Thread: What is a Clear ESN?

Phones
    Motorola V80
    Motorola V600
    Nokia 6800
    Feedback Score

What is a Clear ESN?

I've been seeing this in a lot of eBay auctions for Telus phones and was wondering what it means.

I have a bunch of users at work who got hardware upgrades recently and their old blackberries (8330's and 8830's) are now sitting in a box. I was just going to give them back to our Telus rep for recycling but I figure why not slap on a new housing and sell the ones that still work? Before I spend time on this, I'd like to know what I need to do to these things other than wipe them out and if this "clear esn" thing is going to give me any problems.

Phones
    Milestone
    V3c
    M55
    Carriers
    1. Telus Mobility EPP $17.30
    Feedback Score
    uh... so you're thinking of taking company property and selling them for private profit and you're asking this on a public forum?

Phones
    Motorola V80
    Motorola V600
    Nokia 6800
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actng
    uh... so you're thinking of taking company property and selling them for private profit and you're asking this on a public forum?
    Jebus... why can't anyone ever just straight up answer a question...

anyways, no but thanks for assuming. It's something we already do with out of warranty computers. We never thought of doing it with our old phones because they're usually cosmetically beat up and nobody wanted to spend the time to recondition.

So can anyone just answer the question?

Carrier
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    an esn is a unique code that each cdma phone has (8330 and 8830 are cdma phones). Everyphone has a different esn, no two are ever the same. Telus uses the esn to activate those phones on their network, if an esn is bad, it means that telus blocked that phone from being used on their network because may have been reported lost or stolen. A clean or clear esn means that the phone is fine and telus will activate it, to check if your phones are clean, find the esn on the phone (it is located on the back of the phone after you remove the battery) and call telus to confirm it will work

Feedback Score
    Instead of getting fired for selling property that is not yours, you could just recycle them at BestBuy (with permission) and then keep the gift cards from the flip swap...

too bad you missed out on the $15 bonus for qwerty phones

Phones
    Motorola V80
    Motorola V600
    Nokia 6800
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AahH
    Instead of getting fired for selling property that is not yours, you could just recycle them at BestBuy (with permission) and then keep the gift cards from the flip swap...

too bad you missed out on the $15 bonus for qwerty phones
    Sorry if you misunderstood but this isn't for myself. The company's looking for ways to save/recoup costs and that's why I'm asking.

Phones
    Milestone
    V3c
    M55
    Carriers
    1. Telus Mobility EPP $17.30
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baoli
    Sorry if you misunderstood but this isn't for myself. The company's looking for ways to save/recoup costs and that's why I'm asking.
    nice try

most companies don't bother doing this because the cost of administering/facilitating the sale costs more than it's worth in savings.

but maybe you work at a small company and/or you make minimum wage...

Phones
    Motorola V80
    Motorola V600
    Nokia 6800
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actng
    nice try

most companies don't bother doing this because the cost of administering/facilitating the sale costs more than it's worth in savings.

but maybe you work at a small company and/or you make minimum wage...
    It IS a small company. Geez, gotta love the internet. People always assume the worst.

Phones
    BB 9780
    BB 8130
    BB 8330
    Carriers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    You will need the account owner to have the ESN released from Telus. If you just upgraded the handset them most likley its been released.

To wipe go to Security Options / General Settings. Press the Menu button and click Wipe Handheld.

This will remove all data (not applications or password).

Carriers
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseApe
    You will need the account owner to have the ESN released from Telus. If you just upgraded the handset them most likley its been released.

To wipe go to Security Options / General Settings. Press the Menu button and click Wipe Handheld.

This will remove all data (not applications or password).
    Depending on which OS you might actually be able to delete the applications, as for the password just remove it before you store the device.

and to be totally safe wipe the handheld with JVM CMDR
    TELUS /Koodo Super Moderator
    Lounge Super Moderator