Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I activate a used Droid without data plan?

Phone
    VX8550
    Feedback Score

Can I activate a used Droid without data plan?

Ok, I'm a cheap SOB. I don't want to pay another $30 for internet access on top of my home ISP. Most places I go have free wifi, so I'd like to have a phone capable of accessing the internet via wifi.

If I buy a used Droid and try to activate, will Verizon know that it's a smartphone & charge for the data plan?

Phones
    Lg vx4400, vx6000
    Samsung S200, S307
    Nokia 7160
    Feedback Score
    Yes you can. Just hop over to Page Plus Cellular and they will give you the how to.

Feedback Score
    You are correct you cannot activate on Verizon they will know its a smartphone.

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just curious, whats the point in having a droid without a data plan? just bc it looks cool?

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That Vince McMahon entrance music comes to mind....

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmitch1585
    Just curious, whats the point in having a droid without a data plan? just bc it looks cool?
    You can use WiFi, instead of getting ripped out of $30/month. Also, the advanced tools available on the Droid.

It makes sense, actually.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well of course he could just use wifi, if he's fine with not being able to use the phone portion.

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBounca
    You can use WiFi, instead of getting ripped out of $30/month. Also, the advanced tools available on the Droid.

It makes sense, actually.

agree to disagree

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmitch1585
    agree to disagree
    Why do you disagree?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Last 5: HTC Thunderbolt
    Motorola Droid, BB Tour, BB Storm, BB Pearl
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Why do you disagree?
    "smartphones are useless without data...it's like a sportscar without tires (or some other ridiculous comparison).

Carriers
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Not useless but severely limited. If you're "always around WiFi", why not just get a laptop/netbook and carry that around instead?
    Perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I have my phone because I want decent email and web anywhere, not just around an access point (and I'm not near one, usually).

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrous9200
    Not useless but severely limited. If you're "always around WiFi", why not just get a laptop/netbook and carry that around instead?
    Perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I have my phone because I want decent email and web anywhere, not just around an access point (and I'm not near one, usually).
    You can find an access point really anywhere now, especially in the bigger city. I'm not a big data user, but I'd love to have a PDA for the quality of the phone alone.

To each his own... I guess...

Phones
    Lg vx4400, vx6000
    Samsung S200, S307
    Nokia 7160
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.18741/812; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Access points are available but its not like most of them are open to the public. Most access points are password protected.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lusec
    Yes you can. Just hop over to Page Plus Cellular and they will give you the how to.
    A Blackberry with their extensive data compression, I can see, but not a data intensive smartphone like a Droid. The best bundled package on Page Plus only gives you something like 50-100 MB per month of data and then they charge you 60 cents per MB of overage. With a data intensive phone like the Droid, if you forget to turn off data when you're not near WiFi and it connects to the cell network for data, you could easily wind up with a $200 or higher bill for data overages at the end of the month.

I just use my Droid to check email daily and weather updates and my Droid pulls over 400 MB of data a month. My gf uses her Droid for email, weather updates, Facebook updates, IM and light web surfing and she blows through 1.5 GB on average per month. If she was on Page Plus, her data overages would be over $800 a month.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You can find an access point really anywhere now, especially in the bigger city. I'm not a big data user, but I'd love to have a PDA for the quality of the phone alone.

To each his own... I guess...
    If this was 5 or 6 years ago, I would agree with you. Back then, lots of apartment dwellers and businesses had set up WiFi, but left their networks unsecured. Nowadays they are a lot smarter and have them all password protected. Major hotel chains have free WiFi for guests (except for "business" hotels, which still charge daily access charges for WiFi), but those are password protected as well. Starbucks has WiFi, but they charge hourly for access.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast