Thread: Possible to have 2 numbers on a single phone?

Carrier
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score

Question Possible to have 2 numbers on a single phone?

I have a business on the side and need a 2nd number people can reach me at.

I have played with Google Voice, but there is a problem I run into. I work for a company and do work on the side. I can't risk not knowing a co-workers phone number or someone calling from a different line and hearing the wrong voice mail.

How much would Verizon charge me to have 2 numbers to my phone? I would only need voice mail on the 2nd number.

I have a Moto Droid.

If anyone knows a better way of using Google Voice which would be free please let me know. Currently I can only come up with this way of doing it. I would have to have all my co-workers, company numbers, and supervisor phones saved into google voice so they would get 1 voice mail. Then everyone else I don't have in there would get my alternate voice mail. The problem I see coming up is not knowing someone changed their phone number or someone calls from a different phone. They would then get my alternate business email which would not end well for me.

Any suggestions of what I can do?

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Droid Incredible
    Samsung 4G LC11
    Carrier
    Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint Nextel
    Feedback Score
    It's not possible for a phone to share two numbers (in the sense that you could make calls from both MDNs). You can call forward another phone number to your phone such that both lines ring into one handset, and you could call into the voicemail box to check messages from that secondary number -- but I'm not sure if that's ideal for your situation.
    Verizon Wireless - More bars in more places on the now network.
    Every time you ask whether you can use a VZW smartphone without a data plan, God kills a kitten.
    And by God, I mean me - and by kitten, I mean many kittens. So many kittens.

Mobile Phone History by Carrier - on Pastebin

Phones
    Droid X
    VE-20
    Barrage
    Carrier
    Alltel Has been, verizon Now!!!
    Feedback Score
    Like the previous poster stated I'm not sure if it would work for you . My sister has her home phone forwarded to her cell phone and at times has her cell forwarded to her home phone. No matter which phone rings it will go the the one that is programed to receice the call...

Phones
    Droid 2 Global
    Moto Rizr V3
    Samsung Renown (retired)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Active Dual Sim

Quote Originally Posted by readability
    It's not possible for a phone to share two numbers (in the sense that you could make calls from both MDNs). You can call forward another phone number to your phone such that both lines ring into one handset, and you could call into the voicemail box to check messages from that secondary number -- but I'm not sure if that's ideal for your situation.
    If you are not committed to being on Verizon, you can search for "active dual SIM" phones (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/General-Mobile.../dp/B002GQMSZG)

These phones (providing you choose one with the correct bands) allow two numbers to be active at the same time, on the same or different GSM networks, depending which SIMs are used. Note you need "active", many phones called dual-sim allow you to have two SIMs but allow only one to be active at any time.

Phone
    Motorola Droid, Motorola Droid X, Motorola Droid 2 Global in both black & white
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Why can't you give your co-workers your verizon phone# so they would get the verizon voice mail, and give your potential customers from your side job your google voice # so they would get the google voice VM?

That's what I do and it has been working fine thus far.

Carriers
    Ting
    Feedback Score

Google Voice or Nextel...

Google Voice would be your best bet, I figure.

Nextel also supports two lines per device, although finding a customer service representative who still knows how to set it up might be a challenge.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I know the old RAZRs had a dual NAM capability. However, only one could be active at the same time. The inactive line could either go to its unique voicemail, or get forwarded to the other number.

If you needed to make an outgoing call on a specific number, you could just manually switch which one was active.

As to billing, you would need two lines and pay for two lines, though I expect they could be both on the same "family" plan.

I remember you couldn't do online or OTA activation, but instead needed to call tech support to activate the second NAM manually.

Carrier
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    Currently I'm trying to make Google voice work. All settings are to play a custom voicemail, but it doesnt always work. The greeting is cut off or defaults to the standard one. I have messaged Google about the problem. It works all the time if I have it go to voicemail only and never ring.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Casio G'zOne C731
    Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Dual NAM is no longer offered with VZW, regardless.