Thread: My Nexus One has Screen Burn In of Notification Bar

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

My Nexus One has Screen Burn In of Notification Bar

Can everyone check their nexus one's? go to landscape view and in the browser go to google.com, and on the left of the screen check if you can see a faint imprint of the notification bar.

sure enough i just checked and i can see my notification bar faintly. the phone is only 1 month old or so, maybe 2 at most. and i've always kept the screen on auto brightness except maybe a few times for 10 minutes i tried out other brightness settings. very disappointing, but since its normal use, i'm very curious to hear if other's have the same issue. i dont see how they cant if this happened from normal use...
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Phones
    FUZE P4600, T-Mobile HD2
    HTC Kaiser P4550
    palm T|X, SE T637
    Carriers
    at&t
    Softbank
    Feedback Score
    OLED should have similar burn-in behavior as Plasma and CRT displays. It's all about uneven wear on the display phosphors, and generally worst at the very beginning. Modern plasma people usually run a varying slideshow of flat colors for first ~120 hours to break in all the display elements evenly ...

Since TFT LCD doesn't have phosphors ...

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    my notification bar has been black since day one, i use FULL brightness at all times
    i just checked and no burn imprints or anything on white screens when in landscape

i use my phone ALOT too.
    Device 1 Daily Use: Galaxy Note N7000 ROM: RocketRom V20
    Previous Android Phones: HTC Dream*sold*, Motorola Milestone*sold*, Nexus One*traded*, Samsung Captivate*sold*, Nexus One*sold*, Sony Xperia Arc*sold*, HTC Desire HD*traded*, HTC Evo 3D*sold*, Asus Transformer*returned x2*,Acer Iconia A500*traded*, Samsung Galaxy S2*traded*, Samsung Galaxy Nexus*traded*
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/JamieD81

Phones
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    iPod Touch 64gb, Droid Eris (reserve)
    Blackberry Tour (sold), Nokia N85, Nokia 5530, MyTouch 3G (reserve)
    Carriers
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    I use my Nexus One for a lot of social networking. Intensively. I don't have signs of burn in on the screen. Yet. I will watch for it. My Nexus One is set to shut off the screen every 15 seconds or so if left untouched.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Phones
    HTC One X
    Samsung M300
    Samsung A660
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...roid-xCFx.aspx

Try this app. Run it for 10-20 minutes. Then see if the burn in is still there.

Phones
    iMate K-Jam, HTC s620
    Motorola MPx220
    Nokia 6820
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    I just checked mine and I have it slightly too.

Instead of checking with your browser, use the flashlight app which turns your screen all white. The other three sides are crisp but the top is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by keiri
    Steve Jobs milks iTards. Congrats on being one of them.

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    yeah I can actually see the signal meter, 3g icon, and the M from the pm time clock. I'm not too upset about it though.

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    also you should install the app called dead pixel detect, it goes thru all the colors and shows very clearly the burn in. white and green are the worst.

Phones
    iMate K-Jam, HTC s620
    Motorola MPx220
    Nokia 6820
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    yup, I ran that too.

I don't necessarily see the icons that you're seeing but rather I see the gradient shading. Regardless of color, the gradient shading is there and won't go away.

jscreenfix didn't help it either.

-Mc

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    the way I see it It's not a big deal since that notification bar will be there all the time anyway.

either the burn in only happens when the screen is brand new, and its now broken in and won't get worse. or it will keep getting worse at which point I might send it in for repair some day.

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wanted to give an update, it was April 30 when I noticed this problem. So since then I decided to rotate the screen to landscape every few minutes for about 30 seconds, just to help avoid that static image causing further image sticking.

Would you believe it but now the burn in started happening on the landscape side! I couldn't believe it, less than 2 weeks, and with me being mindful of this issue. The conclusion is that this amoled screen is just not high quality.

My understanding is that the nexus one amoled 3.7 inch screen is the only one available on the market right now, made only by Samsung with the pentile sub-pixel arrangement. Meaning there is no other choice in the amoled variety and that screen size. Of course regular lcd is an option, but amoled seems like the better choice for a high end device like the nexus one. My opinion is that amoled is just not ready yet.

Google search brings up a lot of info about amoled has WORST image sticking than traditional screens due to each color degrading at different rates. A good PDF is found from a Google search, page 20, showing all kinds of info supporting this. So while I don't fault anybody necessarily, I am angry at the technology in general, early adopter and all that, yet Google and HTC should have known this. Yet view probably did know it, but tool it as an acceptable trade off for using the latest screen tech.

The HTC incredible will prob have this same problem, except that phone comes with a black themed notification bar, those lucky fools.

Phones
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    iPod Touch 64gb, Droid Eris (reserve)
    Blackberry Tour (sold), Nokia N85, Nokia 5530, MyTouch 3G (reserve)
    Carriers
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Blame it on Samsung. They got a lot of phones using their AMOLED technology, including featurephones like the Samsung Jet.

The 3.7 inch AMOLED screen on the Nexus One first appeared on the Samsung Omnia HD then the Omnia II. There maybe other phones that use it too, including the new Lenovo LePhone. Its also used on the new Galaxy A, and the Galaxy S has an even newer 4" screen. Samsung is the leading producer of OLED screens right now. They're even pushing this on TVs. The Samsung Galaxy, Galaxy Spica and Moment also come with AMOLED screens, although its only 3.2".

The Nexus One isn't my first OLED screen phone. My first is a Nokia N85. I'm satisfied with the screen on that. I'm also satisfied on the screen on the Nexus One. I got an iPod Touch and a Droid Eris using traditional TFT LCD technologies to remind me how brilliant and deep the colors on the Nexus One AMOLED screen is. There is just no comparison in terms of color brilliance and saturation.

I will agree that because of the pixelation on the AMOLED screen, the Motorola Droid's screen is actually sharper. The Droid has one kickass screen that makes it hard to look back on an iPhone 3GS. But if you put the Droid next to the Nexus One screen, sharper yes, but the colors and blacks are a duller. Yes. duller and its so seen on the naked eye.

I don't have screen burn on my mine yet. Heck I don't have screen burn even on my Nokia N85. So the burn in maybe be left to chance in terms of batches, like all electronic components do. So its a trade off. A good trade off for the screen brilliance and saturation.

And there is another side benefit. My Droid Eris with a 3.2" TFT screen with only a 528MHz CPU and 288mb of RAM depletes its battery faster than the Nexus One, even though I fitted a 1500mah battery on the Droid Eris while my Nexus One has a 1400Mah battery. The difference lies in the power consumption of the AMOLED screen. I already figured out some time ago to set apps with dark background themes.

All technologies have their drawbacks. I'm told not to use plasma HDTVs on games for example, despite the color saturation because plasma HDTVs are more susceptible to screen burn in.

Phone
    HTC Vivid with ICS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had mine for just about two weeks now and have not had this problem at all, my screen is fine, I hope this is just a random problem but if it does happen well I will just live with it because there is nothing out there that I even want right now except this phone.
    HTC Vivid with 4.0.3.7 ICS Offical AT&T release

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i cant help but think that ALL nexus ones have this problem, and people just havnet noticed yet or looked hard enough. there are some people who even sent their nexus in for repair, HTC replaced the new screen, and then it happened on the replacement as well. so i dont think its a bad batch, i think its inherent of all nexus ones amoled screen.

of course if you rooted and changed your notification bar color, then you will never see this issue. this is only for people who have been using the stock notification bar color.

the scary part is how FAST this happens. took my screen 2 weeks. think about that!

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i cant help but think that ALL nexus ones have this problem, and people just havnet noticed yet or looked hard enough. there are some people who even sent their nexus in for repair, HTC replaced the new screen, and then it happened on the replacement as well. so i dont think its a bad batch, i think its inherent of all nexus ones amoled screen.

of course if you rooted and changed your notification bar color, then you will never see this issue. this is only for people who have been using the stock notification bar color.

the scary part is how FAST this happens. took my screen 2 weeks. think about that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast