Thread: Straight Talk and e-mail

Feedback Score

Straight Talk and e-mail

Hi folks. I am considering moving to Straight Talk. I need three things in a cell phone. 1. blue tooth with voice dialing 2. text messaging and 3. the ability to read my e-mail and send short replies. I do not need to stream video, music or play interactive games.

Which ST phone will give me all three of those? How well do the phones handle e-mail?
    Thanks.

Phone
    iPhone 5S, iPad Mini, iPad Air, MacBook Pro
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Welcome to HoFo. First bit of advice, before asking a question that's been asked a million times before do a search... you'll find almost everything you're looking for.

Okay & the answers to your questions depend on the phone you buy. And what phones are available depends on where you live. Go to their website, shop phones and enter your zip codes to see which ones are available to you. Also check the coverage map to make sure you'll have coverage where you'll be using it most.

All phones have text but the LG's 100c and 200c do not have MMS or data. The rest of the phones offered all have data and Bluetooth. As for e-mail I can check all my accounts and reply easily (I have the R810~which is not available anymore).

As for voice dialing... AFAIK they all have it. And good thing you don't care about games... as of yet there's no way to get any on there. I'll post the link to the page where you enter your zip code and you can take a look at the phones. HTH

Straight Talk Phones

My Babies:
    ~ 64gb iPhone 6 Plus ~ 32gb iPad Mini ~ 64gb iPad Air ~
    11" MacBook Air ~ 13" MacBook Pro ~ Retired iPhone 5S ~

Phone
    LG 290c
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

voice dialing on the LG290c

Let me say up front that I don't use a bluetooth headset with this phone. But using plain voice dialing on this phone is kinda of a bother. You have to hit the menu button, then 811, THEN say the name of the caller. When I was on Verizon using a RAZR v3, all i had to do was hit a button on the side of the phone then say the name. If there is an easier way to voice dial on this LG290c, I wish someone would tell me.

Phone
    SAMSUNG t401g & r451c
    Carriers
    STRAIGHTTALK (vzw)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (samsung sch-r451c: r451[] UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

no more 810?..interesting,walmart must be getting ready 2 sell the nexus or android 4ST.!!!!
    Last edited by howard; 05-10-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Feedback Score
    Well, I will have to do some research. My current phone that I use with Verizon allows me to push a button on the bluetooth headset and then speak a dial command like "Call Joe Dahplummer Mobile". And it usually works very accurately! I am spoiled. :-)

Phone
    LG 290c
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    It might work that way with a bluetooth headset with the LG290c, I just don't know since I don't have one. I was just pointing out, that if you use the phone without bluetooth, the voice command is quite buried.

Phone
    iPhone 5S, iPad Mini, iPad Air, MacBook Pro
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm able to voice dial with my BT headset, and there is a button on the side of my R810 to access is as well.

Phone
    LG Optimus L9
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hi pdbphoto. As to the email it depends on how much functionality you need. Would you be using it to access something like Gmail? I don't know about the high end 810 phone but my Samsung R451C isn't able to run apps like the Gmail app. However you can access the mobile version of Gmail (and presumably other web mail sites) with no problem. The browser is just very basic.

I send lots of texts with my phone including to my friend who doesn't use a cell phone (I text to her yahoo mail and she replies from there.) This works very well. The R451C has a full keyboard that isn't bad. It has rubbery keys which I don't like but I got used to it pretty quickly.

Phones
    Samsung i-617
    Samsung BlackJack II (i617) Unlocked
    Cingular 3125 (HTC-Star-Trek) unlocked
    Carriers
    StraightTalk
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk Phones - Email

I was able to send emails direct to my Straight Talk Samsung R355C by using this: myphonenumber@vtext.com One problem, it seems to operate under SMS limitations, i.e. 160 characters text and no attachments/inline pix

Phones
    Samsung SCH-R451c
    LG 220c
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffigirl
    Welcome to HoFo. First bit of advice, before asking a question that's been asked a million times before do a search... you'll find almost everything you're looking for.

Okay & the answers to your questions depend on the phone you buy. And what phones are available depends on where you live. Go to their website, shop phones and enter your zip codes to see which ones are available to you. Also check the coverage map to make sure you'll have coverage where you'll be using it most.

All phones have text but the LG's 100c and 200c do not have MMS or data. The rest of the phones offered all have data and Bluetooth. As for e-mail I can check all my accounts and reply easily (I have the R810~which is not available anymore).

As for voice dialing... AFAIK they all have it. And good thing you don't care about games... as of yet there's no way to get any on there. I'll post the link to the page where you enter your zip code and you can take a look at the phones. HTH

Straight Talk Phones
    The 810 is still listed on Straight Talk's website: http://www.straighttalk.com/ShopPhones
    There was also a couple hanging on the wall at WalMart when I bought two phones there yesterday so they are still around. A little too pricy for me though.

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeWil
    I was able to send emails direct to my Straight Talk Samsung R355C by using this: myphonenumber@vtext.com One problem, it seems to operate under SMS limitations, i.e. 160 characters text and no attachments/inline pix
    As the addy indicates, that's for text only (sms).

For pix & sound (mms) XXXXXXXXXXX@mypixmessages.com

Phones
    i730
    i1000
    Carriers
    nextel
    Feedback Score
    This is incorrect, I send picture messages(photos) all day off my Samsung R451c to email addresses everywhere. They come in just fine.

Phones
    Sidekick Slide
    LG Vu
    Samsung R355C
    Carriers
    TMoToGo,
    Feedback Score
    Cripppppple Fiiiiiiiight!

Just kidding. Thanks for the info both of you guys.

Phone
    Samsung Moment
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by judyneric
    Cripppppple Fiiiiiiiight!

Just kidding. Thanks for the info both of you guys.

HAHAAH! CRIPPPPPPPPPLE FIIIIIIIIGHT!