Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mobilicity Data Stick

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    That's definitely a sweet deal. So far there's no indication Mobilicity will unlock, so for the time being it looks better to start with Wind using their 6 months at 50% off (for $27.50), 3 months in you get it unlocked, and when the 6 months are up switch over.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by raynicolini View Post
    does anyone know if any of the stores have the usb stick in stock?
    This is not available yet,

Once it it, any mobilicity store should have them

when you get it, make sure you source a good 3G router so you can take advantage of all the possibilities.

I personally think that with the Mobilicity stick at $40/month, some people may cancel their home internet.

All they would need is a router like the MOFI3500-3GN which is compatible with that stick and you would not noticed a difference.

Will put a review out of the Mobilicity stick as soon as I get my hands on them.

Carriers
    Robbers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonavin View Post
    Speaking of unlock, what is Mobilicity's unlock policy. Bell will do it after 1 month for a fee, and WIND does it for free after 3 months. The others don't have an official unlock policy as far as I know.
    I ended up buying a Wind stick and getting a buddy of mine who has been with them for more than 3 months on a data plan to call and unlock it for me. lol

Overall, I found their data to be slooooooowwwwwwwww. Hopped over to Wind for now with their 50% off promo. Probably will try again in 6 months.

Feedback Score
    not really fair to rate the stick in just 1 day of testing

I tested it yesterday and it was slow but today got close to 2MB

I think we need to give them a week or two to get their act together before making a conclusion.

I will for sure let you know what I think but so far, it is fine at 2MB as long service is constant and keeps working.

I do expect Wind and Mobilicity to have the same speeds in the end once they get settled.

Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    I ended up buying a Wind stick and getting a buddy of mine who has been with them for more than 3 months on a data plan to call and unlock it for me. lol

Overall, I found their data to be slooooooowwwwwwwww. Hopped over to Wind for now with their 50% off promo. Probably will try again in 6 months.

Carriers
    Robbers
    Feedback Score
    I agree on giving them time to get their act together. I have used their service for a month... got my sim during the soft launch, so 1 week pre-launch, 3 weeks after launch. It took Wind 6 months to get their service in Toronto up to standard and I understand Calgary and Vancouver still suck so I'll try DAVE in the new year again.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone use this usb stick up in Richmond Hill, near the Hwy 404 and Elgin Mills area? We have a Bell Turbo Hub, and the signal quality is average (around 3 bars, but at 4 bars with an external antenna attachment) Thanks!

Phone
    Galaxy S3, Note 2, Bold 9900, Q10
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Just a warning to anyone considering picking up one of the Mobilicity data sticks....

Apparently you can't get the $20 unlimited data stick plan if you're on any kind of discounted voice/data plan with Mobilicity. They say you need a standard voice plan. I just assumed I was on a standard plan while receiving a discount ($40 FNF).

In order to get the $20 plan, you'd need to be paying regular price for one of their voice/voice + data plans.

Seems like no matter what you do, you would need to be paying $70-$80 a month just to get a data stick and a cellphone with a voice plan and unlimited data.

In this case, I suppose you'd be better off with Wind, as you can actually get the rate of $25 or so dollars a month with their data stick.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Its only for a year though.

Phone
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icemasta View Post
    Its only for a year though.
    It's true that it's only good for a year, but from my point of view, charging over $25 a month for non high speed internet with all kinds of restrictions is pretty absurd. I can't even begin to understand how Rogers was or is getting away with charging $50+ for non high speed mobile internet with a data cap in place. This type of service should be heavily discounted if you already have a home internet connection in place.

We need a universal solution to combat paying for data on so many different devices. I think advancements are being made to eventually make this happen but many of us are paying multiple bills for what is essentially the exact same service. Home internet, phone internet, portable internet for when you're out of range of your own home internet or cell phone.

The internet companies want you to pay excessive amounts of money for your hoarding of pirated materials from the internet. They're profiting from illicit downloads. Then they'll sell you out when the media companies come knocking on their door wanting to know who is stealing their goods. They facilitate it. They profit from it. They want you to download illegally so they make more money! They can't have it both ways. But they do.

I can't wait for the day that my cell phone is capable of replacing my home internet and data stick. I'm sick of paying 3 bills to access my email......

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yup, I agree. I'm actually thinking of switching to Wind's or Mobilicity's data stick's sometime soon as my Rogers Internet 30% promo should be ending since my usage patterns don't reflect the amount I'm paying Rogers.

Anyone have any comments on if the speeds of the Data Stick is roughly the same as tethering? I see some comments from a couple of months back atop but wondering if anything has changed.

Carriers
    Mobilicity Friends & Family $35 Unlimited Plan
    Feedback Score
    I went to see a dealer to ask about the speeds, and how they compare to what I get on my phone.
    He assured me that the speeds would be quicker with the stick, but couldn't elaborate on how much better.
    I mentioned the complaints I've been hearing about internet being throtled, and he agreed that it was unfortunate.
    He tried to brighten the situation by saying it was good enough for streaming video, but I when I asked if I would be able to download at the same volume I do now(with Bell) he said I couldn't.
    I told him the Unlimited description was misleading when the service offered is actually "Unlimited Light" and he sheepishly agreed.

I would like to shift my internet over to Mobi, but I can't in the current situation.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ealansdale View Post
    I went to see a dealer to ask about the speeds, and how they compare to what I get on my phone.
    He assured me that the speeds would be quicker with the stick, but couldn't elaborate on how much better.
    I mentioned the complaints I've been hearing about internet being throtled, and he agreed that it was unfortunate.
    He tried to brighten the situation by saying it was good enough for streaming video, but I when I asked if I would be able to download at the same volume I do now(with Bell) he said I couldn't.
    I told him the Unlimited description was misleading when the service offered is actually "Unlimited Light" and he sheepishly agreed.

I would like to shift my internet over to Mobi, but I can't in the current situation.
    OK thanks for the info.

Anyone know the return policy on the stick and plan? I hope its more than 1mb like it is for the phones. I don't mind trying it out if it means I can't fully return the stick and the plan if its not what I'm hoping for.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDigitalStore View Post
    not really fair to rate the stick in just 1 day of testing

I tested it yesterday and it was slow but today got close to 2MB

I think we need to give them a week or two to get their act together before making a conclusion.

I will for sure let you know what I think but so far, it is fine at 2MB as long service is constant and keeps working.

I do expect Wind and Mobilicity to have the same speeds in the end once they get settled.
    Not really going to happen for Mobilicity with half the spectrum.

Phone
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icemasta View Post
    OK thanks for the info.

Anyone know the return policy on the stick and plan? I hope its more than 1mb like it is for the phones. I don't mind trying it out if it means I can't fully return the stick and the plan if its not what I'm hoping for.
    The reps at Mobilicity told me that I would be able to return the stick within 7 days, regardless of the amount of data I've used.

I'd still run that question by them again before you decide to purchase. I've received different versions of answers to the same question when I visit their stores.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2