Thread: Can I make my old phone "Prepaid"?

Feedback Score

Can I make my old phone "Prepaid"?

First, hello. I'm new here and I am a complete idiot about cell phones and don't know what the hell EINs or CDMAs or IMEIs or any of those letters mean so please take it easy on me. Hell, I barely know what 3G means. At any rate, my question is this:

My 2 year contract with Verizon Wireless came up and I got a new phone (courtesy of the New Every Two thing). But now I have this LG Voyager phone (my previous phone) lying around. Sure, I can donate it to charity. Sure, I can pay for an additional line and have that phone activated on it. What I want to do is erase all of my personal info on it and then get a PrePaid, non-contract, pay per month type of deal on it so that I can give it to a friend (who, believe it or not, does not have a cell phone).

Can this be done? I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, I tried to search but my Search Fu is not very strong and I didn't see this exact question asked before.

Thank you to anyone who decides to offer any advice, help, assistance!

Phones
    Casio (New) Boulder
    Lg Env2 (wife)
    Samsung u410 (Spare), Samsung I700 (Spare)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Not sure if it can be done on Verizon pre-paid. But I think most Verizon phones can be used with pageplus which uses Verizon's native network anyway.

Phones
    Droid Eris
    TP2
    iPad ♥
    Carriers
    VZW,
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It won't work on Verizon prepaid. I recommend Page Plus, since it has the cheapest Pay as you go rates around. I know Page Plus usually charges $10 for activation, but you can find dealers who do it for 99 cents. Just to let you know, Page Plus phones don't have free mobile to mobile minutes with Verizon phones, so if you are going to call this phone, it will eat up your anytime minutes.

Check out the Page Plus forums, and you'll get a lot more help there: http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=364

Feedback Score
    I've never even heard of Page Plus before but I think I might look into it. Is this something I can do online if they don't have any dealers around my parts (upstate New York)? I know, I know... I should be asking this in the forum you linked to.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You could also just add a line to your account and since you're bringing your own equipment you can do month-to-month on that line. Just make sure your friend kicks in his share a month and you 2 can share minutes.

Phones
    Droid Eris
    TP2
    iPad ♥
    Carriers
    VZW,
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PrestPhil
    I've never even heard of Page Plus before but I think I might look into it. Is this something I can do online if they don't have any dealers around my parts (upstate New York)? I know, I know... I should be asking this in the forum you linked to.
    Online activation on the Page Plus site is $10 with a new number.

I'll send you a PM with a link to a Page Plus online dealer who's doing free activations for today. They are usually pretty quick with transactions.

Phone
    Blackberry Bold 9650 with 6.0
    Carrier
    92 Million Strong: Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Try making it a prepaid phone by dialing *22888 from that phone. Follow the prompts. Its the same way I made an old chocolate of mine into prepaid.

BB Tour running 4.7/5.0 OS, USB Tethered

Phones
    Droid Eris
    TP2
    iPad ♥
    Carriers
    VZW,
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oudidntkn0w
    Try making it a prepaid phone by dialing *22888 from that phone. Follow the prompts. Its the same way I made an old chocolate of mine into prepaid.
    The Voyager can't be used on prepaid because of the HTML browser. Trust me, I've tried many times.

Feedback Score
    Sorry for taking so long with a follow up. Just to check, I called Verizon Wireless and asked if it would be possible and got the explanation that it is currently NOT an option with the LG Voyager. Just for kicks, I tried the *22888 as suggested above and it definitely doesn't work. So, I performed a hard/system reset (I believe it's called - where you wipe out all your info) and signed it onto Page Plus and passed the phone along to my friend with instructions on how to add minutes or what-have-you.

Thank you to everyone for your help!