Thread: Good texting apps that send from the same number?

Phones
    Nokia 3595
    LGVX1
    Carriers
    Rogers AT&T
    Feedback Score

Good texting apps that send from the same number?

So I've been experimenting with a bunch of free texting apps for iPhone and am a bit disappointed.

The ones with decent interfaces such as Textfree and Textnow are both plagued by the problem that they send texts from different phone numbers every time you send a text. While this isn't really a huge problem for people with regular phones, iPhone users get irritated because texts will come in from different numbers, causing the text log to balloon in size and makes it difficult to keep track of conversations.

The only texting app that doesn't seem to behave this way is Textplus, which I loathe. The interface is complete and utter crap. The app runs so slowly and the texts are limited to 140 characters in length. These characteristics are true even for the paid version.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows of any texting app that has a fast and smooth UI as well as sends texts from the same number each time?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    What is wrong with the built-in messaging application? Many of the free applications send the outgoing messages as email. Some have no provision for incoming messages or they are received from an email portal. The rest send replies via the regular messaging channels.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    why can't you use google voice?

Phones
    Nokia 3595
    LGVX1
    Carriers
    Rogers AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri
    What is wrong with the built-in messaging application? Many of the free applications send the outgoing messages as email.
    It costs money. That's what's wrong with it

Phones
    Nokia 3595
    LGVX1
    Carriers
    Rogers AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by duggy
    why can't you use google voice?
    I tried logging into my Google Voice account through Safari and the SMS button next to call is not there. Neither is the compose button.

Also, does Google Voice have access to the iPhone's phonebook? It doesn't seem like it does, which is a major drawback.

Phone
    iPhone 3gs 32GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by henryo11
    I tried logging into my Google Voice account through Safari and the SMS button next to call is not there. Neither is the compose button.

Also, does Google Voice have access to the iPhone's phonebook? It doesn't seem like it does, which is a major drawback.
    That's because you're not looking hard enough. I just checked it to see and it is there. There is a SMS button. Click on the 2 arrows pointing down towards top left and select SMS or simply click the notepad looking small icon inbetween the dialpad and the contacts icon.

did you even bother messing with a tad bit? lol
    and Google voice has it's own phonebook which syncs from Gmail.

Phones
    Iphone 4 32Gb Black
    Razr V3xx
    iPhone 32gb 3GS Black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    if you send a txt through google voice though it'll use the google voice number and not your regular phone number, right?

I think he wants a free txt app that will send from his number. And if google voice forwards the txt to your phone then same issue still using a txt just now you have a middle man.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by henryo11
    It costs money. That's what's wrong with it
    You would pay for incoming messages sent to your phone number. Get an email account and send only email. You would have to find out the email addresses for the various wireless carriers to which your correspondents subscribe.

Phone
    iPhone 3gs 32GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rest_easy
    if you send a txt through google voice though it'll use the google voice number and not your regular phone number, right?

I think he wants a free txt app that will send from his number. And if google voice forwards the txt to your phone then same issue still using a txt just now you have a middle man.
    That's not what he wants. He wants consistency. He doesn't care what number it sends from as long as that number doesn't change. The apps he's been using, his number changes with every text he sends.

With google voice, it's ALWAYS that one number.

Phones
    Nokia 3595
    LGVX1
    Carriers
    Rogers AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n19htmare
    That's because you're not looking hard enough. I just checked it to see and it is there. There is a SMS button. Click on the 2 arrows pointing down towards top left and select SMS or simply click the notepad looking small icon inbetween the dialpad and the contacts icon.

did you even bother messing with a tad bit? lol
    and Google voice has it's own phonebook which syncs from Gmail.
    I tried tapping the double arrows...nothing. Also nothing between the dialpad and contacts icon

This is what shows up on my phone.

http://s488.photobucket.com/albums/r...VoiceImage.jpg

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri
    You would pay for incoming messages sent to your phone number. Get an email account and send only email. You would have to find out the email addresses for the various wireless carriers to which your correspondents subscribe.
    Second that. Use e-mail instead of SMS. Problem solved!

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I'm stuck using TextPlus coz none of the other apps support Canadian carriers like Rogers properly
    Last edited by TwztedElegance; 04-22-2010 at 08:37 PM.