Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Nuvifone A50 Navigating to T-Mobile

Feedback Score

Garmin Nuvifone on CDMA For Verizon or Sprint

I am just wondering if anybody has every heard any discussion of Garmin-Asus offering a CDMA Garmin Nuvifone for Verizon or Sprint?

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I haven't heard anything of a CDMA version. Will be interesting to see if it emerges. Does Singapore have CDMA? I think that is where GarminAsus is headquartered — not 100% sure though.

Does anyone know where you can buy an unbranded, unlocked Garminfone online if you don't buy from TMo in the USA? If I get the Garminfone, I would like it to work with AT&T 3G network. Is this at all possible?

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The Garminfone looks like it will be released on June 2nd people. Who's gonna get one...?
    http://www.tmonews.com/2010/05/t-mob...hing-june-2nd/
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/24/t...une-2-release/

Device(s)
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520 on Bell
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I'd love to get one, but the no contract price is a tad rich. Then finding someone to unlock it.

I'll wait for the price to plunge or hope my Canadian carrier adds it to their line up (highly doubtful).

The G60 may be an alternative for me unless I can wrangle some financial magic.

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazmogen
    The G60 may be an alternative for me unless I can wrangle some financial magic.
    Spazmogen, if you can wait, you will be thankful you got the Garminfone and not the Nuvifone. As much as I enjoy my Nuvifone (got it unlocked through AT&T!), it is seriously limiting. The browser is a pain to use and typing, I find, is quite sporadic. Other than that, I am still happy that I got it as the GPS has been the most useful feature for me. I use it often, especially that I am new to a city.
    You might be interested to know that you can get a new Nuvifone for US$180 from Amazon without a contract. You could then call AT&T and fax them your receipt and, as far as I know, they will then unlock it for you. Mine took less than a week — and I am on a two year contract with them.
    Hope this helps!

Feedback Score

Garmin Nuvifone A50 Navigating to T-Mobile

That is pretty much my experience as well. On the other hand, I pretty much knew that when I bought mine from Amazon, so it was not a surprise to me. I basically bought it to replace my Garmin StreetPilot 2730 and have an integrated cell phone. Mine is unlocked and I use it on T-Mobile. Since T-Mobile offers T-Zones for no additional charge, I have gotten quite a bit of use out of YellowPages.com. It is handy to be able to surf the web when near a wifi hot spot, but the web experience is not great. But when I just need something from Yahoo on T-Mobile T-Zones it does do the trick.

I am looking forward to the Garminfone, but I might wait a bit before being the first to buy it. I am pretty sure that I would like having a device that can start navigating quickly with cell phone signals before the satellite signals are acquired.

Device(s)
    HP Pre 3, Blackberry Q5
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Tawain should have the unlocked A50 and will probably have AT&T 3G frequencies. That is where the other Garmin-Asus phones were first released. I heard all Tawainese phones are sold unlocked by law. You will probably need to add the NA maps if it is anything like how the G60 was sold.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, I'll wait.

I'm eligible for a new handset upgrade in August. I'll probably go for an iPhone 4G. Which I'll sell for a profit and eventually the current Blackberry Bold. I don't care for the iPhone, but they are in demand. Together they should come close to the cost of the Garminfone.

T-mobile announced JUNE 9th as the launch date for the Garminfone.

T-mobile has a place holder page on their sales site now:
    http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...one=Garminfone

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstu
    Tawain should have the unlocked A50 and will probably have AT&T 3G frequencies.
    Can you suggest a reputable online place to buy the unlocked version over there? If I did buy a unit over there, via online, do you know what the warranty issues would be? I would hope I wouldn't need to mail it all the way back to Taiwan from USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstu
    I heard all Tawainese phones are sold unlocked by law. You will probably need to add the NA maps if it is anything like how the G60 was sold.
    Could I use the map from my ATT Nuvifone and put it on the Garminfone then? It would serve no use getting a Garminfone in Taiwan and not being able to use it here Stateside. Would the Taiwanese version be "uncrippled" — as in the full software without any network operator "tweaks/limitations"? (Has anyone on this forum bought a phone from the [foreign] OEM and used it here locally in the States?) I'm trying to ascertain if it is worthwhile getting a fully unbranded/unlocked unit against the TMo version — that is, if I get the Garminfone at all. I'm still unsure, especially as there are some very nice Android devices coming out that are way better spec than Garminfone. But then...I do like the GPS feature built-in
    Thanks for any info.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, I'll wait.

I'm eligible for a new handset upgrade in August. I'll probably go for an iPhone 4G. Which I'll sell for a profit and eventually the current Blackberry Bold. I don't care for the iPhone, but they are in demand. Together they should come close to the cost of the Garminfone.

T-mobile announced JUNE 9th as the launch date for the Garminfone.

T-mobile has a place holder page on their sales site now:
    I received the e-mail from them today stating that it is almost here. I look forward to seeing the end user reports on this once it is available in stores. There are still some things we don't know yet. For example, is it possible to tether with this phone? How would this perform if used without a data plan?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Agree, I will have to wait for end users to see if they're happy with it like RF is strong or not, any problem using the map. Now does this phone use the birds in the space to navigate like the other Garmin products or data plan?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Amazon has dropped the price on the Nuvifone G60 down to $69.99 !
    Obviously, AT&T want it gone before T-Mobile launch Garminfone.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile web site says June 9 for the release. I was guessing it would be June 2 with the Slide.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.411 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Anyone thinking of grabbing the G60 Nuvifone from AT&T can forget it. Amazon is sold out.

Now we just have to wait for the Garminfone A50 to drop in price...

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Anyone thinking of grabbing the G60 Nuvifone from AT&T can forget it. Amazon is sold out.
    Now on Amazon it shows In Stock :

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast