Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 62

Thread: How to: VoIP and SIP Client guide for Nokia phones

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    406
    Feedback Score
    0

    Somebody, PLEASE!

    I can't seem to find an answer. I need to set up VOIP on wifi on a C6. S60v5.
    I'm looking at Fring and Nimbuzz. They both have services like FringOut and Nimbuzz has an out, too.
    Nimbuzz has a list of SIP providers on its webpage. Half of them sound like warez.
    If you get a SIP are there free ones or do you pay both the SIP and Fring?
    I do have the ability to enter SIP settings in this phone.

    I want a service that is on demand, not monthly. Looks like both Fring and Nimbuzz work that way. I want to use wifi as I can access that usually in a motel but my carrier has no bars. I'd only need it on vacation.

    Also, family member is going to the UK. Need a service that would work well calling Vodaphone. And that could receive calls from Vodaphone.

    I've tried asking both Nimbuzz and Fring about certain parts of their service. Either they don't understand, or they don't want to bother with someone who simply won't download and take them on trust!

    I've asked on other forums. I see plenty of questions like this on Nokia fora, and no one bothers to answer. Is it a state secret for geeks only?

    I've also had partial answers, like get SIP, and use Yahoo, GV, and no information on HOW to do it. I think my phone will connect to GV, but I can't use the phone like a phone. How does SIP allow that? If you install it, how do you use it? Do you go online first or what?

    BTW- my C6 is unlocked.

    Thanks,
    Carpetshark

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    267
    Feedback Score
    0
    The C6 should support native VOIP built-in by Nokia already - no need for Fring or Nimbuzz third party add ons. See the first post in this thread

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    406
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks, I can type stuff in- but where do I find a SIP provider? I've tried googling it, half the ads are for large companies wanting a system, and the other half look like warez sites. Nimbuzz has a list of them, and most of them do look like warez ads.
    I'd really like something that I can use when I want it, not a month to month subscription.
    The other thing I'd need is instructions on how to use it. Say it works with GV. Do you start with your browser or what? I need a good tutorial that isn't to techy to figure out how I want to do it.
    In other words, I can see what the example shown in the first post does and it makes sense. But I can't see how to apply it.
    CS

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    267
    Feedback Score
    0
    http://www.voipcheap.com
    http://www.voipbuster.com
    http://www.callcentric.com
    http://www.voip.ms

    Also - free incoming so it works well with Google voice (sipgate one, 1.9 cents/min outgoing, free incoming):
    http://www.sipgate.com/one

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    153
    Feedback Score
    0
    Don't forget Tmobile offers VOIP. Great if you have a fast Internet connection and WiFi but no cell service. The minutes come out of your cell bucket. It might work with their prepaid plans. If it does it might be just what you want.


    Quote Originally Posted by carpetshark View Post
    Thanks, I can type stuff in- but where do I find a SIP provider? I've tried googling it, half the ads are for large companies wanting a system, and the other half look like warez sites. Nimbuzz has a list of them, and most of them do look like warez ads.
    I'd really like something that I can use when I want it, not a month to month subscription.
    The other thing I'd need is instructions on how to use it. Say it works with GV. Do you start with your browser or what? I need a good tutorial that isn't to techy to figure out how I want to do it.
    In other words, I can see what the example shown in the first post does and it makes sense. But I can't see how to apply it.
    CS

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    406
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks, I'll look those up.
    TM did have that service with their own router, but that was discontinued.
    I know they have Hotspot, but that's in a particular area isn't it? You have to go to a Starbucks or someplace like that? That's not exactly a motel in East Podunk.
    You have to go far and wide on the Colorado Plateau, or stay on the beaten path.
    CS

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    153
    Feedback Score
    0
    I was on vacation last year in New Mexico. There wasn't any cell service in the mountains were we were staying. I looked into VOIP and this is what I found. I am thinking about getting a E73 phone.

    Tmobile had a plan add on that gave you unlimited VOIP for $10. That add on has been discontinued. If you aren't grandfathered, the minutes come out of your cell plan bucket. The service has not been discontinued.

    At one point Tmobile was selling a router but that was discontinued. But it works with almost any router.

    Android phones with WiFi have add on software available that allows you to use VOIP instead of a cell site for calls. That software doesn't allowing switching between a cell site and VOIP during a call, other phones do.

    If you need to use VOIP at a motel you need to open a browser on the phone first and log onto the hotel's hot spot. After you get the phone authorized using the password they give you at check in you can then set up the VOIP.

    Quote Originally Posted by carpetshark View Post
    Thanks, I'll look those up.
    TM did have that service with their own router, but that was discontinued.
    I know they have Hotspot, but that's in a particular area isn't it? You have to go to a Starbucks or someplace like that? That's not exactly a motel in East Podunk.
    You have to go far and wide on the Colorado Plateau, or stay on the beaten path.
    CS

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    406
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just an FYI - voip.ms is getting some flack in Broadband Reports. Apparently they want some form of ID for credit card and paypal.
    I looked at their site, and no info unless you joined. I should think if you want customers, you would give answers to basic questions free. I can't take getting "try it free" on trust. That seems to be the problem with a lot of those companies. I'm not sending anything to my phone unless I have all the details. For instance - Truphone says it supports Nokia. You finally have to catch them on Facebook, and they don't support the C6. So if I did a download now, it would not work, and could brick the phone.

    I've only had to get a password once to use wifi at a motel. The strangest one was in Blanding, UT, where you had to sign up for a cable.

    Thanks
    Last edited by carpetshark; 12-05-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: forgot something

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    Check this for a full setup guide, just fill your voip provider data:
    http://vesakoret.wordpress.com/2010/...or-voip-calls/
    Last edited by SipUser; 12-06-2010 at 12:34 AM.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    406
    Feedback Score
    0

    Chicago

    I've read that. It has good information.
    I'll give you and example of why I'm confused. I finally heard from VOIP.ms.
    They were thorough in the reply, but then said I need a SIP client like Fring! I thought they were a SIP service!
    Fring is a bit hard to deal with, I don't think English is their native tongue - they do the best they can. Nimbuzz is better about answering.
    Now I'm just looking for some kind of straight answer about whose service is WHAT!
    CS

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    267
    Feedback Score
    0
    You are making this a lot more complicated than it really needs to be.

    Just sign up for a free SIP account with Sipgate One. No id or credit card needed. You get one hour of free calling to try out the service.

    Get the SIP account credentials and follow post #1.

    Use the native SIP client that Nokia has already built into the C6. It works much better than fring or nimbuzz for voice calling.

    Nimbuzz, fring, truphone, etc are for cellphones that don't have voip already built-in.

    The special t-mobile router was to allow you to connect your home phone (wired) into tmobile's cell network via the internet. The router had 2 SIM card slots that held your tmobile account info (i.e. up to 2 tmobile telephone numbers) and 2 connection to hook up wired home phones into.

    Certain Tmobile cellphones can work (as standard cellphones) over any standard wifi connection anywhere in the world. They don't need the special tmobile router.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    406
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thank you! I finally got to that point and was starting to look a SIP providers, but their websites aren't exactly forthcoming, either. Some of them are either all business, or download and find out. I wouldn't do that on a computer, so why assume I'd do it on a cell phone?
    I also read Nokia's groups and it's still 50/50 as to whether or not C6 does have Voip client. Any interesting questions - on either USA or Europe site - don't get answered. I'm starting to get the feeling that it's a secret that only techs are supposed to know!
    I'll give Sipgate a try over the weekend.
    Thanks again,
    CS

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    406
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by l69norm View Post
    You are making this a lot more complicated than it really needs to be.

    Just sign up for a free SIP account with Sipgate One. No id or credit card needed. You get one hour of free calling to try out the service.

    Get the SIP account credentials and follow post #1.

    Use the native SIP client that Nokia has already built into the C6. It works much better than fring or nimbuzz for voice calling.

    Nimbuzz, fring, truphone, etc are for cellphones that don't have voip already built-in.

    The special t-mobile router was to allow you to connect your home phone (wired) into tmobile's cell network via the internet. The router had 2 SIM card slots that held your tmobile account info (i.e. up to 2 tmobile telephone numbers) and 2 connection to hook up wired home phones into.

    Certain Tmobile cellphones can work (as standard cellphones) over any standard wifi connection anywhere in the world. They don't need the special tmobile router.
    I just read through the whole site. It says nothing about supporting any phones beyond the N79 and N85. Nothing about Symbian.
    What worries me about this - if the site doesn't support my phone, it's likely they will be no help. Why don't sites update info? Plus I don't see a forum for it, either.
    CS

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    406
    Feedback Score
    0
    Do I use the VOIP client in Sipgate? That mentions checking connection by landline phone. We don't have one. We are cell only. Phone line converted to DSL.
    Thanks

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6
    Device(s)
    N95-4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    N8 with RingCentral

    Has anyone been successful at getting an N8 to work with RingCentral? I think I might be entering their SIP settings incorrectly or missing a step not found in OP.

    Searched and have only found 1 or 2 people also using RingCentral and N8 and they can't get it to work either. But E71/72 users have been successful.

    Any help would greatly be appreciated.

    Thank you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks