Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to unlock your phone? And with who? How?

Feedback Score

Is it safe to unlock your phone? And with who? How?

Might be a stupid noob question.

Is it safe to unlock your phone? I heard that unlocking it voids my warrenty?

What about safety in terms of who is a trusted source? Will giving my data for people to unlock be safe? Privacy concerns? People hacking your phone? Obviously i will never leave a phone to anybody to unlock as I will want to see the entire process done in front of me.

How to get it unlocked?

Anymore tips?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby2shoes
    Might be a stupid noob question.

Is it safe to unlock your phone? I heard that unlocking it voids my warrenty?
    Yes. No.

What about safety in terms of who is a trusted source? Will giving my data for people to unlock be safe? Privacy concerns? People hacking your phone? Obviously i will never leave a phone to anybody to unlock as I will want to see the entire process done in front of me.
    No need to leave phone with anyone. Purchase the unlock code from a recommended source like Horizon Wireless. The code will be emailed to you along with instructions on unlocking. The phone will never leave your hands.

How to get it unlocked?

Anymore tips?
    See above.

Also, depending upon your wireless carrier and how long you have been with the carrier, you may be able to get the unlock code for free from your carrier. Since you don't have info filled in about your carrier, I don't know for sure.

Feedback Score
    But isnt sending the IMED or whatever code or other neccesary information potentially unwise in terms of security or privacy or other issues (Is there?)?

Also, are you breaching your contract with the provider in any way in doing this? What happens if the phone breaks, what happens to warrenty? (cause it might void the warrenty)

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Unlocking the phone does absolutely nothing to void the warranty. As mentioned above, check with your carrier first. Most will give you the unlock code at no charge, it just depends on the carrier.

People unlock their phones all the time, so it is safe.
    Samsung Galaxy SIII on 4.3 AllianceROM
    THE RULES!
    Please report all inappropriate posts by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom of the post.

Phones
    BB9700, wife S4, partner Galaxy Light
    BB9700
    wife S4
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    All U.S. GSM providers (major ones are att and TMobile) will give customers SIM unlock code to their customers. It obviously doesn't void any warranty.
    Since you posted this in the BB forum, I assume you have a BB. Just contact your carrier. They will ask for your name, acct. info and IMEI of phone. Within a couple days they will email you the unlock code and instructions.

...mike
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    3 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text. 1G data on each line . $90/mo. We have had no landline in 8 years

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Unlocking by code does not void warranty. This applies to GSM/3G Blackberries only. CDMA devices do not have SIMs so there is no unlocking. Who is your provider? As stated above, many US providers give unlock codes for free.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3)

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers | Red Pocket Mobile | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    But isnt sending the IMED or whatever code or other neccesary information potentially unwise in terms of security or privacy or other issues (Is there?)?

Also, are you breaching your contract with the provider in any way in doing this? What happens if the phone breaks, what happens to warrenty? (cause it might void the warrenty)
    I wrote a blog entry about unlocking phones and the warranty status *HERE* which might answer some of your questions.

In terms of the sending the IMEI to another company and the security/privacy aspect of it, I don't worry much about it since with SIM based phones, most if not all of the subscriber information is actually stored on the SIM card. Even if someone were to spoof/clone the IMEI from your phone, putting your SIM card into a different phone will allow you to continue using your service.

I don't know of any contract by any carrier that is breached by unlocking your phone.

In terms of what happens if/when your phone needs warranty service, generally if the carrier or the manufacturer can fix your issue, nothing happens with your warranty service. If, however, they can't fix your issue and they replace your phone with either a new or refurbished phone, you'll get a locked phone back which you'll have to go through the process of unlocking again.

As Heavy Fluid and TXLady and TadMorose1970 mentioned, T-Mobile in the US and AT&T in the US will give the unlock code for free if certain conditions are met. Since I live in Canada, I purchased my unlock code for my Blackberry Bold 9700 from a Canadian online unlocking company since the Canadian carriers for the most part don't give out the unlock codes.

Since your profile doesn't indicate which country you're from or what carrier you're using, it is hard to say whether your carrier will unlock your phone for free.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" LG Nexus-4

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10

Red Pocket Mobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

My Tech Blog

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose1970
    Unlocking by code does not void warranty. This applies to GSM/3G Blackberries only. CDMA devices do not have SIMs so there is no unlocking. Who is your provider? As stated above, many US providers give unlock codes for free.
    Except for the Tour, Storm, and Storm2, and the soon to be released 9650.

Phones
    bb storm2
    moto droid
    env3 maroon-daughter
    Carriers
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose1970
    actually verizon has some phones with sim cards . like storm and storm2.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It would not be wise to post your IMEI or ESN on a public website such as this. Sending it to a bonafide company such as Horizon Wireless or another recommended unlocking service is safe. If you buy an unlocking code off of ebay from an unknown seller with low feedback, you may also have something to worry about. I believe your concern is misplaced.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Nokia N97
    Carrier
    Bell CA
    Feedback Score
    Warranties usually refer to hardware. So, as long as you wouldn't have someone unlock it to the point of opening it up then, warranty does not get voided.

Phone
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Check out bb-unlocker.net. Prices are a lot cheaper than Horizon.
    Virgin Mobile
    Talk and Text 35 Incoming
    200 Canadian Anytime Minutes, Unlimited Text/MMS, Unlimited Incoming, Evenings/Weekends After 5PM + Caller ID + Voicemail + 2GB BlackBerry Data

Phones
    iPhone 4S 64GB Black
    iPhone 5 64GB Black
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've always unlocked my phones and have never had a problem.

Phones
    HTC Magic
    HTC Dream
    Samsung a920
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    When I go to get my unlock code. Do I get it for the provider I want to use the phone on ( IE I am going to be using a 9700 on Bell) or do I get the unlock code for provider that I got the phone from ( IE bought phone off ebay and say it was used before on AT&T)

Thanx for the help

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well, if you aren't on the provider, like AT&T, you will not be able to get one from them. You will need to purchase a code from a third party, like Horizon. Since you will be going to Bell, they cannot unlock an AT&T phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast