Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Nuvifone A50 Navigating to T-Mobile

Phone
    Note 3
    Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I still can't add it into the shopping cart, it keeps going back to "saved for later".

There are 2 different ASIN (product id's):
    B002QUZNSQ is unavailable.

B002R8S5AK is the one we're looking at. Shows In Stock, but it isn't.

Feedback Score

CNET review of the Garminfone (T-Mobile)

Here is a link to the CNET review of the Garminfone (T-Mobile)

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...tag=txt%3bpage

Phone
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Nice to see that the "premium services" are included and you don't have to "pay" to check the weather — seriously AT&T, what were you thinking charging $6/month so I can see latest movies, weather and all that?
    Bonnie Cha said in the review that TMo has said that the Garmninfone is upgradeable to 2.1 but we know that T-Mobile has not officially said whether the phone will get Android 2.2 — but it did say that the phone is capable of over-the-air updates.
    What do you think...? Will OTA updates to 2.1 (or 2.2) be forthcoming or do you think it will stay at 1.6?

Phone
    Note 3
    Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Nice enough review.

I believe the Android update will have to happen, but it depends on the processor. Can it handle the newer code as well as 1.6 does?

Multimedia: I gather 2.1 or 2.2 has better built in multimedia apps, but aren't there apps to buy in the marketplace for mp3 player and video player replacement?

Phone
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazmogen View Post
    Can it handle the newer code as well as 1.6 does?
    I think I read somewhere that the G1 was able to have 2.1 on it. Maybe Cyanogen was able to do it...? What was interesting was that it was said the G1 didn't have the power to handle the 2.1 update but it did — to some degree, in that, not all the features were working.
    Let's hope that Garminfone can indeed handle the update.

By the way, can anyone say what 3G version of Android handsets can work both in USA and UK? Bit confused if it is the AT&T or TMo 3G which will work in UK/Europe. Thanks

Phone
    Note 3
    Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ic0nBoy View Post
    By the way, can anyone say what 3G version of Android handsets can work both in USA and UK? Bit confused if it is the AT&T or TMo 3G which will work in UK/Europe. Thanks
    900 / 2100 are the Europe bands.

You'll want AT&T.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_fr...nds_deployment

Phone
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazmogen View Post
    900 / 2100 are the Europe bands.
    You'll want AT&T.
    Grr! Now where can we get a Garminfone that will work on ATT and UK 3G frequencies and be unlocked...?

Feedback Score
    I was looking for accessories for the new Garminfone on the Garmin website, but I don't see any listed yet. I just wanted to check the price of an extra battery or carrying case, but I don't see any accessories for it yet. Does anybody happen to know if the manufacturers wait until the phone is actually available before even listing accessories?

I also seem to recall reading that this doesn't have an audio jack. I was disappointed by that because I was hoping that I could use this in the car with an audio application and feed the audio to the iPod input on my car. If the only means of audio output on this is through the mini USB connection, would there be a means to charge this, via mini USB and get audio through that connection at the same time?
    Last edited by Jim1348; 06-02-2010 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Details

Phone
    Note 3
    Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    The audio jack is via a mini usb to 3.5mm jack adaptor. Just like how Motorola used to do it.

The Garminfone charges in the car cradle I believe and not via the phones built in mini usb. I could be wrong about this.
    Being there is no manual online yet, its hard to know for certain. I assume the car charger plugs into the phone cradle and not the phone directly.
    A male to male 3.5mm cable is what you'd need.

The adaptor should look similar to this:

the cable will look like this:
    Last edited by Spazmogen; 06-03-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: I can't spell.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for bringing me back to reality. For some strange reason I was thinking that the mini USB port could not be accessed while charging in the cradle, but I now realize that it can. Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    We are only a few days out from the June 9, 2010 availability of the Garminfone. Now that it is only a few days away, what are you hoping to learn about the Garminfone once it is available to the general public? Do you think that this will be a popular device? Since I already have T-Mobile service I am tempted to buy the Garminfone outright. I don't have full data right now, so I am wondering what this will be capable of with just T-Mobile T-Zones. Does anybody happen to know what T-Mobile's policy is on returning a phone if it does live up to expectations? Is there a re-stocking fee?

Phone
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    ...what are you hoping to learn about the Garminfone once it is available to the general public? Do you think that this will be a popular device?
    I want to especially play with the settings and see if any of the other Nuvifone's shortcomings are addressed e.g.
    • Copy & paste
    • Pinch & zoom in browser
    • Typing accuracy in SMS, Notes — anywhere on the device
    • Contacts: exporting, restoring
    As to whether it will be a popular device, I doubt it. iPhone is popular, EVO4G is popular. The Garminfone is for us folks who really want GPS as the main feature with the "other" features as secondary. Of course, we want all the bells-and-whistles that are on "popular" handsets — that is why we read sites like these and post comments/questions. Will it be the "iPhone killer" - nah! It might fill the niche for those of us wanting to play in the Android playground and have the GPS that we desire. My big concern is buying "old technology": Android 1.6 v 2.2!
    I will definitely watch the "new" iPhone announcement on Monday (and play with it when it is released) as well as go to TMo on Wednesday to see how Garminfone fares. If I had $450 spare, I might just go ahead and get it, and hopefully, use it on ATT, even if I don't get 3G. Having all the "missing" feature will help with daily frustration of Nuvifone use. Now, if a version becomes available that will be useful for AT&T folks, that would be preferable. But I don't know how I would feel sending $ to Taiwan to get a phone....

TMo's site gives a few tidbits about their returns: Policy 1 and Policy 2.
    Some posts I have read on other sites say, If you return the device in the stated time you will not be charged the restocking fee and T-Mobile does have a grace period before they charge the restocking fee just in case UPS is slow to return the device.
    Definitely check with them before you buy and ask for written/printed confirmation to be on the safe side. There should be some official policy they can give you — the last thing you want is an eager sales rep promising you the ends of the earth and you end up worse for it.

Feedback Score
    http://www.cellphonesignal.com/getti...e-user-manual/

This is what I found when I tried to find a Users Manual. It really doesn't give much more information, but it was interesting to look at.

I was also trying to find an Owner's Manual here, but I didn't have any luck:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...27MSQ-01000846'
    Last edited by Jim1348; 06-05-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Details

Phone
    Note 3
    Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Any T-Mobile Garminfone should be able to access the 3G frequency of AT&T (or anywhere else for that matter). It would have to be built into the phone, there wouldn't be any sense in travelling with it. I roam on AT&T when stateside, but not T-Mobile. It's SIM dependant as T-Mobile don't want you on contract and unlocking it and putting an AT&T sim into it. Unlock it and that should not be an issue. I'm with Rogers, I can see the Bell network, but can't roam on it. If I put a Bell sim in, I could see Rogers, but not roam on it (my Berry is unlocked).

Unlocking it: T-Mobile may supply the code if you buy it outright ($449 on Wednesday), but I doubt it. It will be a month or two before online vendors are able to unlock it.

I'm going to sit back and wait for a price drop perhaps into September. Once the new iPhone is out, this will suffer a drop in sales.

I'm Canadian, so I have to deal with the currency exchange as well unless my carrier suddenly buys into it. Which I doubt, as they are pushing a $10/month GPS plan.

Phone
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I was under the impression that TMo and AT&T use different frequencies for their 3G. So, the "radio thingy" in the unit will not pick up AT&T's 3G but will resort to 2G (Edge) speeds.
    is this not in fact the case then...? If we get TMo Garminfones by buying them outright, then get the unlock code from TMo, will that mean we can use AT&T SIM cards and get proper 3G speeds? [Hoping...?]

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast