to 30, 12, and 2. Just wondered if that was shut down.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    I will check this weekend.

Now Gaylord is running 20 MHz B2, 10 MHz B30 and 12. Is 10x10 B4 still active on that site just north of OMH? Because when I was there, I toggled Airplane Mode several times but my S8 would only connect to 30, 12, and 2. Just wondered if that was shut down.
    The AWS carrier is still active on that site. Not sure why you weren't picking it up.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Yes Sir! And then some!

From the Walmart in Sandusky:

Attachment 151612
    Attachment 151613

Attachment 151614
    Attachment 151615
    Last edited by 10mm; 05-28-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ah, cool! So this site is now running 25MHz of DL bandwidth. B5 (5MHz) + B2 (15MHz) + B2 (5MHz). Too bad AT&T doesn't have 20MHz of contiguous spectrum there, but this is better than adding just 15MHz of B2.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Ah, cool! So this site is now running 25MHz of DL bandwidth. B5 (5MHz) + B2 (15MHz) + B2 (5MHz). Too bad AT&T doesn't have 20MHz of contiguous spectrum there, but this is better than adding just 15MHz of B2.
    I wonder if the site is actually running 3x CA utilizing intra-band (2+2+5)? If so, the S8 doesn't support that combo yet. Mine was camped on the 5 MHz carrier further away and 15 close to the site.

Edit. Not sure if AT&T has UMTS on PCS totally shut down on in Sanilac County, but I believe they own another 5 MHz chunk of C block which is contiguous with the current 5x5 B2 LTE carrier which would allow them to widen it to 10x10.
    Last edited by 10mm; 05-29-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    No 3x CA on the Sandusky site yet. I forgot to mention while on my last trip up to the Thumb area, I stumbled across another site running UMTS only......no LTE. It's along 136 east of Brockway near the Greenwood Energy Center. Speeds indicate the site is on Enet though

They did unleash the beast in Atlanta, Michigan as well. 20 MHz of B2 + B12.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    The site just SW of Bad Axe and the one at Huron Line and S Bad Axe roads are running a second LTE carrier. B2 15x15. Surprisingly enough, the water tank site in town is still only 5x5 B5. Slow speeds on the north end of town. Akron and Bay Port are still UMTS. No LTE panels yet on the Akron site.

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are there any upgrades expected for Cheboygan county--specifically around Long Lake? It still hasn't recovered from the GSM (2G) shutdown. Phones show 2 bars of HSPA but getting a call to complete is a crapshoot. Incoming calls won't ring. 2G calls were consistently reliable before the shutdown. LTE is at best -119dbm but usually -120dbm or worse.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The site in Akron got LTE yesterday. A single 5Mhz B5 carrier, but better than no LTE at all. I'm sure a second carrier will come in the future.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Hopefully somebody sees this, as this forum is kind of dead, but it's definitely Northern Michigan. Before I talk about Northern, I will say that on my way back down, I hit my all time records for my S7 and an S8+ of 118mbps and 137mbps, which was pretty impressive. Over the weekend, I was up in Charlevoix and Petoskey, which are a lot better now that B4 has been activated, as B5 was getting pretty congested. The speeds weren't impressive, but the service was pretty reliable, which was good, as it was the only internet access we had for several days. My grandmother uses it now for her internet at her summer place on the lake, as there is no DSL or cable available (Charter plant ends a mile or two away).

The only place that was bad was Beaver Island. Apparently, it is one of the last vestiges of the 3G network with copper backhaul. Although reliable with 4-5 bars while we were out there on Saturday, it was rather slow, starting off around 1.2mbps, and degrading to a whopping 390kbps in the afternoon. I will say that the upside of being backhaul limited is that the Faux G air interface doesn't seem to overload and clog up when it doesn't have fiber backhaul, so it seemed much more reliable than the Faux G that I've used in the last year or two, which can be very hit or miss.

Why hasn't AT&T done anything with Beaver Island? I am guessing that there is not much, if any fiber on the island, as it looks like TDS is microwaving everything over, and AT&T is probably leasing a bunch of T1 lines from TDS, but it looks like a trivial job to shoot gigabit or faster microwave over open water from the mainland, and then on the donor tower, or another tower through a relay, connect it to a 10 gig MetroE line. With that it should be able to support the same LTE bands in use in Northwest Lower. I did the mark the spot app a few times to mark it for AT&T to look at.

Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 LastLast