Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How to: VoIP and SIP Client guide for Nokia phones

Feedback Score
    I got Skype to work. Although finding and downloading was a bit of a pain. I'm still interested in VOIP, but most of the terms are new to me and confusing. Where's a good tutorial in PLAIN ENGLISH rather than advanced or geekeze?
    Thanks,
    Weezy

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetshark View Post
    I got Skype to work. Although finding and downloading was a bit of a pain. I'm still interested in VOIP, but most of the terms are new to me and confusing. Where's a good tutorial in PLAIN ENGLISH rather than advanced or geekeze?
    Thanks,
    Weezy
    http://vesakoret.wordpress.com/2010/...or-voip-calls/

Feedback Score
    I've read that. It's good as far as it goes. I've been looking at providers for VOIP, and the terms and what they mean are confusing. Stuff like DID, etc.
    I start reading comparisons to find what others think of a VOIP provider and the conversations get technical.
    I'm reading these as half the damn sites for providers (unless for business) look like grade B comeons.
    CS

Device(s)
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I've bookmarked that. But I still want to know more about the services and companies. I've been reading the VOIP forum at Broadband Reports, hoping for some clue about a good provider. The posts get really technical. The complaints about certain companies really get technical and maybe I don't need that part, I would like to understand why they are complaining. Is the company inept, crooked, or are the complainers just having minor technical issues?

Feedback Score
    I have nokia c3-00 but it doesn't support "native" VOIP (SIP protocole)for it's wifi capability.the nokia customer services explain me that it's "pure" marketing to not provide VOIP to the nokia C3-00. The target market for C3-01 (with voip) is africa, india ... where VOIP seems ok, but for North America/Europe they don't want to provide this option. I suspect a pression from "mobile operator" ... if nokia provided voip for this kind of phone (wifi), the operator wouldn't distribute this phone on their brand.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bilallucky View Post
    I have nokia c3-00 but it doesn't support "native" VOIP (SIP protocole)for it's wifi capability.the nokia customer services explain me that it's "pure" marketing to not provide VOIP to the nokia C3-00. The target market for C3-01 (with voip) is africa, india ... where VOIP seems ok, but for North America/Europe they don't want to provide this option. I suspect a pression from "mobile operator" ... if nokia provided voip for this kind of phone (wifi), the operator wouldn't distribute this phone on their brand.
    I saw that Skype was available for Symbian 60v5, and should be on the Ovi store. Wasn't there, Ovi told me it wasn't available. Went hunting and found an independent Symbian site with the download and installed it. I'm using my own wifi most of the time. Apparently, I can also use a SIP client, but I'm having a hard time understanding the ins and outs of VOIP. The discussions get too technical.
    CS

Feedback Score
    Is it Nokia or the carriers? If it's Nokia, they had better get on the stick as I see the new lot of Android are coming out with Skype video chat built in. I'm really amazed with some of the attitudes. Opera started a battle about Internet Explorer and Europe got a choice. Nokia is getting like that with OVI and a few other things.

Feedback Score
    could you please explain me how can i setup the same settings in Nokia X6.

Feedback Score
    You will have to google for the SIS file. I got it from an S60v5 forum. You can't download to the phone from Skype, it won't run. I installed the SIS file via PC Suite and cable.
    Skype puts in its own settings. The only thing I did was set up a new connection file, where wifi was first choice, then TM.
    You might have to hunt for that on your phone. Since daughter is in England right now and using Skype, I'm not upsetting the apple cart by getting nosy.
    Actually, Skype works better on the phone. Sounds like a normal call. And the phone rings.
    CS

Device(s)
    Nexus One & iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by carpetshark View Post
    I've read that. It's good as far as it goes. I've been looking at providers for VOIP, and the terms and what they mean are confusing. Stuff like DID, etc.
    I start reading comparisons to find what others think of a VOIP provider and the conversations get technical.
    I'm reading these as half the damn sites for providers (unless for business) look like grade B comeons.
    CS
    Hi @carpetshark,

I can sympathize with your plight. A few years ago, I was pretty much in the same boat as you--lots of interest but little factual knowledge. Here's how I would break it down:

Typically, signing up for SIP / VoIP service is free. What you get is an ID like "SIP:[email protected]" or something. You can use this to contact other people who have SIP accounts for free. Useful, but it's unlikely that the other side has a SIP account with a VoIP vendor.

For a small monthly fee, you can purchase your own phone number (DID - Direct Inbound Dial), so that people with real phones can call you. Places like VONAGE give you this DID phone number as part of the service. Most VoIP SIP operators require a small monthly fee ($1 - $2). Thus it's possible to get a local Hong Kong number, but have it ring your VoIP phone at your desk in say, Toronto. Calls using this phone treat other HK numbers as local. Most places allow you to hook up multiple numbers from different area codes to your account. You just need to specify which DID route you want to call out from.

Finding a VoIP provider is interesting. I use Voip.ms myself because they have a multitude of servers across North America (and a few in Europe too) for me to connect to (useful when traveling to keep the latency low). Basically, the farther away your server is, the more lag you will experience in your conversation. You can use the ping command in your terminal to assess latency. Anything over 110 ms is not good. You need a set of criteria. For me they are:

• Quality
    • Multitude list of servers w/ low ping times
    • Price

I haven't had any problems with Voip.ms, but there are definitely cheaper alternatives available (and even free methods like tying Google Voice to your account). I'm a stickler for quality--I use my VoIP numbers as a business line, so I can't have any hiccups. And the price premium is still like a penny a minute... I have had good experience with CallCentric as well.

There are more advanced things you can do--like Ring-backs and dial-throughs that allow you to connect to the VoIP service without using data (kind of like a long distance calling card).

The other thing you've probably read about are codecs. Basically stick with the G729a codec if you intend to use VoIP over 3G. PCMu 711 is typically recommended for Wi-Fi. Make sure whatever device you have supports the codecs of your provider. For instance, most free SIP VoIP apps for mobile phones (iOS and android) don't support G729a, and it's by far the most popular low-bandwidth codec supported by North American providers. I've never seen a provider support things like Speex, ILBC, or SILK.

You might also read about STUN servers. I'm not exactly sure how these work, but I gather that they help keep track of your IP address if you are behind a firewall or if you are roaming on 3G. The net effect is that your phone will pick up if someone tries to call you and you are behind a firewall.

As for the multitude of users having problems, I think they are configuration issues. You need a broadband connection with a good, solid upload link. You need a router that does proper Quality of Service (QoS) so that it can throttle-back things like Bitorrent or MMORPG gaming when you start using your VoIP line and allot proper bandwidth for your voice link.

That's when things begin to suffer... So if you are on a shared pipe (say you have roommates), VoIP may become an issue depending on their usage habits (especially if you don't control the router).

It also might be a "you get what you pay for" type of thing. The good thing about Voip.ms is that they are growing and adding servers to address load issues. Other fly-by-night providers are probably running on a single box or something.

Setting up the Nokia built-in client is a PITA, but totally worth it. It supports every codec under the sun, it has tight integration with the contacts app, and it's really power efficient. It's a shame that they keep this gem hidden and don't develop it more to make it easier to configure. I feel it is the only thing that they've done right in the past few years.

Hope this helps.

Device(s)
    Nexus One & iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Another tutorial:

http://www.winkstreaming.com/en/n97_sip/

It's a bit out of date, but I found it helpful getting my N8 up and running.

Feedback Score
    @ambsace Thank you. I found a page this morning.
    http://www.guidingtech.com/mobiles/u...-how-it-works/
    This is half the battle. You are supplying the rest.
    I wound up using Skype as that's what the other user had on the computer.
    I am giving the phone to my daughter who is going to England. Her friend is a computer tech so giving him the info will help set up the phone. I bought the phone unlocked, it's GSM and works on the European bands. I still need to learn this, I am moving to an Android phone and will have the same problem. Nokia tried to install a helper in Firefox without asking or telling me, which made me mad and that's why I'm switching. The phone itself is very good and I was almost ready to hack it. My daughter won't care. She doesn't sync the phone anyway. I'll warn her friend.
    Thank you so much. Your post is what I was looking for, and every site seems to think you know all this, or it's a state secret of some kind.
    CS
    Last edited by carpetshark; 01-24-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: words missing

Device(s)
    Nokia N82
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I use Google Voice with my N82. To do this I use Nimbuz and Gizmo. This setup is a kludge and I can't dial out. The N82 has a SIP client built in but no settings are included or given by Google. Anyone have the correct settings for my phone so I can ditch Gizmo? Thanks.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just got an email saying gizmo is shutting down. I transferred my balance to my GV account.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast