Thread: Consumer Cellular?

Phones
    Upcoming phone: Moto W490 GREEN! :)
    Samsung T-309
    Carrier
    TMo
    Feedback Score

Consumer Cellular?

Anyone know about this company? I've been looking for a cell phone provider (prepaid or other) for my sister who has become disgusted by Tracfone, and Consumer Cellular looks like a possibility.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Feedback Score
    akb3lb1, Thanks for your interest in Consumer Cellular! I work with them and can tell you that the company offers the perfect national cellular service for casual users. Plans start at just $10/month, no contract. Because there are no contacts, Consumer Cellular enables its customers to change their cellular plans retroactively, as often as they need to, so they never pay more than they need to. Plus, the company offers a free usage alert program that notifies customers when they are reaching the limit on their plan. This way, customers can either pace their use or upgrade to larger plan to avoid overages. Customers are automatically enrolled in this program, but it can be customized by each user to fit their needs. Last but not least, Consumer Cellular has a 30 day or 30 minute (whichever occurs first) risk-free guarantee. Meaning Consumer Cellular will offer a 100% refund for any reason. Please visit us online at consumercellular.com or by giving us a call to talk to live, customer support right here in the U.S.A. at 1-888-345-5509, for any questions. Thanks and good luck with your phone search!

Phones
    Nokia Lumia
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Samsung i730, HTC HD2
    Carriers
    T-Mobile,
    T-Mobile 2 Go Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akb3lb1
    Anyone know about this company? I've been looking for a cell phone provider (prepaid or other) for my sister who has become disgusted by Tracfone, and Consumer Cellular looks like a possibility.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    I used Consumer Cellular for a short time about seven years ago- we moved from Kansas City to Denver back when Cingular and AT&T were still separate companies. We were happy Cingular users in KC and they didn't offer service in Denver (but AT&T did.) I transitioned our Cingular phones to Consumer to try out AT&T service before committing to a contract with AT&T. (As it turned out, AT&T coverage was terribile in our neighborhood at the time, so we ended up with T-Mobile!)

Consumer's customer service was excellent, and the pricing was decent seven years ago. Today, however, I fear time has passed Consumer by- their gimmick is to offer contract-like service plans without a contract, which was great back when prepaid prices were higher. Today, competitive prepaid plans offer lower prices than Consumer Cellular, and of course don't require contracts- which is Consumer's only real differentiator.

Take Page Plus, a Verizon reseller, for example- they offer $0.10/minute a la carte rates, which is cheaper than CC's $10 or $20/month plans for casual users. PP offers a 1200 minutes and 1200 texts plan for $30, which offers more airtime than CC's $30 or $40 plans, and almost as many minutes as CC's $50 1500 minute plan. PP's $45 plan offers unlimited talk and text, which easily beats the $50 and up plans from CC.

In addition the texting and data rates from CC are poorer than PP's as well, even when texting and data are included (the $30 and $45 PP plans include texting and some data.)

Again, Consumer is a good company with good customer service, and from their advertising seem to cater to an elderly demographic that might be well served by having friendly knowlegdable reps available to lean on. But from a value standpoint, they were passed-by long ago.
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011