Thread: Net10 work in Canada?

Feedback Score

Net10 work in Canada?

Hey guys, I have Net10 and I plan to go to Canada next month. My question is will it work or not?

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyKing02
    Hey guys, I have Net10 and I plan to go to Canada next month. My question is will it work or not?
    That's an easy one. NOPE!

You are not to use it anywhere outside the States.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If you are just inside Canada and pick up a USA tower your OK. If you access a Canadian Companies tower and the call goes through, at no telling what rate charged to Tracfone, your phone will be rendered forever useless by Trac, because you broke one of their serious T&C.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile To Go will roam in Canada on Rogers at 69cpm. That is the route I would take in a large city, as Canadian prepaid charges long distance in addition to minutes and it comes out the same. If you want to go to the boonies, you will need to get a Bell or Virgin phone once you cross the border. If you want to go into the middle of nowhere, you need a satphone (Iridium is the best, but the phone is $1800 and minutes are over a dollar per, and avoid Globalstar at all costs). US Virgin phones are useless in Canada.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    T-Mobile To Go will roam in Canada on Rogers at 69cpm. That is the route I would take in a large city, as Canadian prepaid charges long distance in addition to minutes and it comes out the same. If you want to go to the boonies, you will need to get a Bell or Virgin phone once you cross the border. If you want to go into the middle of nowhere, you need a satphone (Iridium is the best, but the phone is $1800 and minutes are over a dollar per, and avoid Globalstar at all costs). US Virgin phones are useless in Canada.
    i'll be in Toronto mostly...TMobile to go? is that part of NEt10?

Phone
    Motorola 376
    Carriers
    Platinumtel
    Kajeet
    Feedback Score
    i'll be in Toronto mostly...TMobile to go? is that part of NEt10?
    No that is part of TMobile

Feedback Score
    If you are going to use the phone enough (you do the math) in Canada, it could be worth buying a Canadian pre-paid. I looked into this a few months ago, and for a stay of about a month the best deal seemed to be Telus prepaid. The main reason was that they offered a deal for unlimited calls to one local number for $7/mo. That number could be set up as the number for a calling card, from which I could make calls to the US and Canada for under 3c/min. They also offrerd a package with unlimited incoming, texts, picture messages, and local nights & weekend for $45/mo or $2/day. This gave unlimited talk/text/pic service for $52/mo - as long as I only used the phone withing a single local calling area. The up-front cost of a phone was pretty steep (~ $60 minimum), but refurbs and some sale phones include a $50 startup credit for about $70. I figured $80 for the first month, $50-$60 for additional months - plus 3c/min.

You will need a Canadian address & credit card to buy phones online. Otherwise you will need to shop for deals at retail outlets. London Drug looked like a good option for finding refurb phones. Some folks recommended Walmart.

Note there may be better deals for less unlimited usage. Some carriers offer unlimited incoming for $1/day. If you can live with unlimited in only one direction, or can use the phone mainly nights & weekends, you can figure a cheaper solution.

Caveats:
    1) I never actually tried this out, got by with just a landline.
    2) These prices are based on Vancouver. Pricing and deals elsewhere in Canada may vary.
    3) This is only unlimited service if you make essentially all calls through the calling card (not highly convenient), and stay within the local calling area. Outside the calling area, you will be charged 30c/min long distance for incoming and outgoing.
    4) Various other limitations may be surprising - like 3 message limit for voice mail.

Feedback Score
    i only be over there for 10 days.

Feedback Score
    i only be over there for 10 days.
    A lot depends on how many minutes you will use. 10 minutes a day comes to $69 with the T-Mo solution (assuming you already have their phone, or can get one for no more than the cost of airtime). 2 minutes a day is just $14.

The Telus solution will cost you about $70 (Canadian, plus tax), plus about 3c/min for outgoing calls. It may not be easy to find a refurb phone in a retail store, but 10 days of unlimited will only run about $28 in airtime; a new phone (under $60 at Walmart) comes with $20, add a $10 card, and you're still at $70. You may find a better deal when you're there. You will need internet access to activate.

So it looks like the crossover point is a bit over 100 minutes total usage.