Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: text messaging alerts/tricks

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score

text messaging alerts/tricks

Here is all the text messaging alerts that I sign up for since I have unlimited text messaging. I thought I would start a thread and see if anyone would like to share what they do with their unlimited text messaging.

*yahoo alerts.. you can sign up for sports, news, local traffic, weather, ect. (http://alerts.yahoo.com/)

*google text: this one I really like... text 466453 you can find address, phone numbers, weather, flight info, sports scores, and many other information with google text.. for instance..text Walmart (with your home's zip code) and it will text you back with a listings of the walmarts near your zip code area. I sometimes think it's faster than using the mobile web in finding an address.

*google alerts: (http://www.google.com/alerts)

*trivia games via text messaging: text "trivia" to 44636. It's basically a bunch of true and false trivia questions.. but I use it while waiting in line. haha

*hangman game: text hangman to 41411

*I text message with my phone for my twitter updates.... 40404

*if you collect coke rewards.. you can sinc your phone and text codes in.

That's all I know.. feel free to add some if you guys want. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Check the settings for Facebook Mobile, if you have an account. Even if you have the plainest-Janest phone with no web, you can text message status updates through a special email address specifically assigned to your Facebook account. If you do have web and MMS, you can use that same address to upload pics and videos.

(Do note that updates or pics sent this way will be viewable by all; there's not any selection of 'just friends' or 'friends of friends'--so be careful!)
    Kyocera 2135 on Verizon Prepaid
    Nokia 3585i on Simple Freedom/Alltel U Prepaid/Page Plus
    LG AX-5000 on Alltel U Prepaid/Verizon Prepaid/Page Plus
    LG 420G on Tracfone
    LG 900G on Net10
    DROID by Motorola on Page Plus Cellular
    HTC DROID Incredible 2 on Verizon

Phone
    Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Pure TalkUSA
    Feedback Score
    This is a good thread idea. I never used my phone for anything except phone calls until I switched to ST. Now that texting is on my plan I figure I should use it, so I'm interested in finding useful stuff like google/yahoo alerts.

Given the limited capabilities of the mobile web, I'd also be interested to hear about any sites that work particularly well. So far, I've pretty much decided that I can check my gmail if I really need to, could find a sports score via yahoo, but for the most part the mobile web is more hassle than it's worth.

Phones
    Samsung SCH-R451c
    LG 220c
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by woollyB
    This is a good thread idea. I never used my phone for anything except phone calls until I switched to ST. Now that texting is on my plan I figure I should use it, so I'm interested in finding useful stuff like google/yahoo alerts.

Given the limited capabilities of the mobile web, I'd also be interested to hear about any sites that work particularly well. So far, I've pretty much decided that I can check my gmail if I really need to, could find a sports score via yahoo, but for the most part the mobile web is more hassle than it's worth.
    So far, I have come to the same conclusion. Google/Yahoo alerts sound helpful. Is there an existing thread on this site that discusses web sites other st users have found to be particularly useful? Or perhaps is there another place that gives users help on how to effectively use the mobile web? Without a mouse pointer I am at a loss for most stuff.
    Ringie dingie dingie

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    I use the website..

http://www.skweezer.com

It's a compression style website I believe. You can register online or just go to it on your mobile web. When you input the site you want to go to... (ex: http://www.cnn.com) it will optimize it for your phone/browser. It will make loading mobile webpages even faster.

If you go to www.skweezer.com online, you can register and set up a bookmarks page. It will help you find sites that you go to on a regular basis. I use it all the time. It even has a link at the bottom of each website that shows you how it would look/load if you use it without skweezer.com

Hope that helps.

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score

google text..

Here is a rundown of all the things you can do with google text...

text to 466453 for info...

examples: local: blockbuster Orlando florida (or 34761)

weather: w nyc (or w 34761)

movies: m San Francisco (or 94116)

flights: ua 14

stocks: goog (or whatever the stock quote code is)

define: define perforce (or whatever word you want)

products: price (enter item ex: i pod)

calculator: 127*23

sports: type team name (ex: Los Angeles Lakers) or score Red Sox

zip codes: zip code Orlando florida

maps: map 5th avenue new york

directions: Pasadena CA to 90430

there are others.. but I tested them and they didn't work as well. Any other codes that people use, please post them.

conversion: 70F to C or 1 dollar in pound, 3 usd to gbp

look up info of area code: type in area code: (ex: 407)

Phones
    Samsung SCH-R355C
    Treo 755p
    Carriers
    Straightalk
    Feedback Score
    Yes, indeed, a VERY USEFUL thread.

Can I get automatic text alerts when this thread is updated?

Phone
    ST- Sammy R451C
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nwm4ever
    Check the settings for Facebook Mobile, if you have an account. Even if you have the plainest-Janest phone with no web, you can text message status updates through a special email address specifically assigned to your Facebook account. If you do have web and MMS, you can use that same address to upload pics and videos.

(Do note that updates or pics sent this way will be viewable by all; there's not any selection of 'just friends' or 'friends of friends'--so be careful!)
    I find whenever I do that, the picture is accompanied with a paragraph or so about how you need Apple Quicktime installed blah blah. Then you have to access the picture and edit all that crap out of the status of the picture because it posts with it.

Phone
    ST- Sammy R451C
    Feedback Score
    And as far as text alerts, it's nice that ST sends you a reminder text about your account needing replenished. What's not nice is when they do it over and over 7 damn times in an hour! Once or twice is sufficient!

Phones
    Samsung SCH-R451c
    LG 220c
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceno
    And as far as text alerts, it's nice that ST sends you a reminder text about your account needing replenished. What's not nice is when they do it over and over 7 damn times in an hour! Once or twice is sufficient!
    Well, it is nice to know they will send a notice. Would hate to lose the number I ported over just because I "forgot".

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    whoa.. that's rough about the reminder texts.

Does anyone have a faq on how to use yahoo messanger or aim mobile from text messaging? Just wondering. Thanks.

edit: never mind.. I found one for aim.. here I thought I would share it with you guys..

AIM TXT gives you access to AIM by sending simple text message commands to 246246. Just enter 246246 in the TO: field of your text message and then an AIM command from the list below in the message body. It's that easy

The full AIM TXT menu will be sent to your phone after you send 'login' to 246246 and reply with your Screen Name and password:

AIM
    YourSN - YourAvailability
    1 logout
    2 status
    3 send
    4 avail
    5 away
    6 invis
    7 bl ? buddy list
    8 switchsn
    9 help

status - update your AIM Status Message
    Ex: status having lunch with Chuck

send - send an IM to a buddy
    Ex: send ChattingChuck where are we meeting tonight?

login - log in to AIM
    Ex: login

avail - set yourself to appear online and available; you can also update your AIM Status Message in the same command
    Ex: avail
    Ex: avail I'm back from lunch

away - set yourself to appear online and away; you can also update your Away Message in the same command
    Ex: away
    Ex: away at dinner until 7pm

invis - set yourself to appear offline; you can also update your AIM Status Message in the same command
    Ex: invis
    Ex: invis playing a round of golf

bl - get a snapshot of your Buddy List (all buddies in your 'Mobile Device' group)
    Ex: bl

add - add a buddy to your 'Mobile Device' group
    Ex: add GabbyGrace00

del - del a buddy from your 'Mobile Device' group
    Ex: del ChattingChuck

switchsn - login with a different Screen Name
    Ex: switchsn

help - some examples of AIM TXT commands
    Ex: help

Tip: You can use the menu numbers in place of the command words! (like sending '7' is the same as sending 'bl') ***

Feedback Score
    I'm sure this is old news to most of you but I absolutely adore ChaCha. http://www.chacha.com Text any question To 242-242.
    I've never used KGB but I've thrown it some eclectic queries and have had great results.

Jokes, etc.
    Txt W to you get your local weather.

Feedback Score
    Coke Rewards text is great!!!
    Cell phone geek girl yes I have alot of phones!!!
    ~Rebecca~

http://www.youtube.com/sassygirl8324

Phone
    SAMSUNG t401g & r451c
    Carriers
    STRAIGHTTALK (vzw)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (samsung sch-r451c: r451[] UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

hey guys..4A list of mobile sites we can used.www.pdamobileweb.com is ok..also waptrick.com m.zedge.net,wapreviews.com,funformobile.com,x3m.us ,and 4myself used i bing and skweezer 4search engines because sometimes they let me get around my untrusted server if uno what i mean....hope in4 helps...hey what about a forum about mobile websites we can use with our UNLIMITED talk text and DATA plan!!!!
    Last edited by howard; 05-10-2010 at 08:47 AM.

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score

mobile websites

http://cantoni.mobi/ (this is a great website that lists most websites in a category for mobile web) Very well organized.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast