Samsung BlackJack II (i617) Unlocked
    Cingular 3125 (HTC-Star-Trek) unlocked
    Carriers
    StraightTalk
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Block Unwanted Text/Pic MSGS?

I have the new Samsung R355C with Straight Talk. I have two questions:

1. Can unwanted/offensive text and pic msgs from previous phone number holders friend's be blocked? How?

2. Has anybody been able to find a pdf download of a user manual for this phone. The little booklet that came with it tells nothing about the details of the menus such as what does "lock" under messages do, or what does "Restriction' do under <Settings><Phone Settings><Security>?

Phone
    Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Pure TalkUSA
    Feedback Score
    ST website has the PDF version of the user guide that comes with the phone,
    http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/straighttalk/home.seam?custId=STSAR355CP

Your answer to question #1 might be using the restriction in question #2 to limit incoming to people in your contacts.

Phones
    Samsung i-617
    Carriers
    StraightTalk
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Thanks WollyB

I appreciate that very much

Feedback Score
    they cannot block any unwanted phone numbers but they can easily change your number, provided that you have a service plan

Phones
    Samsung i-617
    Carriers
    StraightTalk
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

How Does Restriction Work?

WollyB, I was so glad to find the user manual pdf link that I missed your other point about using the <Settings> <Phone Settings> <Security><Restriction> to limit calls to contacts. In my testing however, the 3 choices (Incoming Calls, Outgoing Calls, Contacts) you can either choose on or off. If you choose on it blocks all outgoing/incoming/view contacts depending on which selection you made, or none. Sort of a useless tool, and the pdf manual doesn't even go this deep into the menu it just says after selecting <Settings> then <Phone Settings. to select whichever sub-menu you want, no explanation of the sub-menus or their detailed functions. I guess it's sorta like they could tell us but then they'd have to kill us!

Phones
    Samsung i-617
    Carriers
    StraightTalk
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

To Pyrzvrt

I just got this phone/carrier so my number IS a new number, thanks for the suggestion but any new number I get is going to have people calling for the previous owner so without blocking selected numbers from calling/texting you just have to deal with it and hope the former owner passes his/her new number on sometime this year!

Phone
    Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Pure TalkUSA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeWil
    WollyB, I was so glad to find the user manual pdf link that I missed your other point about using the <Settings> <Phone Settings> <Security><Restriction> to limit calls to contacts. In my testing however, the 3 choices (Incoming Calls, Outgoing Calls, Contacts) you can either choose on or off. If you choose on it blocks all outgoing/incoming/view contacts depending on which selection you made, or none. Sort of a useless tool, and the pdf manual doesn't even go this deep into the menu it just says after selecting <Settings> then <Phone Settings. to select whichever sub-menu you want, no explanation of the sub-menus or their detailed functions. I guess it's sorta like they could tell us but then they'd have to kill us!
    I've never tried it but wouldn't setting the contacts or incoming restriction to "on" block everything from anyone who isn't in your contacts and let through only the calls and texts from your contacts? I don't think you're going to find a way to block only the offensive texts from strangers while letting non-offensive texts from strangers get through.

Phone
    Desire
    Carriers
    Rip 'First Cellular of S. IL'
    Hello ATN
    Feedback Score
    How about replying to the texts saying the number doesn't belong to their friend anymore and to please stop sending to you. Seems really low tech but it just might work.

Phones
    Sidekick Slide
    LG Vu
    Samsung R355C
    Carriers
    TMoToGo,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeWil
    I just got this phone/carrier so my number IS a new number, thanks for the suggestion but any new number I get is going to have people calling for the previous owner...
    If you are getting annoying messages from friends of the previous number holder, might you be better off with a different new number? I have had a lot of numbers, and only had frequent calls/messages for a previous owner on one of them.

And by the way, if those offensive pic messages have anything to do with hot chicks, by all means, forward them on!

Phones
    Samsung i-617
    Carriers
    StraightTalk
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Thanks for all the advice

First: I set my incoming restriction to "on" and it blocks ALL incoming calls contacts or not. Outgoing Block on blocks anyone from making an outgoing call even me, contacts block on, blocks the viewing of contacts on the phone by all including me.

Second: I have been texting back that "your friend is no longer the owner of this number please stop trying to contact me...thanks" This is, I believe slowing bringing them around

Third: I have tried new numbers in the past and I seem to always get some unwanted stuff, sometimes tons for years, sometimes a few for months, etc, I am dealing with it so far

Finally: I guess he/she had a weather alert from some county in Virginia set up and I am still getting them even though I texted back a request to stop as new owner, I even went to the web-page but w/o knowing their user & password I can't seem to stop Virgina weather alerts but I'll deal with it, even though I live in FL I was born in VA!

thanks for the replies... have a good one or not

Phone
    samsung r451c
    Carriers
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    the problem as i see it is that every time u get an unwanted phone call or text message from this other user's friends it is using up ur texting and minutes on ur phone. its a problem and i'd like to know how to deal with it as well. ST needs a fix for this ...
    1,000 text -- who uses a 1,000 texts???

Phones
    Samsung i-617
    Carriers
    StraightTalk
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's not a big problem, I just would like to get to the point where people I don't know, don't have my number in their phonebook and don't contact me. I only used 4 of 1000 texts last month so it's not that, but I agree all carriers should have a way of blocking unwanted calls & texts.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    This is a new problem that came with cell phones. With home phone service people never made changes, there was only the one provider.

Phone
    samsung r451c
    Carriers
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    its a problem if u don't buy the unlimited. just yesterday i had like 15 spam/marketers call me -- they all knew my name -- and i had to tell all of them to take me off their call list -- if u figure 2 minutes per call (because we go through the whole "is this so-so", "who's asking", "blah blah blah", "take me off ur call list" junk) that's 30 minutes off my 1,000. which doesn't seem like a big deal but it is to me. then u have the spam texts (i got like three of those). no matter what -- its a big deal -- the spammers/marketers need to go ... lol i have my ringtone set to lady gaga's "telephone" and i'll tell u, yesterday i was ready to throw that phone through a window. i'd love to know how they got my name and number -- wondering if ST "sold" the information.
    has anyone figured out a way to get rid of the automated voice at the beginning of a call announcing how many hours/minutes there were left for the call??? that's another piece of annoyance ...