Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Nuvifone A50 Navigating to T-Mobile

Device(s)
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520 on Bell
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    IcOnBoy: You are correct about the 3G/2G speed issue, but only when it has a T-Mobile SIM in it (Garminfone).
    http://www.garminasus.com/en_US/phon...one/specs.html 1700 is T-Mobile's 3G.

The phone is capable of ALL frequencies. It would have to be, otherwise you can't roam with it. And carriers want roaming cash from you.

It's more of a SIM unlocking thing. The SIM tells the phone what frequency to access for the network. Hence why I can see Bell's 3G network with my Rogers Bold, but can't access it as my SIM prevents it, even though my phone is unlocked, the Rogers sim tells the phone what frequency to use. If I switch to a Bell sim, I can access Bell's 3G.

Jim: are you getting 3G on T-Mobile with that AT&T unlocked G60 of yours? I bet not, as the G60 does not support 1700 band according to its specs: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=30018#specsTab

As long as the phone supports the frequency band, getting it unlocked and switching back to your provider's sim should give you full access to your own network.

T-Mobile's roaming:
    use the drop down box and select CANADA:
    http://www.t-mobile.com/Internationa..._RoamWorldwide

T-Mobile Americans roaming in Canada will only get 2G because of their SIM card restricting them (unless you're in Vancouver or Toronto roaming on Mobilicity). Canada only has 1 carrier that uses 1700 and they just launched last month in Vancouver & Toronto.

Here's an example with my unlocked Blackberry Bold 9000.

My home screen with my Rogers SIM:

My home screen with an active O2 (British) SIM:

A quick glance shows 3G & 3g. With the O2 sim, its 3g (no high speed data). With my Rogers SIM its 3G with data.
    Last edited by Spazmogen; 06-06-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Me spel engrish goodly like, mak changs

Feedback Score
    I just have T-Mobile voice and texting. I don't have regular data on my device, but I do have T-Zones no additional
    charge, which I think is just EDGE.

> Jim: are you getting 3G on T-Mobile with that AT&T unlocked G60 of yours?
    > I bet not, as the G60 does not support 1700 band according to its specs:
    > https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...abfolderid=all

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I will have to wait to see real users to say anything positive or negative about this device before I am eligible to upgrade. RF is the big thing I need. If it's like the iPhone, then, I'd pass.

Feedback Score
    Considering what was just posted in another thread, I guess my idea of seeing what I can do with a T-Mobile Garminfone on T-Zones may not be possible!

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...4#post13792484

"T-Mobile appears to be blocking all of their branded Andoid phones as well as Google Developer phones, the Google Ion and Nexus One from almost all of prepaid T-Zones except for the My Account section. None of the usual T-Zones hacks have worked on these phones for over a year."

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile Garminfone review - is this the best GPS unit ever created?

http://www.gadling.com/2010/06/08/t-...infone-review/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Amazon's webpage is up. It appeared overnight.

Garmin has a new site for it as well, but still no manual online.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Amazon has just updated the site with a No Contract price: $509.99 !
    It's overpriced already. iPhone 4 is going to cause the price to drop.

Garmin has the accessories page online now too. I don't know about you guys, but I would have to have a holster for it minimum. Amazon has NO accessories listed at all currently. Obviously there is a premium to pay for anyone who is an early user of this phone.

IcOnBoy's G60 is looking good about now.

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just phoned two TMo stores in town and neither have Garminfone.
    One (main) store didn't even know it was released today - I had to tell him! Was hoping to have a play on a demo unit.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Try using TMo's find a store feature by ZIP code. I had no idea Target & Wal-Mart carried them, or Radio Shack for that matter.

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So...has anyone taken the plunge and got the new Garminfone...?

Device(s)
    Sony Xperia Z1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Price without contract for me was offered at 440 or 250 with a contract. I want to make the plunge but i much rather get a unlocked version.

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FullMetalKid View Post
    Price without contract for me was offered at 440 or 250 with a contract. I want to make the plunge but i much rather get a unlocked version.
    How did you get the offer of $440 when it is $540 full price? If you buy it from TMo full price, you just have to contact them and fax them your proof of purchase.
    Call 1-800-937-8997 (3am-10pm PST) and explain that you purchased the unit full price. You should get a remedy form # from them (or something like that).

Fax: 1-813-353-6557
    ATT: SIM Unlock Team
    Remedy Form #:
    Mobile #:
    Alternate contact #:
    Email:

It will be interesting to see if the "unlocked" version is much different. At least I hope they actually give some updates to the unit. I can't believe there was not even one firmware update for us ATT G60 folks. And...surprisingly, no one has found a way to get APAC or European firmware to successfully flash on ATT version. Now that the G60 is discontinued, why don't they release a generic version...? O, I get it, because ATT wouldn't be happy with me checking the weather for free - aah!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    TMo's no contract price on their website is only $449.99. Amazon must have a bit of profit built in there somewhere.

Some of the usual online unlocking services are listing it can be unlocked for $8 US. I believe they said the same about the G60, which proved to be a tad more difficult.

1-800-937-8997 that number even works from Canada, Eh!

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazmogen View Post
    TMo's no contract price on their website is only $449.99.
    Is that price with the Even More + plan? If you buy it for $450, do you have to buy a plan with it or can you just get the phone? Wasn't sure what the website was actually saying.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Me either. I gather its the month to month price. AKA: pay as you go.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast