Phones
    Blackberry 9700
    Treo 750
    Motorola V505 (Hiking)
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Stolen Phone and ATT's Lies

Stolen Blackberry. The nice folks at AT&T first said it would be blacklisted and the pin would be forwarded to blackberry's servers. I called last night after seeing a post that AT&T will activate ANY compatable GSM phone. I called business care and sure enough they did not have my old phone as stolen. The prior call was a flat out lie. So for all of you that want a new phone don't bother saving or waiting just steal it. AT&T has no loyality to its customers. Just new customers and revenue. I don't steal but their hollow excuses about not being able to keep track off stolen phones just might make me change my morals.

Phone
    Dunno... changes every week.
    Feedback Score
    You may want to know that T-Mobile does the same thing. GSM carriers in the United States do not black list phones. What the rep probably meant was, being a blackberry, that RIM would blacklist the PIN.

Phone
    Samsung Captivate, Samsung Mythic
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    AT&T or any other US GSM provider do not actively have a Blacklisting of phones database nor do they block a phone from their network. Never have and probably never will.

They can only deactivate the SIM of a phone that has been reported stolen or lost and that's it.

As for Blackberry's, you would have to contact RIM in order for them to block that stolen devices PIN. Even then, I'm not even sure they do it as not much discussion has been talked about here. Maybe it has been in the RIM forum, but I've never owned or used a BB so have not gone in that forum to know.

As for lost or stolen phones, AT&T like other providers offer phone insurance to cover the loss.

Only CDMA providers like Verizon and Sprint can blacklist a phone from being used on their network. Hence, why there are more GSM phones sold than CDMA phones due to the likelihood of a stolen CDMA phone is blocked when reported lost or stolen.
    If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That darn AT&T, having a network that allows for SIM swapping... How dare they not clean up after your mess!
    My statements and opinions do not reflect those of my employer, AT&T Mobility. This is disclosed per FTC regulation.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My guess is that the customer service rep told him that the phone would be restricted as lost/stolen and the OP assumed it would be blacklisted. THere is nothing in the At&t script when dealing with lost/stolen phones about blacklisting devices.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1pathy
    That darn AT&T, having a network that allows for SIM swapping... How dare they not clean up after your mess!
    How dare he allow his BB to be stolen! He is the scum of the cell phone world like this guy.

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by D0lphin
    Stolen Blackberry. The nice folks at AT&T first said it would be blacklisted and the pin would be forwarded to blackberry's servers. I called last night after seeing a post that AT&T will activate ANY compatable GSM phone. I called business care and sure enough they did not have my old phone as stolen. The prior call was a flat out lie. So for all of you that want a new phone don't bother saving or waiting just steal it. AT&T has no loyality to its customers. Just new customers and revenue. I don't steal but their hollow excuses about not being able to keep track off stolen phones just might make me change my morals.
    yes in fact ALL gsm companies in the USA do not blacklist gsm phones i believe. its not only ATT, but tmobile is the same way. welcome to idiocy.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Phone
    Nokia 6650
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    it might get you piece of mind if they blocked it , but you still dont have it.

Phones
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Nokia N79, e71, e62, 6555, 6126, 6030, 2610
    Moto V3XX, c168, V710
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Ex-Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MDDrew
    it might get you piece of mind if they blocked it , but you still dont have it.
    Exactly, i don't really see the need to obsess over blacklisting. Your laptop, ipod, tv, camera, ipad, netbook, and whatever else can all get stolen too.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jahoobob
    How dare he allow his BB to be stolen! He is the scum of the cell phone world like this guy.
    Sensationalist much? A mugging gone bad isn't the same as, and I'm just assuming here, was carelessness on the OP's part.

Feedback Score
    Sensationalist much? A mugging gone bad isn't the same as, and I'm just assuming here, was carelessness on the OP's part.
    Try reading the OP's post again. It starts out "Stolen Blackberry" as does the thread title. That is not misplaced or lost or the like. That is STOLEN! You ought to be getting on ant1pathy. He apparently didn't read the thread starter either.

Phones
    Blackberry 9700
    Treo 750
    Motorola V505 (Hiking)
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    It was purchased off this forum and returned to the seller who had it stolen from his front porch. Have a heart and don't sit around just looking to knock people. I hope you drown in urine.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For pointing out that AT&T is hardly responsible for a stolen phone, and has never had a system in place to blacklist IMEI's? Christ, someone is bitter.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jahoobob
    Try reading the OP's post again. It starts out "Stolen Blackberry" as does the thread title. That is not misplaced or lost or the like. That is STOLEN! You ought to be getting on ant1pathy. He apparently didn't read the thread starter either.
    I work at a retail store. I hear of a lot of phones that were "stolen" when someone left them lying on a counter, or at a party, or on a table while they wander away to do something. Not yet heard of anyone having one taken from them by force.

Phones
    Nokia E72
    LG Chocolate VX8550
    Carrier
    somalia telephone and telegraph
    Feedback Score
    AT&T apologists get out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast