Thread: Mobile Browser Vs. Data Usage

Feedback Score

Mobile Browser Vs. Data Usage

Is there a technical network difference between mobile browser and data on the CDMA network using a EVDO connection? I have someone at Bell trying to tell me there is a difference in the way the data is sent..

I think the only difference is which devices they allow to be billed as mobile browser and the way they report usage on your bill. Both regular and smart phones connect and pass data in essentially the same way
    Am I wrong?

Phones
    HTC Touch
    SE T616 is my alarm clock now
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility on unlimited data
    T-Mobile US Roaming
    Feedback Score
    that's my understanding too. Only difference is the device that is sending out evdo data.

Phones
    BlackBerry Q10 (2014)
    BlackBerry Z10 (2013)
    BlackBerry Bold 9900 (2012)
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vaporize
    that's my understanding too. Only difference is the device that is sending out evdo data.
    Same here CDMA wise and also HSPA wise, although since the Smartphones use the APN pda.bell.ca and pda2.bell.ca its probably going through a different server whereas the UMB capable phones use proxy.bell.ca I mean if your using a Phone with Full HTML Browser at lets say 3.6 Mbps and a Blackberry at 3.6 Mbps with its browser, the only thing I can think of is they compress the data, I clearly download a lot of data on to my device yet Bell bills my usuage at about 45 Megabytes even though I download more than that over the month, so I think its compressed data and it would make sense if its from their side since with most Full HTML Browsers you can turn the compressing off or its not compressed