Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GSM Vs. AWS

Phone
    Nokia 5230
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score

GSM Vs. AWS

Is there a list of advantages and disadvantages of GSM and AWS bands?

Carriers
    WindMobile, Fido,
    MTS Ukraine, Kyivstar GSM, UMC
    Feedback Score
    Mostly the same like between carburetor and fuel injection.

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Errr.... GSM band is only used in Europe and Asia, it's the 900 band seen on specs. AWS is only used in North America, and is the 1700 band seen on specs. The advantage of GSM is phones that support it will work on the network, and the disadvantage is phones that don't support it won't work... ditto for AWS...
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Phone
    Nokia 5230
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo
    Errr.... GSM band is only used in Europe and Asia, it's the 900 band seen on specs. AWS is only used in North America, and is the 1700 band seen on specs. The advantage of GSM is phones that support it will work on the network, and the disadvantage is phones that don't support it won't work... ditto for AWS...

I see, but isn't GSM more reliable in terms of reception?

Carriers
    Rogers Wireless
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No, who told you that. Its just a different form of the technology, does someone with CDMA service have more reliable service that someone with AWS? No, its just the platform used for the operation of the network. Most of Europe uses AWS and Tmobile-USA uses AWS that is why their phones work with WIND.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IIxclusive
    No, who told you that. Its just a different form of the technology, does someone with CDMA service have more reliable service that someone with AWS? No, its just the platform used for the operation of the network. Most of Europe uses AWS and Tmobile-USA uses AWS that is why their phones work with WIND.
    I call BS on almost everything you just said.

CDMA is irrelevant in this discussion. But, since your bring it up, AWS is a set of frequencies used for W-CDMA.

Second, find me one European carrier that uses AWS.

Phones
    Galaxy S III
    Sony Ericsson TM717, BlackBerry Z10,
    BlackBerry Q10, Nokia N900
    Carriers
    WIND Mobile, Bell Mobility, T-Mobile,
    Clearnet, Peoples (HK), Cantel/Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Europe does NOT use AWS. That band conflicts with the band they do use (UMTS Band I). They only reason why we get AWS in North America is because the Band I that everybody else uses conflicts/overlaps with our PCS (1900) bands that's already in use.
    All comments are my own opinion and do not reflect the views of my employer or affiliated groups.

Phone
    Nexus One
    Carrier
    fido
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In theory AWS is supposed to be good for cellular, but if Wind is any example, it sucks big time.
    Although, has anybody talked about how T-Mobile in USA manages it? I don't hear any complaints about it like we have here, dropped calls etc

Carrier
    Rogers Communications Inc.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by angusou812
    Although, has anybody talked about how T-Mobile in USA manages it? I don't hear any complaints about it like we have here, dropped calls etc
    T-Mobile has had years to perfect their wireless network, WIND has had what-a few months?

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-fan
    I see, but isn't GSM more reliable in terms of reception?
    Well, if you're in Europe you'll get reception on the GSM band but not on the AWS band. In North America you'll get no reception on the GSM band at all...

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo
    Well, if you're in Europe you'll get reception on the GSM band but not on the AWS band. In North America you'll get no reception on the GSM band at all...
    lol. I like that answer.

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I thought the OP was talking GSM and AWS in general...if that were the case I would have just said that GSM is more widely adopted than AWS so you can pretty much get a much larger service area with GSM since more carriers support it.

If you're talking the specific bands (GSM=900/AWS=1700) then there really isn't no difference, just different frequencies and one is more widely used than the other as I stated.....
    Phone History

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    There is a small difference between 900 and 1700 actually. For 2G, voice only service 900 is advantageous because it has better penetration and range. For 3G, data service 1700 is advantageous because it has less packet loss so speeds will be faster, but it requires more towers to be set up due to having less range and penetration. Given that you never have a choice on whether to use 900 or 1700 though, that difference is negligible.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Plazmic Flame
    I thought the OP was talking GSM and AWS in general...if that were the case I would have just said that GSM is more widely adopted than AWS so you can pretty much get a much larger service area with GSM since more carriers support it.

If you're talking the specific bands (GSM=900/AWS=1700) then there really isn't no difference, just different frequencies and one is more widely used than the other as I stated.....
    If the OP was referring to the Global System for Mobile Communications, then it can't be compared to AWS. It simply doesn't make sense.

It would be like comparing digital cable to channel 13. You can compare digital cable to satellite, or channel 13 to channel 14, but the cross comparison just does not make sense.

If the OP was referring to the bands, then it is sort of irrelevant, since there's no option anywhere in the world to pick one of GSM or AWS. Based on where you live, you'll have at most one of them available.

If you want to compare CLR to AWS, then that's another matter entirely, and the benefits/drawbacks of GSM compared to AWS would be very similar to CLR compared to AWS.

Phones
    A3LSMG900T, L6ARCV70UW, QMNRM-381, A3LGTI9100, PYARM-601, PYARM-529, PPIRM-598, QMNRM-11
    PYARM-244, QTLRH-106, PPIRM-510, QTKRM-364, QURRM-485, QMNRH-66, QMNRH-55, QMNRH-71, QMNRH-34,
    IHDT56PG3, BCG-E2642A, PKRNVWMC679, N7NAC763S, QISE181, QFXRM-675X...
    Carrier
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, China Mobile, au by KDDI, Travel SIM UK
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wind-fan,

Greetings.

I think we need to sort out a few things first...

- The freq / band used to deploy a particular network technology is dependent to the spectrum allocation of a particular governing body in different country.

- In Canada and the US, the spectrum is allocated for mobile telecommunication use in cellphone are namely Cellular, PCS, AWS. Please note that AWS spectrum is not strictly for 3G carriers to deploy UMTS service like Wind Canada or T-Mobile USA. MetroPCS, for example, starts deploying CDMA service in the AWS spectrum in some markets.

- In the realm of CDMA, TDMA and AMPS, the Cellular band is usually referred as "800MHz", while in the realm of GSM is usually referred as "850MHz". PCS band is referred as "1900MHz". In the realm of 3G, it is overlaid in the UMTS Band V (850), Band II (1900), Band IV (AWS).

- It is a bit confused to describe the freq involving the AWS spectrum. We often see "1700MHz", "1700/2100MHz". This is due to the "paring channels" used in the UMTS Band IV are in different "blocks" (UPLINK Ch. in 1700MHz, DOWNLINK Ch. in 2100MHz), which are allocated in the AWS spectrum in Canada and the US...

Now, in the context of your topic, are you:

a) Comparing the Rogers 2G GSM service reliability (while AWAY) in the Celluar (850) and PCS (1900) band, and Wind 3G counterparts in the UMTS Band IV (AWS)?

OR

b) Comparing the Rogers 3G service reliability in the UMTS Band V (850) and Band II (1900), with the Wind 3G counterparts in the UMTS Band IV (AWS)?

Anyway, I recommend you to read up some good backgrounder information...

Industry Canada: A Brief History of Cellular and PCS Licensing

Industry Canada: Policy Framework for the Auction for Spectrum Licences for Advanced Wireless Services and other Spectrum in the 2 GHz Range

PhoneScoop: A Visual Guide to AWS
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast