Phones
    LG enV2 VX-9100
    Motorola E815
    LG VX-4400
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Cheap text only option?

My relative needs a cheap phone for occasional texting only. I was at walmart the other day with him and we saw that you can pick up a virgin mobile "jax" for about $10 and virgin mobile offers a $10, 1000 text message card. However, when I read the fine print on the back of the card it mentioned something about spending a minimum of $20 in order to keep the account active and maintain the account. The woman at the store wasn't sure if it was possible to buy the phone and only buy a $10 text messaging card to go with it. She also mentioned that a credit card might be required. Can I just buy this phone with a $10 text messaging card? is a credit card needed at any point to setup this account?

I appreciate the help, I also appreciate any other advice if this doesn't seem like the best solution.

Phones
    LG Rumor Touch
    Lg Optimus S
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    no there is not a credit card required as long as you top up at least 20 dollars a month on your account you will be safe. but staying cheap you can add 20 bucks every 60 days and still have an active account. get the jax and a 20 dollar card and you will be fine for at least 60 days

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshMU
    My relative needs a cheap phone for occasional texting only. I was at walmart the other day with him and we saw that you can pick up a virgin mobile "jax" for about $10 and virgin mobile offers a $10, 1000 text message card. However, when I read the fine print on the back of the card it mentioned something about spending a minimum of $20 in order to keep the account active and maintain the account. The woman at the store wasn't sure if it was possible to buy the phone and only buy a $10 text messaging card to go with it. She also mentioned that a credit card might be required. Can I just buy this phone with a $10 text messaging card? is a credit card needed at any point to setup this account?
    You need to add $20 to the account every 90 days to keep it active. With a credit card tied to the account, you only need to add $15 every 90 days. So a credit card is not required, but there is an advantage with one.

That 1000 text messages is a monthly deal. It will cost $10 every month, not just over the 90 day period.

If your friend is a light texting user, there is also a 200-message pack available for $5/month. If your friend will use fewer than 34 messages per month, the best option is no message pack and each text message will cost 15 cents.

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    There is 30 txt for 1.99 but this person might get to liking it ant may want to go up. Is a good plan for light users. Just make sure that they are in an area that gets good sprint reception as vm uses their towers
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Phones
    LG enV2 VX-9100
    Motorola E815
    LG VX-4400
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ok, so I can buy the $10 phone a buy a $10 1000 message card, and that is all I need to text 1000 messages for 30 days, correct?

Feedback Score
    No. 1000 messaging plan is 14.99 ,not $10. Att's 100o message plan is but in May, Tmobile prepaid is supposed to be offering unlimited texting and 10 cents a minute plans for $15. You can use any gsm unlocked phone with Tmobile.

Phone
    HTC_816_Phablet, Lumia_520
    Carrier
    Virgin_Mobile, Cricket, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshMU
    Ok, so I can buy the $10 phone a buy a $10 1000 message card, and that is all I need to text 1000 messages for 30 days, correct?
    yes. $10 = 1000 messages on VM paygo.
    http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans
    Here's how it works.
    1. buy a VM phone.
    2. buy a VM Top-up Card.
    3. Add the Top-Up to your account.
    4. Select the $10 / 1000 message option.
    5. enjoy.

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyrn
    There is 30 txt for 1.99 but this person might get to liking it ant may want to go up. Is a good plan for light users.
    That one's not on the web site anymore. It must be gone. The only Paygo message packs are 200/$5, 1000/$10 and unlimited/$20.

Phone
    HTC_816_Phablet, Lumia_520
    Carrier
    Virgin_Mobile, Cricket, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner
    That one's not on the web site anymore. It must be gone. The only Paygo message packs are 200/$5, 1000/$10 and unlimited/$20.
    It was never listed on the website (except on the VM tos). It is still available on the messaging options when purchasing from your device.

Feedback Score
    Or you can always go to Pageplus if he is looking for texting mainly, 2000 texts for 12 dlls or unlimited for 20 and if he add at least 25 dlls credit he will get a rate of 6 cents a minute. I'm a pageplus customer but I think I'm going to change to Virgin mobile since they are coming up with a new plan, unlimited text, web and 300 minutes for 25. its great for me, Pageplus don't have a good plan for me

Phones
    BB Storm 2
    iPhone 3GS
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you only want texting you may want to look in to Peek. Their email device has unlimited texting as well and if you beg you can get service for $10/mo. Just a suggestion.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gendur
    If you only want texting you may want to look in to Peek. Their email device has unlimited texting as well and if you beg you can get service for $10/mo. Just a suggestion.
    Did the service improve? My mother used to have a Peek Pronto and texting was always hit-or-miss with texts not getting delivered and it delivered by way of an e-mail gateway which made it feel like an afterthought...

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1
    Watch me on YouTube: AlexKidd4Fun

Carriers
    Redpocket Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gendur
    Can you text on a regular Peek?
    Is the $10 a month plan a special or the regular price?
    Does the peek have good service?

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blcistheking
    Can you text on a regular Peek?
    Is the $10 a month plan a special or the regular price?
    Does the peek have good service?
    Yes, regular Peek can text the same as the Pronto. The Pronto has a more push-like infrastructure so e-mail arrives faster and I think can have more mailboxes. Those are the only differences other than cost of the device.

The service uses T-Mobile's nationwide network including roaming partners, so coverage would be the same as a post-paid T-Mobile line for e-mail and text.

--Kidd

Phones
    BB Storm 2
    iPhone 3GS
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977
    Did the service improve? My mother used to have a Peek Pronto and texting was always hit-or-miss with texts not getting delivered and it delivered by way of an e-mail gateway which made it feel like an afterthought...

--Kidd
    I have had zero issues and found it to be reliable. They recently teamed up with 3jam to even give you a dedicated number that your texts appear to come from to the recipient. Their website has some info, I think. I am using the Pronto so not sure if the other model has the same features.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast