Thread: Best NON SMARTPHONE with tethering capability?

Phone
    HTC Touch
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Best NON SMARTPHONE with tethering capability?

I'm due for a 2yr upgrade on the $30 SERO account. Right now I am using a Touch w/ 3rd party 6.5 ROM, which I like OK. I would like a new cheap phone like anyone else, and I know the TP2 is THE best phone available for us overall, but I really dont need all that capability and kinda miss having a more normal smaller phone with the better battery life and all. About the only thing I do with the phone besides talking on it is a fair amount of texting, and tethering to the laptop for occaisional internet access. I could really care less about all the games, email, etc that is big on the smartphones.

Anyhow, are there any more normal cheaper phones with readily available work arounds for tethering? If there are several by chance...any particular one that excels at reception/voice quality? Next consideration for me is battery life....one of the things I like least about smartphones since I dont use them to their full capability. Other then that, only must have is Bluetooth for the hands free stuff.

I'm ready to get a TP2 if I need to if thats what it takes, but I'm kinda hoping to be able to do at least that much with a normal flip/slider/etc.

Phones
    Droid RAZR MAXX (Currently Using)
    Droid RAZR MAXX
    Droid 3 (Gave to lil bro)
    Carriers
    Verizon (Page Plus)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    go to ebay and find the samsung A900. i heard that it is very easy to tether with it with just a simple code you type on the phone or something. you can do a search on the samsung section. it came out in 2005 in response to the razr. its a very good phone and i still have mine stored as a back up.

Phones
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    HTC Diamond
    HTC TP2
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    while its true that old Samsung tether easily, you can hack more recent Samsungs as well.

but if you're willing to deal with a minor amount of reprogramming after each power cycling (and having to memorize the MSL), then I'd go with recent LG, like the Lotus. I don't know if the Lotus Elite or the Rumor Touch have this feature, but there's a good chance they do also...

Phone
    HTC Touch
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'm reading up right now on the tethering and such....seems like they are making it harder and harder as new 'dumbphones' come out. What has my interest right now is the Lotus Elite. Lots of comments on the good voice quality and build quality and all. I have seen mentioned a few times already that LG is supposed to be the easiest of more current 'dumbphones' for tethering workarounds, but I have yet to come across any mention of anyone doing so or software/settings to set it up. Something like the Samsung Reclaim caught my eye too, and free after incentives, but didnt take long to find several mentions that performance isnt up to snuff with those. Anyhow, looking for something new and unused, and preferably from the current or upcoming crop...Otherwise I would just push for a service credit instead to be locked in another couple years (hey why not...longer I can keep the $30 SERO the better hahaha) and keep rocking the Touch. At least there are tons of ROMS out there for a change when you get tired of the current setup. In fact it looks like Android roms have progressed enough to be worth installing now, which I may do this afternoon.

But yeah, looks like the Lotus Elite is the one i'm looking hard at at the moment, hoping I come across what I want to see as far as the tethering goes.

Phone
    BlackBerry 10, Android,
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, AIO
    Feedback Score
    On the "dumbphone" i have tethered with the Samsung Highnote, Upstage, Rant, Exclaim, and the Reclaim all with easy using the computer to access the phone hacks. On the LG side ive tethered with the Lotus, Fusic, and the Musiq with a very very very simple (know your MSL #) hack. The new Sanyos i could never get tethering to work. A LG phone will be the most easy im sure of.

Feedback Score
    All of the dumb phones are EVDO rev 0, which has greater latency (100ms vs 300ms) and is slower in upload speed. Personally, I'd bite the bullet for the TP2 which lets you tether via USB or wifi (and works with Macs) with the free HTC wifi AP. That way you can put your phone near a window for better reception. Speed is much faster (perhaps because of a better antenna) than the touch.

I guess it depends whether you use games or transfer large files or use Remote desktop when you tether.

FYI, the ROM 6.5 ROM significantly extends the standby time on the TP2. I went from charge every day to getting 2-3 days under light use. You still need to plug in when tethering on any phone (make sure you have a charging data cable!) For some of the phones which don't use a standard USB connector it can be problematic (3rd party only for most LG phones).

Phones
    HTC Touch Vogue
    Verizon Blackberry 8830 work
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Sanyo Pro 200 great dumbphone for tethering, plus it's a REV A. Had one before I got my touch, and it was awesome. Just download the sprint software which installs the drivers on your comp. The only draw back is you can't use a 64 bit operating system, because there isn't any drivers for it. Plus it's great call quality and has a loud speakerphone.

Feedback Score
    Tethering via bluetooth, around 200MB/month prepaid for a reasonable price, Verizon X1 network (either direct or through sth like pageplus/straightalk, evdo not required), only a single day to get the whole shebang working from zero (walk into a store, buy phone, activate, apply DUN hacks, fake tethering traffic to look like normal data, etcpp).

Is there any chance in hell I can make this work? What would you do?

Feedback Score
    Save your money and put Android on your Touch. It tethers easily using EasyTether or PdaNet.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1633620

Phone
    HTC Touch
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balazer
    Save your money and put Android on your Touch. It tethers easily using EasyTether or PdaNet.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1633620
    Actually have done that already. I've had mysin's warm donut on it running on the SD card. The dealbreaker there is I cant get it looking clear and sharp for anything. I've tried both available resolutions, multiple densities, changed panel type, etc etc but nothing looks as clear and sharp as WM. I cant seem to get away from the washed out interlace sorta blurry look with Android. When switching back to the WM on it, it's like going SD to HD on a tv.

Even if I do get it looking right and keep using the touch as the primary phone, I still want to get another phone while heavily discounted, if not free one, just to have as backup if nothing else.

Feedback Score
    Hmmm. Android looked o.k. on my Touch after increasing the display density setting. It's different from Window Mobile, because the font is apparently a vector font meant for higher resolution screens, as opposed to the bitmap or hinted font that Windows Mobile is using. I was using Myn's Warm Donut release 4, a NAND installation, 240 x 320, and 120 dpi.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balazer
    Hmmm. Android looked o.k. on my Touch after increasing the display density setting. It's different from Window Mobile, because the font is apparently a vector font meant for higher resolution screens, as opposed to the bitmap or hinted font that Windows Mobile is using. I was using Myn's Warm Donut release 4, a NAND installation, 240 x 320, and 120 dpi.
    How do you change it from 110 to 120?

Regarding tethering on the Vogue, so far it's limited to USB cable. I'm not aware of a BT DUN method (which can be done with WinMo easily) though Mobile Stream says it''s a future option on Easy Tether. I hope their tech support is good - I haven't even been able to make USB tethering work on the Vogue with Easy Tether.

Phones
    Moto Q9M, C290
    Blackberry 8330, 8830, Pearl
    LG Lotus, Samsung Hue
    Carriers
    Pageplus
    Boost CDMA
    Feedback Score
    I have to give some props to the Sanyo Pro 200. This not only a drop dead simple teather with EVDO Rev A, it is also a great feature phone as well. ANd it is CHEAP!! Got mine for $20 bucks on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by brack
    Sanyo Pro 200 great dumbphone for tethering, plus it's a REV A. Had one before I got my touch, and it was awesome. Just download the sprint software which installs the drivers on your comp. The only draw back is you can't use a 64 bit operating system, because there isn't any drivers for it. Plus it's great call quality and has a loud speakerphone.
    -----------------------------------------------
    As always, these comments are IMHO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by overtheair
    How do you change it from 110 to 120?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=637624