Thread: How to roll back to a previous version of an app??

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

How to roll back to a previous version of an app??

I d/l an update to the Grocery Gadget app, because it's got alot of good new features. However it's now so unstable it's ridiculous. Almost everything I do makes the app crash. It was fine before, but now it's pretty much useless. Is there any way I can get back to the previous version of the app?

Phones
    White Galaxy S5 & White iPhone 6
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Look in your trash for the previous version.
    Google+
    Happy T-Mobile Customer since '09
    Content AT&T Customer since '12

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Trash? Like a trash can or recycle bin on the iPhone or something?

I have not sync'd my phone yet since updating the app. So the old version of the app is still installed on my iTunes. Is there any way to get that version back onto my phone?

Phones
    iPhone 3G, BB 8100
    Motorola KRZR K1, Motorola V635
    Nokia 5120, Moto V220 - (MIA)
    Carrier
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94

I have not sync'd my phone yet since updating the app. So the old version of the app is still installed on my iTunes. Is there any way to get that version back onto my phone?
    What if you delete it off your iphone. Then sync and be sure to select to sync that app from your itunes (don't update the app in itunes either). I'm not sure if that will work, but there's a good chance it will.

Phones
    iPhone 3G
    Motorola V3i, V3, V600
    Motorola T720g, V60g
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94

Since you said you hadn't sync'd since you updated the app, Zzen's suggestion should work but just in case, you should make a backup of the older version of the app, as follows:

(Assuming you're running Windows and iTunes stores your apps in the default location)--Go into "My Documents -> My Music -> iTunes -> Mobile Applications"; find the .ipa file corresponding to the app in question, then copy it to a different location on your computer (e.g., Desktop or a different directory). If after doing what Zzen suggests you find that the newer version is still on your phone or the old version does not get installed again, then what you can do is delete the newer version from your phone, sync, delete the newer version from iTunes, drag the file you copied earlier back into iTunes, then sync.

Now if you had already performed a sync prior to doing what was suggested either here or earlier, then check your Recycle Bin to see if the old app is there (iTunes sends older versions of apps there when they're updated with a newer version), unless of course your Recycle Bin is disabled...in which case you're SOL). If it's there, then just restore it; however, you'll have to copy it to a different location first and then drag it back to iTunes since iTunes will not automatically recognize an app that has just been restored from the Recycle Bin.
    Tony

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Reversing an Update Disaster

Unfortunately, I have the same problem with the Shopper app & had synced to iTunes immediately after the Update, trying to reverse the mistake. I do find the app in the Trash Bin but when right-clicked, the only menu options are Restore, Cut, Delete & Properties. If I choose Restore, will the app then go back into the Mobile Applications folder (I assume that's where it was Trashed from and replaced with the crappy version during Sync) where it can be copied elsewhere and then dragged to iTunes?

Updating was a physical accident and a HUGE mistake; I'd been holding out since March because I knew there were problems. I seriously hate the new version and need to fix this.

Thanks for all help.
    Last edited by lelisa13p; 06-18-2010 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Clarity/Title